The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

IWunD3r

Superstar
Daps
Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE 6m6 minutes ago
The Birth of A Nation is brutal, powerful with a strong vision come to life from Nate Parker. #Sundance2016

Dominick Ferrara ‏@domferrara5 6m6 minutes ago
Sounds like BIRTH OF A NATION was a hit at Sundance. Could be an Oscar contender this year. Can't wait to see it

Alex Billington ‏@firstshowing 6m6 minutes ago
The Birth of a Nation - A triumph in every way. Nate Parker takes this one to the top. Score, performances, story are perfect. Masterpiece.

Chris Barrett ‏@ChrisBarrett 6m6 minutes ago
Nate Parker gets the longest Sundance standing ovation before the film The Birth of a Nation.

Jordan Zakarin Verified account ‏@jordanzakarin 7m7 minutes ago
'The Birth of a Nation' is better than any 2016 Oscar nom; journalists complicit in #OscarsSoWhite best write about it all year. #Sundance

Alex Billington ‏@firstshowing 7m7 minutes ago
Thank the Lord for Nate Parker. The Birth of a Nation > 12 Years a Slave. "Watching a strong man fall is a terrible thing." Bravo.

Jeff Sneider Verified account ‏@TheInSneider 7m7 minutes ago
And there's another Standing Ovation for BIRTH OF A NATION.

Matt Jacobs @tarantallegra
"The Birth of a Nation" is proof that it only takes two notes of Nina Simone's "Strange Fruit" to bring a room to tears. #Sundance

Hollywood Elsewhere ‏@wellshwood
Jadon Gorber says "A Birth of a Nation" is "sure to be major discussion piece and awards contender." Trust me, it's not award-caliber.

Hollywood Elsewhere ‏@wellshwood
Standing ovation for Nate Parker's "A Birth of a Nation," but this Nat Turner saga is slow & sanctimonious -- no African "Spartacus" this.

"A Birth of a Nation" is so taken with the holy righteousness of the Nat Turner-led rebellion that it forgets to convince, persuade, engage.

Jadon Gorber says "A Birth of a Nation" is "sure to be major discussion piece and awards contender." Trust me, it's not award-caliber.

Gregory Ellwood ‏@TheGregoryE
Nate Parker gives an impassioned performance and should be at the top of Hollywood's director hires. #Sundance2016

That being said movie plays with many familiar tropes. A mix of Hollywood-ish staging and artistic vision that doesn't always mesh well.

Whoever picks Birth of A Nation up will also have a faith based audience to sell it to. Very strong part of the film. #Sundance2016

Andrea Mandell Verified account ‏@AndreaMandell 7m7 minutes ago
"Anything dealing with our history...and slavery...has been desperately sanitized." -Nate Parker #BirthOfANation

Amy Kaufman Verified account ‏@AmyKinLA 7m7 minutes ago Park City, UT
.@NateParker says financiers were reluctant about "another slave movie." Heard that people of color don't work at box office overseas.

Hollywood Elsewhere ‏@wellshwood 7m7 minutes ago Park City, UT
Does "A Birth of a Nation" measure up to Steve McQueen's "12 Years A Slave"? No, man -- it doesn't. Revolt takes way too long (90 mins.).

Alissa Wilkinson ‏@alissamarie 7m7 minutes ago
"I want people to ask: are there systems in your life that need change?"
- Nate Parker #Sundance

Glenn Kenny ‏@Glenn__Kenny 6m6 minutes ago
@wellshwood I'm thousands of miles away, and I KNEW you were gonna be "meh" on "Birth of a Nation." Why do you think that is?

Matt Hoffman ‏@HoffmanOnFilm 6m6 minutes ago
Cant deny that Nate Parker's BIRTH OF A NATION is often problematic. That being said, it's super powerful and very very important. #Sundance

Nicholas Bell ‏@RagingBells 6m6 minutes ago
Rightfully usurping the significance of the Griffith title, Nate Parker's Birth of a Nation is long overdue, commendable debut & lead perf.

Tomris Laffly ‏@TomiLaffly 7m7 minutes ago
Birth of a Nation: sharp, angry and an absolute must. Speechless. Congratulations Nate Parker! #Sundance

Jason Gorber ‏@filmfest_ca 7m7 minutes ago Park City, UT
It's Nate Parker's performance that's actually the real heart of BIRTH OF A NATION, is at times subtle, at times full of rage. #sundance

If cacs are panning the movie n low key throwing shots, than it's definitely a good must see flick.

IWunD3r

Superstar
Daps
Dude is hating hard :patrice::mjpls:

CZm_PKbWwAA7lZi.jpg

Lmaoooo Cacs R gonna pan this.. for me that make's this a must see

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lmaoooo Cacs R gonna pan this.. for me that make's this a must see

Well if they are panning it due to lack of action ie "cac murder" than I don't really want to see it either,talking about a rebellion the whole movie,and only killing for the last 15 minutes:wtb:?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
It's getting really impressive reviews.:lupe:

Most I've seen/read say it's every bit as emotionally resonating and powerful as 12 Years A Slave, albeit not always as expertly made because Parker still has ways to go as a filmmaker, but still say it's one of the best films at Sundance by far. And to just touch back my biggest fear, a lot of reviews mention that it handles the moral ambiguity of the retaliatory violence very well, so I'll eat crow on that one.:ehh:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Well if they are panning it due to lack of action ie "cac murder" than I don't really want to see it either,talking about a rebellion the whole movie,and only killing for the last 15 minutes:wtb:?

So that's ALL Nat Turner was huh:stopitslime: a crazed murderer. Surely he COULDNT have been a MAN who was driven towards violent revolution by the circumstances of overwhelming white supremacy, and certainly as a character the audiences wouldn't want to see how his mind set evolved from docile slave to a man who was willing to fight for the freedom of his people by any means necessary. Character development isn't needed whatsoever, no no. We need to skip STRAIGHT to murdering Cacs because that's how we like our action movies:martin:

This movie isn't an Action Movie, and honestly the murdering of Cacs isn't even the most important aspect of Nat Turner's life. It was the TRUTH of the savagery and horror of slavery and White Supremacy that DROVE Nat Turner to take up arms and become a freedom fighter. You've already got Cacs like @TheGodling bytching about "bu bu but...he KILLED innocent Lilly white children!" When he was 100% justified in doing so, but if you base the ENTIRE movie around that, then it strips Nat Turner of HIS humanity because it doesn't allow for exploration of his circumstances, those of our people, or his psyche.

Nat's cause was righteous, and every white oppressor he killed was one less legacy that would've existed to put their boots on our necks today. But Nat Turner wasn't simply a killer, he was a hero and just like Malcolm X and MLK his depiction deserves a complete character study

#tpc

Squirrel from Meteor Man

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"Hollywood Elsewhere ‏@wellshwood
Standing ovation for Nate Parker's "A Birth of a Nation," but this Nat Turner saga is slow & sanctimonious -- no African "Spartacus" this."

But we're the savages.