Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Dang! Can you give me a link to the bolded? I knew about Tutsi groups in Eastern DRC but never about genocide on native Congolese ethnic groups. Ironic that its now the Tutsis doing the very same thing that they were victim too.

No I don't this is a type of info you get on the ground or if you have people on the ground. It's the same tactic of what happened in Burundi in the 1970s the genocide they never talk about (killing of Hutus by Tutsi-dominated army) where you start eliminating the tribal leaders, professors and other elites.

Burundian genocides - Wikipedia

If Kabila is removed,then Rwanda and Uganda won't get a free pass. Kabila is good for Rwanda and Uganda. Without him, they are not plundering Eastern DRC. Once he is out and replaced by somewhat of nationalist, it's over for the neighbors.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
No I don't this is a type of info you get on the ground or if you have people on the ground. It's the same tactic of what happened in Burundi in the 1970s the genocide they never talk about (killing of Hutus by Tutsi-dominated army) where you start eliminating the tribal leaders, professors and other elites.

Burundian genocides - Wikipedia
I HOPE I do NOT sound offensive. The Rwandan genocide was among the worst genocides ever. But I've have always said that Rwanda(Tutsis) is the "Israel of Africa" in that they use their painful past to guilt trip anyone who questions their agenda to proceed with that agenda. Again I hope I do not sound offensive but it seems the Tutsis have always been a dominate group for their small population size that have always caused some issues in that part of Africa. Again I hope I do not come off offensive.

If Kabila is removed,then Rwanda and Uganda won't get a free pass. Kabila is good for Rwanda and Uganda. Without him, they are not plundering Eastern DRC. Once he is out and replaced by somewhat of nationalist, it's over for the neighbors.

I always assumed Kabila was BAD for Rwanda and Uganda?:ohhh: Why do you state that?

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
The pressure on him right now is quite great. But it was far greater last December. Now things are quiet after the death of Tshikedi (sp?) and the defeat of Hilary Clinton - who was active in Central African affairs and who is an ally to Susan Rice (spits).

I'm hedging here, but I think Kabila survives past 2018 as Congo's President. If he's willing to create a state of emergency to retain power, I wonder whether the masses in Kinshasa won't try to remove him by force...
:jbhmm:

Hilary Clinton and Susan Rice were staunch advocates of Kagame hence nothing got done when all the UN reports about Rwanda sponsoring rebel groups throughout the region. So a non-Clinton administration is a small plus for DR Congo. The Europeans were more of a an opposing force to Kabila than Obama/Clinton.

I don't think he is going to survive the pressure is too great you are right that it was greater last year when you have regional influential groups whether it be countries or regional organizations then you know your time is about to be up. Nowhere else in Africa I think is regional influence greater than international influence (US/EU) the Great Lakes Region.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

Lets see....

1. Newcomers to "history" like Slav people
  2. Like slavs they are looked down upon by MANY Africans. The word "Bantu" like Slav is usually threw around like a negative term. Forget Horners... I see many West Africans in a way look down on Bantu people and throw the term around negatively.
  3. Like Slavs they have a long and painful history, but also a HARDENED history that made them badasses. Battle of Stalingrad and many of the deadly wars in Eastern Europe and also the Congo Wars, Angolan War, Bush wars, etc.
  4. Both were largely enslaved.
  5. I notice this part A LOT. Both of their histories are largely ignored. Hell Bantu history is largely neglected/ignored by these so called "Africanist"
  6. Both are newcomers to their areas.

I can go on...

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Competition Commission: Fresh produce dealers ‘collude’ to up food prices and muscle out emerging black farmers

GREG NICOLSON | BUSINESS | 24 MAR 2017 12:09 (SOUTH AFRICA)

849x493q70nicolson-marketcollusion.jpg

The Competition Commission is waging war on corporate collusion and on Thursday it conducted raids on nine fresh produce market agents. The implicated companies deny the allegations, but it could be another case of corporate collusion affecting the poor. By GREG NICOLSON.

