The Chase For The Real Stanley Cup: 2024 Cup Playoffs Thread

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Technically, they did, particularly when it comes to goalies. But it's always relative, which is never taken into account.

We would be seeing this meme on the regular:

idqjz66butvb1.jpg

But back to McDavid. He's smack dab in the middle of his prime and taken his game to an all-time level the past few seasons. His playoff numbers since 2021-22 are insane and he broke the single postseason assists record this year.

So are you saying that the goalies now are bigger, more athletic, and have better equipment to block goals?
What makes it relative, are you saying that the goalies back then were more agile and or had some advantage back then?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
So are you saying that the goalies now are bigger, more athletic, and have better equipment to block goals?
What makes it relative, are you saying that the goalies back then were more agile and or had some advantage back then?
Goalies are bigger and they have bigger equipment on; they take up more space in the net making it harder to score.

I think all players should be judged on the era they play in. Of course if you dropped a modern player into their sport 40+ years ago, they'd look like an alien. But current players also have a massive advantage in training, nutrition, technological advancements, equipment, etc. If you took an old player and gave them all these advantages, they'd be just as dominant, imo.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Florida is the more complete team but Edmonton can explode off the break. They are going to need to find the odd man rushes in the 3rd

FakeNews

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
At least some of y’all will get to see that the NHL on ESPN has a real halftime/intermission show

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Goalies are bigger and they have bigger equipment on; they take up more space in the net making it harder to score.

I think all players should be judged on the era they play in. Of course if you dropped a modern player into their sport 40+ years ago, they'd look like an alien. But current players also have a massive advantage in training, nutrition, technological advancements, equipment, etc. If you took an old player and gave them all these advantages, they'd be just as dominant, imo.

Oh ok true that. It's the same with Basketball. People mock the 60s and 70s, but I have no doubt Wilt, Russell, Oscar Robertson, and Jerry West could play in the modern NBA. Wilt and Russell both were Olympic level track and field athletes, and all of them had games that were very versatile in any era

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
For yall who are watching for the first time, are you enjoying the game?

I am, Hockey is awesome. I thought at first it would be hard to follow the puck on the ice because it looks really frantic. But I'm following the game pretty well

Learning the hockey jargon will come, but that last goal that was scored was nice