The African-Non Slave descendant American dilemma

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
@Golden thanks for posting that video breh. I never really listened to her show before but she's dropping some important stuff. It's getting me thinking more deeply about how this society uses African immigrant success (and to some extent, manufactures it) to mask the fact that America continues to treat New Afrikans as it always has.

Ezigbo Nwanyi

From the East
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Home of Dr. Michael Okpara & GeneralAguiyi-Ironsi
@Golden thanks for posting that video breh. I never really listened to her show before but she's dropping some important stuff. It's getting me thinking more deeply about how this society uses African immigrant success (and to some extent, manufactures it) to mask the fact that America continues to treat New Afrikans as it always has.

Brehette actually, but although I dont agree with all of what she says, she does have a point about America masking the effects of slavery.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm fairly sure the majority of African peoples that immigrate to the United States are wealthier than the population of people they're leaving, and/or more highly-educated than the population of people they're leaving behind.
In examining the concept of "privilege," this is the part a lot of people overlook.
If you think racism starts and ends with discrimination due to skin color, you're not even seeing half of the picture.
AAs descended from slavery are dealing with the after-effects of slavery, the poverty that came from being forced into extractive institutions, not allowed to attend colleges, no chance of upward mobility, impoverished regionalism, White flight, Drug Wars, poor primary education, etc.
For an African person moving here, you are freed from those issues, and only deal with the visible discrimination, though you'll often here upper-middle class Nigerian and Ghanian brehs talk of "hard work."
As if moving to the US and having to go to college for a second time, before you go off to graduate school is the same as overcoming issues very specific to AAs (outlined above).
There was a thread on Top-Law-Schools earlier this week where some of the African immigrant law students expressed disbelief at not being as disadvantaged as the AA population. Pretty interesting to read.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I'm fairly sure the majority of African peoples that immigrate to the United States are wealthier than the population of people they're leaving, and/or more highly-educated than the population of people they're leaving behind.
In examining the concept of "privilege," this is the part a lot of people overlook.
If you think racism starts and ends with discrimination due to skin color, you're not even seeing half of the picture.
AAs descended from slavery are dealing with the after-effects of slavery, the poverty that came from being forced into extractive institutions, not allowed to attend colleges, no chance of upward mobility, impoverished regionalism, White flight, Drug Wars, poor primary education, etc.
For an African person moving here, you are freed from those issues, and only deal with the visible discrimination, though you'll often here upper-middle class Nigerian and Ghanian brehs talk of "hard work."
As if moving to the US and having to go to college for a second time, before you go off to graduate school is the same as overcoming issues very specific to AAs (outlined above).
There was a thread on Top-Law-Schools earlier this week where some of the African immigrant law students expressed disbelief at not being as disadvantaged as the AA population. Pretty interesting to read.
I'm gonna check out that tls topic

Also did you apply this cycle?

Also not too sure that black immigrants are t also affected by many of the issues AAs face

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm gonna check out that tls topic

Also did you apply this cycle?

Also not too sure that black immigrants are t also affected by many of the issues AAs face
Yah, got GULC w/ a little money, W&M with a near-full ride, full-ride from state flagships, conditional full-ride from Howard, etc.
I'm reapplying this fall, hopefully LSAC will give me some waivers, as well as UVA, Cornell, UMich, Northwestern, and Duke.
And they are, just not with some of the issues you're essentially "born into" as an AA.
For my African brehs who grew up in a Black neighborhood in the US, they likely faced very similar realities to AAs, including education difference and issues of poverty. Culturally, there still tends to be a much stronger hand from parents, same as many East Asian, and Eastern European parents, so they're often kept as high-achieving students.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Yah, got GULC w/ a little money, W&M with a near-full ride, full-ride from state flagships, conditional full-ride from Howard, etc.
I'm reapplying this fall, hopefully LSAC will give me some waivers, as well as UVA, Cornell, UMich, Northwestern, and Duke.
And they are, just not with some of the issues you're essentially "born into" as an AA.
For my African brehs who grew up in a Black neighborhood in the US, they likely faced very similar realities to AAs, including education difference and issues of poverty. Culturally, there still tends to be a much stronger hand from parents, same as many East Asian, and Eastern European parents, so they're often kept as high-achieving students.
I got waitlisted at GULC I'm finna send a LOCI pretty soon

Good luck breh

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
That issue is, involving ourselves in Black benefits claiming being Black while other Blacks who badly struggle by no real fault of their own do not benefit from this as the affects of slavery have destroyed their physic, mindset and vision to build and grow a community and thus for the future.

Are you saying it's Black Americans - aka "DOS" are at fault for these issues? If so, this is untrue.

I do not feel what my full DoS cousins feel. To where smoking and drinking, isn't for fun, but it's to cope. Where I overly have to rely on religion because everything, even my mind is fugged up due to centuries of white supremacy. To the point, I don't even want to really talk about it. I'll rather talk about hoes and sports or relationships and RHOA. This is so real for many DoS. This is what I don't think Halfricans, mulattoes as well as other mixed races do not understand or get which I do get. I don't even think Blacks understand how fukked up they are due to white supremacy of over 500 years.

Do you really believe the majority of Black American/DOS engage in this behavior - meaning smoking, drinking - so much it deters them from trying/working in life?

Do you really believe or blame sports, relationships and reality TV shows for the issues in the Black community? Especially, when Africans and other immigrants tune in and engage in the exact same behavior.

In my opinion, the issue is education of Africans/African Immigrants about slavery and reconstruction. One thing, that struck me about Luuvie - and others such as the guy that played Kunta in the latest Roots - is they didn't learn or know about Slavery or the Black Experience in America. They only knew us from media, entertainment - music videos. It's mind blowing for that not to be taught - especially since our ancestors are from the continent of Africa. I would think the history would be told and they could connect with it - meaning feel empathy but see how far we have come.

I think it's a respect issue - they don't see us as trying or grateful I guess - and their view of us via the media - has lead to many biased stereotypes and buying into the white supremacist mind-set or opinions about Black Americans.

I also think that Africans are very country/community/tribal based - and they have always practiced that - they are proud of their specific country/people/customs/tribes. Skin color is just skin color - it's about lineage/custom/tribe/community. This is their way of life - I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Black Americans see skin color as our tribe/community - that's the issue.
I will respond to this tonight.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I've felt this to be true OP

But undertaking policy-measures to reduce the over-representation of recent immigrants from Africa (or their children) from spots typically reserved for Af-Ams will cause a bifurcation of Black people in America. What solutions do you have in mind?
I do not buy the business working relationship idea as I buy into the DoS/African connection when it comes to the middle class building together.

No offense, but a poor African or poor DoS can't help each other.

So my solutions are:

1. Both DoS and Africans must become far more political. I mean, we need to know our African embassies(US and abroad) and their representatives like cacs know their Fox NEWS and right wing radio hosts.

We need to create relationships on both sides and start businesses that way. Is this enough, of course not but it's a legit start.

2. Realizing even degrees from cac University isn't success, that businesses and networking is. But we have to have some form of success to be open to other forms of success.

3. Realizing that it will take a work of God to really end white supremacy. As they control every damn thing including Africa.