The Competition Commission on Thursday raided nine fresh produce dealers based at the Johannesburg Market and Tshwane Market after the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries reported cartel conduct, which could limit the development of black farmers and raise prices in the food sector – affecting vulnerable households the most.

According to the Competition Commission, the country’s largest fresh produce market agencies were suspected of slashing prices to undercut market entrants, before raising prices when smaller companies run out of stock – aiming to suppress competition – and using identity to discriminate on price. The case is the latest in a number of high-profile investigations by the Competition Commission, dedicated to probing anti-competitive behaviour.

Competition Commissioner Tembinkosi Bonakele said the food sector is a priority and cartels of any size will be hounded. “The Commission is concerned with the prevalence of collusion in the food sector, as higher prices of these commodities affect the most vulnerable households. The poor spend a disproportionally high percentage of their income on food. Also, cartel activities in this sector serve to keep out emerging black farmers and agents out of the market.”

The nine companies suspected of collusion are Botha Roodt Group, Subtropico, RSA Group, Dapper Market Agents, DW Fresh Produce, Farmers Trust CC, Noordvaal Market Agents, Marco Fresh Produce Market Agency, and Wenpro Market Agents CC. “Given the sheer size of the suspects, the suspected cartel conduct results in large proportions of freshly produced fruits and vegetables being sold at much higher prices than the average daily selling price,” said the commission.

It accused the companies of agreeing to charge “way below” market price in the mornings, forcing smaller competitors to match the low price, and then increasing prices later in the day when the smaller competitors have run out of stock. This would force new entrants to the market, as Bonakele noted, potentially emerging black farmers, to close as they would sell their stock below market value, without sufficient stock to continue trading when agents increase their prices.

“During the search the commission will seize information, documents, data and records that have a bearing on the investigation,” said the Competition Commission’s statement. It said there were sufficient grounds to act on a violation of the Competition Act.

Sipho Ngwema, spokesperson for the Competition Commission, said that while investigations continue it seems black-owned companies were affected “not exclusively, but largely”. Those who discriminated on identity could relate to race or whether the agents had a favourable relationship with you, “but the people who bear the brunt are largely black people”.

Thursday morning’s dawn raid, he said, was in search of evidence to corroborate claims that the alleged colluders lowered their prices in the morning to squeeze out smaller fresh produce agents before increasing prices later in the day to boost profit margins after smaller producers had run out of stock.

Daily Maverick on Thursday tried to reach a number of the implicated companies.

Anton Vos, managing director of Subtropico, said his company co-operated fully with the investigation. “There’s no such thing as price fixing; there’s no cartel,” he said. Issues of supply and demand determined prices. He claimed the investigation is “wrong”.

Jaco Oosthuizen, managing director of RSA Group, said: “We are giving our full co-operation in this information gathering exercise, and will continue to do so, and as far as trading and operations go, it is business as usual.”

As yet, the Competition Commission has not referred the suspected companies to the Competition Tribunal.

The commission has recently made news for investigating cases against banks accused of manipulating dealings in foreign currency, particularly the trading of the rand. Unilever has been targeted for dividing markets related to goods in the bakery and cooking sector. Recruitment advertising agencies have also faced the commission’s wrath for allegedly agreeing on listing prices.

The case against the banks has been the most publicised case, largely because the financial sector has been criticised as a leading symbol of “white minority capital”. On Wednesday at the Competition Tribunal, the Competition Commission’s Makgale Mohlala defended the decision to allow CitiBank, involved in the forex collusion, to settle for R69.5-million.

Colluding companies can be fined 10% of annual affected turnover (affected turnover relates to a company’s turnover in the period the infringement was committed, not the whole company turnover). Often they settle for much less when companies confess to their crimes and implicate others. Even those who don’t snitch on their fellow colluders are often allowed to settle for less than 10% due to a focus on expediency. Criminal charges for collusion were introduced last year, but no cases have as yet come before the courts, largely because infractions currently being exposed were committed before the law’s promulgation.

