Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Tallac

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This is so true. Biya has been president for 32 years, prime minister before that. There is absolutely nobody ready to replace him,:snoop: He's the laziest president ever too. I just hope that his son won't replace him. It looks like a huge storm coming, with those tribal tensions going on already. The so-called opposition is completely useless (Some legitimate reasons tho). The next elections will be in 4 years, Biya will be 85 :beli: and I already know he will show up to those elections. We desperately need new blood, but the future looks gloomy.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
posted edited with the right tweets.

saying no is like saying.. well blacks and whites dont get along so lets seperate black and white states and or better yet lets send those blacks back to africa..

edit: the situation is what it is right now. no need to split africa. cause all this will come down to resources. and so long as areas are kept unstable and lawless their resources will be stole and there will be nothing can be done about it then.

The idea that the West is trying to balkanize the artificial states they created is insane. These countries being arbitrary and not organic is the reason why they have been getting pillaged.

I rather that Africa balkanizes based on ideology, become stable then consolidate. Or a Charlemagne pan-African leader will have to emerge but I can't see it at the moment.

Kritic

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The idea that the West is trying to balkanize the artificial states they created is insane. These countries being arbitrary and not organic is the reason why they have been getting pillaged.

I rather that Africa balkanizes based on ideology, become stable then consolidate. Or a Charlemagne pan-African leader will have to emerge but I can't see it at the moment.
i don't think you've watched the docs i'm talking about for you to say that.
2. i don't know who the guy who wrote the tweeter is nor his "bias", who he works for etc... nor the condition nigeria is in and how much damage or hostility they have against each other.
i'm sure there are white ppl here who feel the same way against black ppl. and like wise on black ppl's part. but those african countries need a leader who is above all that and unite them. unless there's just none left.
i glanced his twitter and he doesn't wanna hear nothing about "we". he sounds like a right wing [african] nut. :manny:

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
i don't think you've watched the docs i'm talking about for you to say that.

i glanced his twitter and he doesn't wanna hear nothing about "we". he sounds like a right wing [african] nut. :manny:

1. Those docs deal with African leaders at a different time. America and Russia made Europe decolonize but they didn't g check them after that.

2. Hw doesn't believe in "we" because it doesn't exist yet

Kritic

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. Those docs deal with African leaders at a different time. America and Russia made Europe decolonize but they didn't g check them after that.

2. He doesn't believe in "we" because it doesn't exist yet
there's plenty of artificial identities which ppl live by. christianity, religious, sports team etc...

if nigeria and other neighboring countries were trying to unite under some other identity then i'd agree it doesn't exist yet. but right now they have nigeria to identify with. it's there. now whether he wants to accept it or not thats his problem. being nigerian isn't denouncing whatever he is. he can still be an igbo and a christian. and respect nigerians law of the land to coexist with other nigerians.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
there's plenty of artificial identities which ppl live by. christianity, religious, sports team etc...

Those aren't artifical. Those are organic. People organized and mobilized under their own free will to make that happem

if nigeria and other neighboring countries were trying to unite under some other identity then i'd agree it doesn't exist yet. but right now they have nigeria to identify with. it's there. now whether he wants to accept it or not thats his problem. being nigerian isn't denouncing whatever he is. he can still be an igbo and a christian. and respect nigerians law of the land to coexist with other nigerians.

What is Nigeria besides borders and land?

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
SO what about the small business economy in those African coutries like Tanzania, southern Nigeria, and Angola?

Who actually controls the wealth: the black majority or the Arab/foreign minority? Small businesses like restaurants and the big chains?

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
16 Incredible Facts Will Change the Way You Think About Africa
By Aubrey Hruby August 28, 2014

NTY0YjE3MmM1MSMvNzlNRGVwb0xpclZPNHlFd2ZtbkpBbjNaeW9nPS8xMHgxMzU6OTc3eDc0NC84NDB4NTMwL3MzLmFtYXpvbmF3cy5jb20vcG9saWN5bWljLWltYWdlcy9iMDA3NmIwNjY2ZDk5NGQxNDk5OTVhZDRmMDBjMDBjODI0NDZkY2MwMTY4NDY4NjhmOWUzMzJjMmJhMjdlODU5LmpwZw==.jpg

16 Incredible Facts Will Change the Way You Think About Africa
Image Credit: Kai Krause
This is a guest post written by Aubrey Hruby and and Eliot Pence. Hruby is a Visiting Fellow at the Africa Center at the Atlantic Council and is a consultant helping companies do business in African markets. Eliot Pence is the director of the Africa practice at McLarty Associates and founder of Upstream Analytics.

