Beetlejuice Beetlejuice #1 Again #1 Again | The Domestic Box Office Thread | Sep. 13-15

Which Movie will Gross More this Weekend?

• Don't Worry Darling

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • The Woman King

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
damn ok. I'm about to do market research :lolbron:
just in time for the 4th of July :wow:

I mean, who didn't like it? You go on the review sites and it's like 96% or some shyt on RT. The audience score is probably the same. The audience scores at other sites are near perfect. Then you look at awards season and it was nominated for a bunch of awards too. It seems like it was pretty much universal praise across the board.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Flabbiana Jones and the Dial of Disappointment: Weekend Box Office Results (Jun. 30 - Jul. 2)

Harrison Ford's send off as :flabbynsick: ana Jones in  The Dial of Destiny is here and it's number one at the box office with $60 million. That's actually an improvement from the $55 million it was looking at after it's $24 million Friday opening. This was the 6th widest opening in history as the movie played in 4,600 theaters. All five movies that open wider open bigger. Matter fact, of the 10 widest openings in history, The Dial of Destiny only beat out The Secret Life of Pets 2's $46.6 million opening from 4,561 theaters. :lolbron:

How does this Indy compared to the prior Indy? The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had a $100.1 million opening weekend back in May of 2008. It ended up doing $126.9 million over Memorial Day weekend. And that movie only had a B cinemascore. If you remember it, it wasn't that good and I haven't seen it since maybe 2010. The dial of destiny actually ended up with a B+ cinemascore. So better word of mouth but a much worse showing in its opening weekend. It makes sense when Dial of Destiny is coming off of Crystal Skull and Crystal Skull was coming off of the beloved Last Crusade.

What's even more perplexing is the fact that Dial of Destiny is rocking a gargantuan $300 million production budget.

elledriver.gif

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull had a $185 million budget back in 2008. Adjusted for inflation, that's $259 million. That is just inexcusable. You know, we talked about Fast X's and Black Adam's budgets. Fast X: $340M and Black Adam: $200M *$260M w/ reshoots, respectively. Black Adam was an unknown superhero origin story that opened on fewer screens and still made $67 million. Like Indiana Jones, Fast X has the history. It opened in even fewer theaters than Black Adam and still made $67 million. That's a flop for The Dial of Destiny no matter how you slice it. :yeshrug:

At least it'll do $82 million over the 5-day holiday weekend.

indiana-jones-dial-of-destiny.gif

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse edges out Elemental for the second weekend in a row. With another 11.5 million in the bank, Miles and the rest of the Spider-Men have totaled $339.8 million domestically and $607.2 million globally. It's now just a couple of million shy of surpassing Zootopia's $341.2 million to become the 15th highest grossing animated movie ever domestically. It's running 8.5% ahead of Guardians 3, which made made $10.6 million in its fifth weekend. :obama:

miles-morales.gif

Elemental dropped to third place with $11.3 million. It's closing in on $100 million domestically with $93.6 million after the holiday weekend. It's looking to catch light years $118.3 million total. For Elemental it's all but elementary at this point. :wow:

thumbs-up-bernie-lumen.gif

Remaining in fourth place was No Hard Feelings with $7.5 million down 50% from its opening weekend. With $29.3 million, it's already passed Sony's The Invitation which made $25.1 million last year. In its second weekend of wide release, Sony's last comedy, A man called Otto, had made $19 million. That movie liked its way to 64.2 million so maybe Jennifer Lawrence and her rear naked suplexes can do what Tom Hanks did.

Jennifer-Lawrence-.gif

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts took 5th with $7 million. So it officially passes The Last Knight's $130.1 million and Bumblebee's $127.1 million totals. I don't foresee it passing Age of Extinction's $245.4 million domestic total but can it pass Bumblebee's $465.1 global total? It's made $379 million so far.

transformers-optimus-prime.gif

Notables

Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken, which @Lootpack mentioned last week, and I saw an ad for on my firestick, opened with $5.2 million. They got an A-cinemascore, not far off of Elemental's straight A. :leon: If you don't know about this movie, I can't blame you. It's an animated DreamWorks pic.

The Flash, which I saw on Tuesday and very much enjoyed, is at $99.2 million after a $5 million 3rd weekend.

The Boogeyman will total $41.5 million after the holiday weekend including $62.3 million worldwide. Without the holiday weekend, it's at $40.9 million which is enough to pass Barbarian's 40.8 million domestic total.

