The Anti-hero/Grey Villainy is the worst thing to happen to the way antagonists are written in comics, TV and movies.

Agreed?

• I agree, it needs to stop

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • I agree, but, I like it when it's done right

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • I don't think it happens that often

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Love it, it brings depth to villians besides "I wanna destroy all the world"

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • It doens't bother me at all

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
What was wrong with Kilmonger's plan? it was to overthrow and destroy the global white power structure/white supremacy in a coordinated and surprise attack. Did you miss the part where they said Wakanda has spies embedded in every high level nation which they were going to hit first?.
This ain't what the thread is about;

But, how about starting a war with every nation in the world? :mjlol: Wakanda had zero relationships with other nations--spies be damned.

If it if came to it; they'd have to go against the Avengers. And in MCU cannon, they couldn't even take on JUST Atlantis and Namor.

You think they winning WW3 against the entire world?

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
His goal which was the emancipation of black people globally from the white power structure/white supremacy :mjtf: .

I have zero problem with that...they made him comically villianous.

Not one attempt at diplomacy just; "I'm the king now, time to kill whitey."

Again, he went from "Awwe, he didn't have his dad to :to:" to "Well, he was still right...he didn't have his dad, remember?"

The way it was written was sloppy. It made a mockery of his entire position.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Wakanda had zero relationships with other nations--spies be damned

How can you say spies be dammed when the movie literally tells you they have spies in high level nations :heh:

What does a "spy" do? :dead:
If it if came to it; they'd have to go against the Avengers. And in MCU cannon, they couldn't even take on JUST Atlantis and Namor.

You think they winning WW3 against the entire world?

In the context of the first Black Panther Movie where Wakanda was written as greatly superior to all of course they would have taken over.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Yes and no

No because I think in more mature and adult oriented content it makes sense and is justified. Adults know bad people with good intentions or heart, and know the trials, tribulations they go through trying to do good, or why they had to do bad to accomplish their goals. It's realistic in that way, and it's constructive to tell stories that don't outright demonize people because it helps tell the story of them and that they may someday rehabilitate, be helped, or maybe even help steer someone whose on that path onto another.

Yes for kids/youth content because as kids you should learn at a base level that certain shyt isn't acceptable in society. They aren't mature enough to understand the layers of depth behind people's reasonings and could misuse those hidden meanings.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Not one attempt at diplomacy just; "I'm the king now, time to kill whitey."

Why would Killmonger negotiate and be diplomatic with the white power structure/white supremacy? :what:

At the point when he took over Wakanda. He was in charge of the most advanced and powerful nation on the planet and in a position of ultimate strength :mjlol:

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
No because I think in more mature and adult oriented content it makes sense and is justified. Adults know bad people with good intentions or heart, and know the trials, tribulations they go through trying to do good, or why they had to do bad to accomplish their goals. It's realistic in that way, and it's constructive to tell stories that don't outright demonize people because it helps tell the story of them and that they may someday rehabilitate, be helped, or maybe even help steer someone whose on that path onto another.
Breh, go anywhere on the internet and ppl are carceral as shyt.

People don't apply that to ppl stealing TV's in a riot, but, will with a mass murderer?

Again, it gets to the point where the main character becomes the antagonist and written as torn stopping them from accomplishing their goal rather stopping a villian for the good of society.

That works in dramas where the villian is an a$$hole, at worst. Not action movies were on average the villians have 25 bodies by the time the climax happens.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Breh, go anywhere on the internet and ppl are carceral as shyt.

People don't apply that to ppl stealing TV's in a riot, but, will with a mass murderer?

Again, it gets to the point where the main character becomes the antagonist and written as torn stopping them from accomplishing their goal rather stopping a villian for the good of society.

That works in dramas where the villian is an a$$hole, at worst. Not action movies were on average the villians have 25 bodies by the time the climax happens.
Well, that's what I mean

In a lot of these movies the villain is "right" and hasn't fully crossed the line. They don't usually do it when they have, and if they do, at worst they are just spared rather than killed, and usually the redemption arc takes place in a future movie.

At this current moment I can't think of a movie that redeemed a villain with a pile of legit bodies. (Light spoilers) Even in BP2 that wasn't really the case, they just spared the villain for the sake of preventing more bodies from dropping

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I just realized how much of a straight up menace Anakin was by the end of Episode III. That was a great antagonist build up tbh. That said, the Emperor practically had zero gray. Not in a single movie and official off-shoot did that guy have 2nd thoughts about doing anything else.

I'm impartial tbh, I think it's nice to have them on a scale. Mission Impossible antagonists tend to also be focused on conquering.

Last edited:

Umoja

Veteran
Daps

You can't tell my that scene didn't hit hard.

A good villain will have strong convictions which will more than likely be rooted in things people can understand. There's nothing wrong with that.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
If Thanos is an example of this then your whole premise is wrong.

Killmonger and Omar as well.

So like.. find some examples where this "grey villian" thing has ruined a movie or show.

Thanos is particular was excellent

Warren Peace

Superstar
Daps
The best villains are just absolute fukking haters doing awful things off the strength of that.