Africa has officially arrived. Earlier this month at the first ever U.S.-Africa Leaders Forum, Washington D.C. saw more Africa than ever before. Forty-two African heads of state joined President Obama in ushering in a new era. Anyone who cares about Africa couldn't help but feel excited at the additional attention the summit brought the continent — a continent too few know enough about.

"Africa rising" is the bumper-sticker description for Africa's dramatic change. But the phrase doesn't quite capture the enormity of the change. At Africa's current growth rate, living standards will increase more in 50 years than they did over in 1,000 years in the West.

While Africa's economic success is staggering, the implications reach far beyond that. There's a perfect storm of innovation. Economic growth has led to a technological boom and cultural renaissance. The transformation is dramatically changing the way Africa is seeing the world, and how the world is seeing Africa. In the future, Lupita and Chimamanda may be as common as Barack and Madiba, two African names Americans already know well.

Here are 16 facts that prove why Africa is the continent everyone should be watching.

1) In the 1970s, Africa's entire population was one-half of Europe's. Today, Africa's population is more than double the EU's.

2) More transactions are done by mobile money in Kenya than in the U.S. Kenyans have done$12.5 billion worth of business in the first six months of 2014.

3) Over 100 incubators have been founded in the past 48 months in Africa. And you thought Silicon Valley was the future of technology.

4) Rwanda ranks highest in the world for number of women parliamentarians at 64%.

c647f81f02b132e26184e6fde8b74ef3.png

Image Credit: National Geographic

5) Africa has four wireless cities including Dar es Salaam in Tanzania and Kigali in Rwanda.

6) In less than three generations, over 40% of the world's youth will be African.

015c06e9dee18b1ea2852f2ab6166c83.png

Image Credit: The Washington Posthttp://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-demographic-future-of-the-earth-in-9-charts/

7) Cell phones have changed everything (70% of Africans own one). An African kid with a cell phone has access to more immediate information than the president of United States did 15 years ago.

8) Nollywood, Nigeria's movie industry, is the second-largest movie industry in the world behind Bollywood, and puts out twice as many movies as Hollywood.

c04cc89a92d5886644e6f76b5d73abfe.jpg

Image Credit: Indiegogo

9) Africa is now nearly as urbanized as China, and has as many cities of 1 million people or more — the same as Europe.

10) Major Silicon Valley titans like Facebook and Google now battle it out in Africa, with both companies investing in projects to bring Internet access to isolated parts of the continent.

11) More Guinness is drunk in Nigeria than Ireland.

31e0dfc50f2c3ff0dbd6c35571a6916f.jpg

Image Credit: John Atherton via Flickr

12) Africans and people of recent African descent are highly educated. Of the 300,000 educated Africansin diaspora, 30,000 of them have Ph.D.s.

13) Fifteen years ago, Tanzania's population was the size of California. In 2100, it will be 276 million, nearly the size of America's today.

14) In the next three years, the number of smartphone shipments to Africa will double. Some even predict that the majority of Africans will own a smartphone by 2017.

15) Champagne consumption is growing faster in Nigeria than anywhere else in the world.

16) Also, Africans like us. Three of the top 10 countries with positive views of the United States are African!

d47eb7ca34844930b97724ef99e08784.png

Image Credit: Pew Research Center

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
http://www.africanancestry.com/testimonials/

Common and Erykah Badu are both Cameroon
Judge Hatchet is Nigerian
Oprah traces back to Liberia
Jesse Jackson is Sierra Leone
Samuel L Jackson is from Gabon
Kim Coles comes up Senegal
Morgan Freeman...Niger
Chris Tucker...Angola and Cameroon
Jim Brown...Nigeria

REP. BOBBY L. RUSH (D-IL)
GHANA

Rep John Lewis is of Sierra Leone

Remember people the test is $300 for the maternal kit and $300 for the paternal kit....support Rick Kettles...

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is so true. Biya has been president for 32 years, prime minister before that. There is absolutely nobody ready to replace him,:snoop: He's the laziest president ever too. I just hope that his son won't replace him. It looks like a huge storm coming, with those tribal tensions going on already. The so-called opposition is completely useless (Some legitimate reasons tho). The next elections will be in 4 years, Biya will be 85 :beli: and I already know he will show up to those elections. We desperately need new blood, but the future looks gloomy.

