The biggest damage Diddy did to hip hop was when....

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
...he popularized and co-opted the term "hating." This was in the late 90s.

He took a lot of flack after BIG died, especially in NY. Then he started throwing that term around where it ended up erasing gatekeepers of hip-hop from calling trash....trash. And now we are living with it.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody can really call anything that's as subjective as music "trash". And even still, sometimes it was hating. It wasn't like calling out someone in the 90's was going to make them step up their game. They responded with diss records or it got to the level of where it got physical. And its not like people just sat there and took it or even agreed.

Competition made people step their game up. Either they were competing with themselves or other artists because things were changing so much that you had to keep up.

Crumple

All Star
Daps
...he popularized the term "hating." This was in the late 90s.

He took a lot of flack after BIG died, especially in NY. Then he started throwing that term around where it ended up erasing gatekeepers of hip-hop from calling trash....trash. And now we are living with it.

Where's the reference for him popularizing the term? Haters have been around since before Christ.

NYC Rebel

Daps
Where's the reference for him popularizing the term? Haters have been around since before Christ.
No it wasn’t. That term got extremely popular in the late 90s. You can’t hear any hip-hop references prior to the late 90s calling people “haters.” Puff was throwinf that around like mad.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
IMG-0742.png

“Playa, open the door
Lay on the floor, you've been robbed
Wake up (wake your *** up), take off your jewels
You fukkin fools, you've been robbed (this is a robbery *****)
Playa playa (hater), Playa playa (hater)
Playa playa (hater), Playa playa (hater)
Playa hater (hater) Playa hater (hater)
Playa hater (hater) Playa hater (hater)”

NYC Rebel

Daps
Nobody can really call anything that's as subjective as music "trash". And even still, sometimes it was hating. It wasn't like calling out someone in the 90's was going to make them step up their game. They responded with diss records or it got to the level of where it got physical. And its not like people just sat there and took it or even agreed.

Competition made people step their game up. Either they were competing with themselves or other artists because things were changing so much that you had to keep up.
Bro… some shyt was trash. And it was around that time where MCs had an out around legitimate criticisms or critiques of their work. You couldn’t say anything was subpar anymore because being called a hater was an out. I regret squashing an article I had penned on it back in the late 90s feeling that the embrace of calling people haters when their work was critiqued would erode standards.

PatCake

Alkali Nonmetals
Daps
Reppin
I, for one, welcome our new space overlords.

Very true. You can't like music for someone else.

DarkmanX

All Star
Daps

Think hes talkin about playa haters, which i wouldnt credit Puff or even Big for popularizing.

I feel like "hate" was a thing that came when South got to poppin, especially in the 00s

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Very on point thread.

I remember Common saying this back when his third album was dropping. He said you can't even call something wack anymore because now that makes you a hater. And it's true. That nonsense has lasted to present times, where if you say someone is trash that means you're either a hater or "old". It's like you can't even not like certain music anymore without it being turned against you.

Truth be told, that's why so many of the OG's are scared to speak out today and call out wackness. They're scared. The few that do, always have to preface sh*t like "I'm not hating or anything, but I think...". So without that truth being told about the music now, mad wack sh*t drops constantly and nobody wants to speak about it.

Boonapalist

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
No it wasn’t. That term got extremely popular in the late 90s. You can’t hear any hip-hop references prior to the late 90s calling people “haters.” Puff was throwinf that around like mad.
You must not like Bay Area rap

And there are other examples but those were the first that jumped to my mind