The allegations against the fresh produce agents, as Bonakele suggested, might affect poor South Africans the most. Given its pursuance of recent cases, the Competition Commission won’t rest until it finds out. DM

Photo by Pixel Kisses Photography via Flickr.

Competition Commission: Fresh produce dealers ‘collude’ to up food prices and muscle out emerging black farmers

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Subscribe to read

Google the headline if its paywalled. Says Katumbi is asking the EU/U.S. to fund elections so they can be held as planned. Also says he's coming back soon and that the opposition has agreed on rallying behind him as a candidate. @Frangala

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Subscribe to read

Google the headline if its paywalled. Says Katumbi is asking the EU/U.S. to fund elections so they can be held as planned. Also says he's coming back soon and that the opposition has agreed on rallying behind him as a candidate. @Frangala

He has been saying he was going to come back soon. We will see what he does but things on the ground are heating up. Kabila does not want to leave therefore he is trying to block any sort of elections because he is scared of life after the presidency. The agreement on the 31st in December has not been implemented and today Monday the 27th of March is the last day according the mediators (Catholic Priests/Bishops) for a signature and agreement on who to assign as Prime Minister, Minister of Interior, Finance for the transition govt. until December 2017 elections.

The Prime Minister, Minister of Finance and minister of Interior are probably the most important positions in the govt. The Prime Minister takes on the day-to-day political operations of the country and essentially the boss. The Minister of Finance is responsible for obviously management of funds/money including those allocated for the electoral process and Minister of the Interior controls the security, intelligence and armed forces inside the country. The agreement states that the Opposition names ONE candidate for the Prime Minister job and the President inaugurates him/her as a formality. Kabila and his cronies want THREE names and THEY choose (which means probably choose someone they can corrupt from the Opposition). So this is the contention, Presidential Majority (MP) wants three names while the agreement specifies only ONE. This is done as a strategy for the MP who doesn't want nor have the will to organize the elections to keep the clock running until infinity. If the agreement is respected, it's the end for Kabila/regime and the his friends in Rwanda/Uganda who have been mass killing, mass raping and plundering Eastern DRC since Clinton or Obama are no longer in the WHite House to permit that type of behavior with impunity.

The international community specifically the EU have coddled Kabila in terms of lack of sanctions if they really wanted change in Congo they have the Panama Papers as proof of this guy's economic crimes but haven't imposed sanctions in order for him to behave.

To be honest I don't know what the end game is for Katumbi. If he comes back he is probably going to be arrested and put in jail or maybe him being a political prisoner will mobilize the population to take power into their own hands. The solution to the Congolese problem lies in Congolese themselves and I know that's so cliche but they have no allies whether it's the international community, the AU has been screwing them for years, the larges UN peacekeeping force with all the latest military technology somehow mysteriously hasn't been able to end the militia-inflicted violence in the East and let's not even talk about the neighbors in the East. But once the Congolese themselves gain power and control of their own country. If that happens, then the country can start moving in the positive direction.

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
Lets see....

1. Newcomers to "history" like Slav people
  2. Like slavs they are looked down upon by MANY Africans. The word "Bantu" like Slav is usually threw around like a negative term. Forget Horners... I see many West Africans in a way look down on Bantu people and throw the term around negatively.
  3. Like Slavs they have a long and painful history, but also a HARDENED history that made them badasses. Battle of Stalingrad and many of the deadly wars in Eastern Europe and also the Congo Wars, Angolan War, Bush wars, etc.
  4. Both were largely enslaved.
  5. I notice this part A LOT. Both of their histories are largely ignored. Hell Bantu history is largely neglected/ignored by these so called "Africanist"
  6. Both are newcomers to their areas.

I can go on...

Anecdotally, I don't think many West Africans make distinctions between themselves and Bantus.

