The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
This movie was disappointing as fukk, and it was basically just another typical slave movie.

The climax was weak.

They build all the way up to a dud in terms of what we see from them in the rebellion. The movie is tame as hell. They killed 60 slave holding people/family members but we only see like 5 on screen, and a battle scene that sucked.

:francis:

Not only do we see little black kids, women and seniors get lynched, set on fire in the closing moments, we don't see any cacs get that work in detail besides that beheading which again was lite.

The end of the movie felt rushed. Nat escaped that Jerusalem battle and was on the run for months and we don't even see how he managed to do so????? Only for us to see him walk into town to get executed.

I haven't been to theaters in so long, and I wanted to love this film, but I was utterly disappointed in the final result.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
no she wouldnt...nobody fuk with Oprah like that anymore this is not 2004. Oprah wanted to make headlines...fuk her she want to leech on something. Parker did the smart thing to keep it about the movie, not this bread and circus bullshyt.... never let them change the narrative

no investors said fukk him...sooo you can stop that lie. Also fuk The Color Purple
What???? Stop the lie. Scroll up and read the article.

Matter of fact I'll quote it for you:

Sources also tell THR that Fox Searchlight, the studio that bought Birth for a record sum, hired a team of PR experts and consultants that included retired NFL player and sexual-violence activist Don McPherson to get Parker "on message," to no avail. “They gave him talking points and he just didn’t execute,” says the source. As for Birth's Oscar chances, Fox is now said to be throwing the bulk of its weight behind its recently acquired property Jackie, the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis biopic starring likely Best Actress contender Natalie Portman.

Again. My point is not to diminish the movie. Or say an oscar is the validation it needs

What I'm saying is with the money and people behind this, it could have reached a wider audience. A lot of blacks don't know this is out, what it's about, and nobody caught a major press run cause they pulled back

You can think Oprah has no power but you'd be wrong. Billionaires have power. Especially female ones. Black female ones. With their own networks. Who can get cbs 1 on 1 interviews with you where SHE controls how tough or easy her friend that she got a show, is going to be on you

That's all I'm saying. I wanted more people to see this. I want it to do major numbers so we can get more films like that. Instead of a dud and a blackball for the brother

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Is that what you get out of slave movies? That we're weak?

They bought us because we're strong
They whipped us, created slave patrols, and passed legislation to punish and kill us and any white that aided us to liberation because we kept breaking our bonds
In spite of them trying to brainwash us and threaten us with death, we continued our customs and developed new ones. We developed new ways of making our work easier, we learned how to read and created our own schools way before it was legal.
We survived an attempt at mass genocide when they thought our numbers were too large and we were no longer useful.
Slave movies are a reminder that we're still here, and we're strong as hell. There's nothing weak about a group of people who have to be oppressed by sheer force and the threat of force. These fukkers were scared of us, and still are.
:wow:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
no she wouldnt...nobody fuk with Oprah like that anymore this is not 2004. Oprah wanted to make headlines...fuk her she want to leech on something. Parker did the smart thing to keep it about the movie, not this bread and circus bullshyt.... never let them change the narrative

no investors said fukk him...sooo you can stop that lie. Also fuk The Color Purple

Also want to add this the same Oprah who a couple years ago when she said one day she wants to interview OJ on he network.

Oprah all about ratings for her network. She would have sold Nate out plan and simple and also going to talk to Oprah doesn't always save your PR hit. Even Mike Vick when he came back from prison avoided her ass.

Last fukk a got damn Oscar. SOME black folks need to get this through they got damn skull.....the Oscar is not for our movies unless it is told from a white view point or has black pathology. So once again fukk a got damn Oscar.

Ain't no way in hell a movie about Nat Turner winning some Oscar.

Maxine Shaw

#ColiFam gave more $ 2 my students than my school
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, N.Y.
You see why your point of view is fukking retarded?

Oh, look. Another one of Nate's nut-licking squad. When was the last time I was even in this thread? (N)ignored.

nikkas can't just swallow their pride sometimes.... this was bigger than him and him taking that help would have pushed this movie to a bigger audience and oscar contention

You really think this man would respect and work with black women? I didn't even see him w/the black press until that dikk sucking Ebony interview.

Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
"Birth of a Nation" Lightyears >>>>>>>>>>>>> Django (And I liked it more than "12 Years" as well)

nat-turner.jpg

Review Incoming, the Melanin Excellence energized my soul. This is the first song that came to mind when I left:

:blessed::salute::myman::whew::whoo::mjcry:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

Did I strike a cord? At the end of the day "Django" was and still is a "White Savoir" film. It should of been called "Dr. King Shultz Unchained". Nate Directed circles around QT in this film and showed just how flawed of a movie it was. LOL @ "Django" not even killing the Slave Master and the last person he killed was a Black Man. Obviously a White Man had to write it and this is coming from a QT fan. The movie had it's moments but it wasn't on "Birth of a Nation" level.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Did I strike a cord? At the end of the day "Django" was and still is a "White Savoir" film. It should of been called "Dr. King Shultz Unchained". Nate Directed circles around QT in this film and showed just how flawed of a movie it was. LOL @ "Django" not even killing the Slave Master and the last person he killed was a Black Man. Obviously a White Man had to write it and this is coming from a QT fan. The movie had it's moments but it wasn't on "Birth of a Nation" level.
You didn't strike a cord at all.

But since Birth of a Nation was by a black man, I can already see that nikkas are going to overrate the fukk out of it. Say what you want about Django, it's level of brutality/gore/detail shyts all over Birth of a Nation. This movie should not have held back considering who made it, and who it was about.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
You didn't strike a cord at all.

But since Birth of a Nation was by a black man, I can already see that nikkas are going to overrate the fukk out of it. Say what you want about Django
, it's level of brutality/gore/detail shyts all over Birth of a Nation. This movie should not have held back considering who made it, and who it was about.

Not really true at all, "Birth" was better techincally on many levels also there's much more to the "Slave Experience" than the Brutality we faced. This is why Nate brought an emotional lens QT could never see or look through. I felt way more connected to "Birth of a Nation" because you knew it happen. "Django" is nothing more than Fantasy.

Mortal1

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Bay Area
"Birth of a Nation" Lightyears >>>>>>>>>>>>> Django (And I liked it more than "12 Years" as well)

nat-turner.jpg

Review Incoming, the Melanin Excellence energized my soul. This is the first song that came to mind when I left:

:blessed::salute::myman::whew::whoo::mjcry:

django was a cartoon honestly compared to this and 12 years a slave

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
django was a cartoon honestly compared to this and 12 years a slave

Sam, Jamie, Leo and Christoph were good it's just the story and the whole "White Savior" complex QT use that been used a million times brings it down. Also the soundtrack and style give it a blaxploation/cartoonish feel, again just a "Fantasy" and doesn't feel like reality though it was refreshing to see a "Black Cowboy" in change. With "Birth" it was great to see a slave narrative told through Black American eyes for once and you could see the difference. Nate was born in Virginia which was were this story took place. Also Nat Turner was real, Soloman Northrup was real. So you connected to those stories more.

This is why "Birth" and "12 Years" were so powerful because Black Directors and Writers wrote them. It was the same reason why "Schinler's List" was powerful because a Jewish man made it. I'm floored he did this with a 7 Million budget, the movie looked great. It's clear there's been a systemic issue going on with Slave Stories in Hollywood because you can see the same patterns over and over again with the "White Savior" complex. This also happen in American History Books which dipicts us as "Happy Slaves" and sanatizes the brutality. This is the problem when we as black people don't tell our own stories then other people tell them and can make up whatever they want.