The COVID relief bill will make streaming of copyrighted works for financial gain illegal

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
https://rules.house.gov/sites/democrats.rules.house.gov/files/BILLS-116HR133SA-RCP-116-68.pdf
PROHIBITED ACT.—It shall be unlawful for a person to willfully, and for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain, offer or provide to the public a digital transmission service that—

(1) is primarily designed or provided for the purpose of publicly performing works protected under title 17 by means of a digital transmission without the authority of the copyright owner or the law;

(2) has no commercially significant purpose or use other than to publicly perform works protected under title 17 by means of a digital transmission without the authority of the copyright owner or the law; or

(3) is intentionally marketed by or at the direction of that person to promote its use in publicly performing works protected under title 17 by means of a digital transmission without the authority of the copyright owner or the law.

(c) PENALTIES.—Any person who violates subsection (b) shall be, in addition to any penalties provided for under title 17 or any other law—

(1) fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 3 years, or both;

(2) fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both, if—
(A) the offense was committed in connection with 1 or more works being prepared for commercial public performance; and
(B) the person knew or should have known that the work was being prepared for commercial public performance; and

(3) fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both, if the offense is a second or subsequent offense under this section or section 2319(a).
Most of these pirate streaming sites are gone unless they wanna do up to 10 years in prison. I wonder how Twitch will handle this.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I don’t get it.
It means if you stream a copyrighted work without permission and the copyright holder and they so choose they can come after you and you'll get 3-10 years in prison for doing so depending on your level of offense as well as fines.

You can go to jail for streaming a video game if the publisher comes after you.

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I don’t get it.

Streaming copyright content for monetary gain will get you a felony. If you stream on twitch for example, you are gaining some sort of monetary reward. If a company says nah on that, you going to jail.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It means if you stream a copyrighted work without permission and the copyright holder and they so choose they can come after you and you'll get 3-10 years in prison for doing so depending on your level of offense as well as fines.

You can go to jail for streaming a video game if the publisher comes after you.

But thats only if you’re making money from it. Donations aren’t considered payment for services.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
But thats only if you’re making money from it. Donations aren’t considered payment for services.
I'm gonna bet a high powered copyright attorney will tear that to shreds if a major company decides to go to court over that. Especially since these "donations" are actually considered taxable income.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I'm gonna bet a high powered copyright attorney will tear that to shreds if a major company decides to go to court over that. Especially since these "donations" are actually considered taxable income.

Well i look forward to them going to war with amazon over it. :sas2:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
I'm sorry of all the things. what type of fukking shyt is this? So does twitch just not exist any more?