The Coli's Screenwriting/Filmmaking Thread [Share tips, etc]

Conz

Superstar
Daps
i'm clearly a procrasinator, but I've come up with 4 ideas this week that i could probably elevator pitch. no matter where i end up, or if i even write em, having an idea like that hit you is a great feeling. even if it goes to shyt the second you start trying to lay out a story, it's always a "holy shyt!" eureka moment.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
My script is around 60 pages right now...I need to get it to 90

Currently working on the second draft

Then submit it to some contests

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Is atlanta a good tv writing location?

Yes sir most definitely!

LOTS of talented people just waiting for someone to maximize their talent through a unified vision. Check out the site for my upcoming web series.

Geoffrey's Planet (Film-Making Has It's Source)

EVERYONE involved is an Atlanta native, extremely professional and helpful, and hunger to be apart of anything creative

Also check out the thread I made

I Have A Web Series Debuting In Early 2017. AMA

Spin

All Star
Daps
Any of you have any suggestions for starting out as a film producer? I have approached a few "film schools" for recent grads, but the companies themselves seem to be a waste of time when it comes to referring their students. I looking to start by producing a short film. At this point, I might just start attending film festivals and get out there and meet people doing it.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Any of you have any suggestions for starting out as a film producer? I have approached a few "film schools" for recent grads, but the companies themselves seem to be a waste of time when it comes to referring their students. I looking to start by producing a short film. At this point, I might just start attending film festivals and get out there and meet people doing it.

If you're doing a narrative short film, start with the character bios before you draft a script or treatment. These can be as short as half a page or 20+... the point is you write until you find the voice of your main character(s). The movie is only as interesting as the characters in it, especially when you don't have a budget. The more your characters are fleshed out on paper the less you have to communicate what you want with the actor. Actors can't read the mind of the producer/director but they can read into a well written character which gives them license to make the character their own if they're competent.

Last edited:

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
Are readers anal about the use of pointing out certain things in dialog with parentheses?

For instance:

Jake is holding a box of cereal.

Joe
Not that brand. Grab Golden Crisp.

Would I have to use the (re: cereal) under Joe's name?

Just asking for simple stuff like that. I don't want to overdo parentheses.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
don't use them in the actual dialogue, and you shouldn't have to really. use wryly/parentheticals sparingly and put them under the character above the dialogue. I think it's implied in that line, you don't need one imo.

and if you insist, I'm personally not crazy about "Re: anything" it just looks lazy.

if the brand was important to the scene, I'd probably just put it in the action line.

Jake holds* a box of Corn Pops.

Joe
Nah man, grab the Golden Crisp.

*"is anything" also usually looks pretty bad and doesn't read well.

This is all pretty much 101 shyt that I'm sure don't get nitpicked as much as I am, but why not skip the hassle? Also, i do this, but some hate it... if you really want to highlight the cereal, you can CAPS CORN POPS. That's supposed to be the indicator for the eye. "Remember this, it's important." but if it's not integral, don't caps it. I usually only do it for items that will play into the plot or have a callback later. It's kinda smacking you in the face with it "look at this!!!" but i like doing it. Despite some saying shyt like that is "distracting" I like seeing the occasional CAPS, italalicized word, underlined word, etc.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to not writing anything.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
Fun day of shooting today.

Here's a sneak peak

6VrIaeq.gif