The Top Ten

Rank LWMovieGross%± LWTheatersTotal GrossWeeksDistributor
1-Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny$60,000,000-4,600$60,000,0001Disney
21Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse$11,500,000-39.5%3,405$339,871,8215Columbia
32Elemental$11,300,000-38.7%3,650$88,778,8053Disney
44No Hard Feelings$7,500,000-50%3,208$29,310,9522Sony
55Transformers: Rise of the Beasts$7,000,000-40.4%2,852$136,110,0664Paramount
6-Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken$5,200,000-3,400$5,200,0001DreamWorks
77The Little Mermaid$5,150,000-39.8%2,430$280,998,3286Disney
83The Flash$5,000,000-67%2,718$99,250,9383Warner Bros.
96Asteroid City$3,800,000-58%1,901$18,144,7103Focus Features
108Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3$1,800,000-48.1%1,165$354,875,6239Disney

wait.. when the fukk did guardians of the galaxy volume 3 come out?!?!?!? I havnt seen ONE commercial for this film or heard one person discuss this in real life.. I thought it was coming out next year :dwillhuh: I havnt seen a single instagram promo or anything :dwillhuh:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Nostalgia is not what put Maverick over. Excellent word of mouth is

These days word of mouth is the most important factor of movies success. If nikkas ain't telling their friends how good the movie is the first two weeks, that movie is done

It's such a simple concept but studios stay trying to ice skate uphill. Less effort on quality/innovative storytelling and more cutting corners with cookie cutter trends and half-baked cgi to sell 'spectacle'.

The Flash ppl seemed to know the importance of word of mouth and tried to be slick with the greatestsuperhermovieofalltimegfdfd! campaign leading up to the release.. but something like that can backfire and build resentment if nykkas walkin out the theater are framing their feedback as "nah they bullshyttin this was average at best".

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
This new gen has no type of attachment to Indiana Jones but I wish there was an action/adventure type franchise that kids could fukk with because they are always fun for the family type movies and we need those.
Kinda hate how the genre just got abandoned by studios and thought superhero movies were enough adventure for audiences.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The thread title is HILARIOUS but Dial Of Destiny is actually pretty good. Just got back from seeing it.

Most of the tentpole films this summer have been at least decent. I haven’t seen one that was outright terrible, but for some reason these films don’t seem to be connecting with the general audience. Mor granted, Spider Man: Across The Spiderverse is the only outright classic 10/10 blockbuster but there have been plenty of past summers where a bunch of absolute crap makes a shyt ton of money and yet Antman, Elemental, Flash, Transformers, and now Indiana Jones are outright FLOPPING.

With The Flash I can sort of understand. The Ezra Miller factor really made the film toxic to a lot of people once all of those stories came out that he’s a full blown psychopath. Plus the James Gunn announcement of a full reboot back in January means that the current DC slate are just “goodbye” films from a universe that REALLY died back when Zack Snyder was replaced by Joss Whedon on Justice League. They really should have pushed the James Gunn announcements until August-September.

Elemental is a Pixar film. Pixar used to be the CREAM of the animated crop but its like nobody is charmed by their formula anymore. I took my daughter to see it and was actually surprised that its flopping

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes a lot of movies have been flopping this summer but The Flash is on another level.

Elemental dropped the same week and was the lowest opening for a Pixar movie ever, but it's been in the top 2-3 its whole run so far, and it's likely to have outgrossed The Flash domestically by next week.

Transformers dropped a week before and is still in the top 5. Flash will be lucky to be top  ten by next week.

The only flopped film that comes close to Flash is that Ruby Gillen Teenage Kraken movie, and that had none of the hype and at best a fraction of promotion as Flash.

It remains to be seen how bad Indy 5 ends up doing, but don't expect it to have such dramatic drops week to week as Flash.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Yes a lot of movies have been flopping this summer but The Flash is on another level.

Elemental dropped the same week and was the lowest opening for a Pixar movie ever, but it's been in the top 2-3 its whole run so far, and it's likely to have outgrossed The Flash domestically by next week.

Transformers dropped a week before and is still in the top 5. Flash will be lucky to be top  ten by next week.

The only flopped film that comes close to Flash is that Ruby Gillen Teenage Kraken movie, and that had none of the hype and at best a fraction of promotion as Flash.

It remains to be seen how bad Indy 5 ends up doing, but don't expect it to have such dramatic drops week to week as Flash.
Indy 5 is just about as big of a flop if not more than flash considering its budget. But yeah if it doesn't drop 72% in its second week(more likely would be around 60%) it could catch the Flash domestically buts its really a race to the bottom as both are huge flops regardless, but right now Jones 5 ain't looking good at all especially world wide numbers.