Isn't it ironic when you think about it.....Africa will have the youngest population decades from now....we know all about those stats.....but their representation in government will still be one of the oldest :beli:

its like a Reagan in almost every country...in terms of an old ass person running and not stepping down....

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Move over, Hepburn and Bogart: This is the new Africa
Kenya's filmmakers are upending Hollywood tropes and giving the world a more complex view of their homeland.

Veve, had its Kenya premier last week before embarking on the independent film festival circuit.

Veve is a thriller about politics and khat, a mild herbal stimulant grown in Kenya, loved by Somalis and banned as a drug in the US and Europe. It’s ambitious, with an ensemble cast and a range of Kenyan locations.

Kenya has the talent, the ambition, the imagination and the drive. What it doesn’t have is a properly functioning film industry.

Reshaping Africa on the screen
vv_kenzo_c_one_fine_day_films.jpg

Still from Veve (Courtesy: One Fine Day Films)

Veve is the product of an annual two-week film workshop set up in 2008 by Tom Tykwer, the German director of Run Lola Run and Cloud Atlas. The workshops attract applicants from across Africa and afterwards alumni are selected to work on a feature film. Without Tykwer and his One Fine Day Films, backed with money from the German government, Veve would not have been made.

Nor would three previous feature films in which Kenyans have turned the tables on Hollywood, using the language of film to tell their own stories. “There’s a way the world wants to see Africa and that isn’t the way Kenyans, for example, see themselves,” said Veve’s producer Sarika Lakhani of One Fine Day Films.

Soul Boy was the first film to come out of the workshop. Written by acclaimed author Billy Kahora, managing editor of literary magazine Kwani?, Soul Boy tells the story of a teenaged boy in the Nairobi slum of Kibera who goes on a quest to find his father’s lost soul.

Filmed in the local Swahili language, the magical realist movie-making showed Kibera as it is: filthy, poor, and full of life. Its $80,000 budget was peanuts for a feature film but well beyond the reach of local filmmakers without foreign backing.

The breakout film Nairobi Half Life was shot in 2010. It drew big audiences in Kenya and has racked up awards on the festival circuit. The tale of the rural boy with big dreams moving to the city to seek his fortune only to find that life is tough is familiar, but the truthfulness of the urban setting grabbed audiences. Nairobi Half Life showed Kenya’s capital for the modern city it is, with all the good and the bad that implies.

Still from Nairobi Half Life (Courtesy: One Fine Day Films)

Apart from the storylines and the settings it is the high quality of the productions that startled people used to the cheap and cheerful disposable hysteria of Nigeria’s ‘Nollywood’ film industry or its Kenyan imitation, ‘Riverwood’, named for the Nairobi street where many of the production houses are found.

Wanted: Self-starters
Veve’s first-time director Simon Mukali, 31, said that although still small, Kenya’s film industry is growing along with domestic demand for locally made movies. As with much else in Kenya, innovation comes despite, not because of, government.

“We have a problem with [lack of] government support and there are too many barriers,” said Mukali.

Lakhani, the producer, said there are no tax incentives for film productions and financing is nearly impossible to find. She said the workshops and the films that follow are about “creating craftsmanship and bringing out that talent, but it’s also about creating a market”.

Kenya has a long way to go before it competes with the likes of South Africa in attracting the kind of international filmmakers or big advertising productions that can feed the local industry. Nor is cinema-going part of the cultural landscape: there are only seven multi-screen movie theatres in the country.

Veve scriptwriter Natasha Likimani, 32, applied for a place on the 2010 workshop after being “blown away” by Soul Boy. “It was great to see something that was ours,” she said.

Like many of her colleagues in the Kenya film industry Likimani works mostly for television — where there are regular jobs and money — but aspires to make more features.

Mukali also shares that dream, building on experience and freedom he gained through working on Veve. “They give you the chance to take risks and they trust you to tell the story, your own story,” he said.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...7/move-over-hepburn-and-bogart-the-new-africa

Mr Bubbles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Man, I get in some of the dumbest arguments in the world. People are arguing with me that black Africans cannot naturally be light skinned without interracial breeding.

Kritic

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, I get in some of the dumbest arguments in the world. People are arguing with me that black Africans cannot naturally be light skinned without interracial breeding.
well... technically that's true.

Mr Bubbles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
well... technically that's true.

So all black Africans with lighter skin tones are results of interracial breeding? No matter what part of Africa they are from? I've seen whole tribes and groups with light brown skin. I just want some perspective. I've also been told we have the least diverse genes of the "races".