The Athletic sold to the New York Times for $550 Million

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
So if we subscribe to The NY Times we get the Athletic for free?

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
NYT is State Dept trash journalism. But I’m sure what the one breh said is spot on this is about customer data and selling said data to ad companies.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
The Athletic gets a lot of love on here but I think they've fallen off in the past year or so. I have an active sub but barely check it anymore.

Their local content for my teams is lackluster and their in depth feature articles are less frequent now and not as compelling as years past.

boxfullofjoel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
6x revenue is pretty inline for a lot of these digital subscription businesses.

Probably see potential to increase the subscription price, boost ad inventory / cpms, cross-sell / bundle with NYT subscribers
You have examples of other 6X media platforms? This looks like almost a software company multiple.

Daps
Reppin
NYC
You have examples of other 6X media platforms? This looks like almost a software company multiple.

Netflix is the easiest example for Direct to consumer. It’s a premium name that trades at 8-9x currently. Same with Roku.

if you look at sum of the parts valuation for the digital subscription businesses of other media players (Disney Plus, Paramount Plus) those trade in same area.

trick

sleeping
Supporter
Daps
The Athletic gets a lot of love on here but I think they've fallen off in the past year or so. I have an active sub but barely check it anymore.

Their local content for my teams is lackluster and their in depth feature articles are less frequent now and not as compelling as years past.

I noticed most of the local writers that I followed all left the Athletic and went back to the regional sports networks/papers too. Their positions were never filled too. I actually thought they were going to go bankrupt, big surprise to me that they were able to flip it for literally half a billion when they barely drop new content these days

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Message they just sent out

--------------------------------------
Today marks an incredible milestone for The Athletic. We are thrilled to announce that we have entered into an agreement to be acquired by The New York Times Company, a transaction that is expected to close in the first quarter of 2022.

The New York Times Company has set the standard for excellence in journalism, and as we look towards the future, their support will enable us to continue producing the best sports coverage on earth for an even wider audience.

Nothing about your The Athletic subscription is changing at this time. We will continue to invest in our world-class newsroom and the local and national coverage you can’t get anywhere else.

We cannot mark this important moment without offering our profound gratitude to you, our subscribers. When we founded the company in 2016, we hoped to become the sports page for every city worldwide. Your readership and unwavering support have allowed us to hire the best people in the business who in turn create the best sports content in the world.

Here’s to the future of The Athletic with The New York Times Company behind us. Thank you for believing in the power of great sports journalism and for supporting us as we embark on this new chapter. Onward!

Adam & Alex

Co-Founders of The Athletic

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
So if we subscribe to The NY Times we get the Athletic for free?
That’s what I’m wondering as well. I’m under a subscription until around August I think. Been a subscriber for about 2 years or so. But I get come entertainment credits with my credit card, which includes the NYT. So I’d be good with getting a credit on my subscription if that’s the case.