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
800x-1.png

Small Is Better in Africa’s Economies as Biggest Nations Stumble
East Africa Races Ahead as Big Nations Stumble

• Kenya, Rwanda benefit from cheap oil, economic diversity
  • Nigeria, South Africa drag down growth in sub-Saharan Africa

East African nations are playing an increasing role in driving growth in the world’s poorest continent as they ride a wave of cheap oil, slowing inflation and lower interest rates. Left behind: Former powerhouses Nigeria and South Africa.

The economies of Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda are all set to expand more than 5 percent this year, International Monetary Fund projections show. Nigeria, strugglingwith weak crude prices, power outages and mismanagement of the currency, faces a 1.8 percent contraction. South Africa is set to stagnate as it contends with political and labor turmoil and lackluster demand for its minerals.

A growth spurt is visible in Kenya, East Africa’s biggest economy. The government is spending $3.2 billion on a rail link between the two main cities and the same amount on paving 10,000 kilometers (6,213 miles) of roads by 2020. Nairobi, the traffic-choked capital, is a giant construction site, with the value of approved building plans surging 41 percent in the first five months of the year. Giant cranes tower over the city as they raise glass-clad skyscrapers.

Rwanda is positioning itself as a regional financial and conference center by cutting red tape, increasing high-speed Internet access and improving roads and electricity supply. Tanzania has begun tapping an estimated 58 trillion cubic feet of natural gas from offshore fields and intends using it to fire up new factories and commercial farms. Uganda is gearing up to become an oil producer by 2020 and expects to attract $8 billion in investment from three offshore companies that have been issued production licences.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Africa needs its own version of the vertical farm to feed growing cities

Author Esther Ndumi Ngumbi
March 22, 2017 10.54am EDT

image-20170322-31180-yu0ne0.jpg

Hydroponic vertical farming system. Shutterstock

The Netherlands is building its first large-scale commercial vertical indoor farm. It’s expected to serve Europe’s largest supermarket chains with high quality, pesticide-free fresh cut lettuce.

Vertical farms use high tech lighting and climate controlled buildings to grow crops like leafy greens or herbs indoors while using less water and soil. Because it’s a closed growing system, with controlled evaporation from plants, this farms use 95% less water than traditional farms. At the same time, most vertical farms don’t need soil because they use aeroponics or hydroponic systems – these dispense nutrients needed for plants to grow via mist or water. This technique is ideal for meeting the challenges of urbanisation and the rising demand by consumers for high-quality, pesticide-free food.

They’re not unusual. In recent years, there’s been a gradual increase in the number of vertical farming enterprises, especially in North America and Asia. In the US, Chicago is home to several vertical farms, while New Jersey is home to AeroFarms, the world’s largest vertical farm. Other countries such as Japan, Singapore, Italy and Brazil have also seen more vertical farms. As the trend continues, vertical farming is expected to be valued at US$5.80 billion by 2022.

Africa faces similar trends that demand it considers vertical farms. Firstly, it’s urbanising at a fast rate. By 2025 more than 70% of its population is expected to live in the cities. Secondly, many of these urban consumers are demanding and willing to spend much more to buy high quality, pesticide free food.

Yet, despite sharing trends that have fuelled the vertical farming movement, Africa is yet to see a boom in the industry.

A few unique versions are sprouting up on the continent. These show that the African versions of vertical farms may not necessarily follow the same model of other countries. It’s important to establish what the barriers to entry are, and what African entrepreneurs need to do to ensure more vertical farms emerge.

Barriers to vertical farming
Initial financial investments are huge. For example, a complete modern (6,410sqm) vertical farm capable of growing roughly 1 million kilos of produce a year can cost up to $80 to $100 million.

There also needs to be upfront investment in research. Many of the successful vertical farms in the developed world, including the one launching in the Netherlands, invest in research before they go live. This ranges from studying the most appropriate system that should be used to the best lighting system and seed varieties, as well investigating the many other ingredients that determine the success or failure of the farm.

Access to reliable and consistent energy is another barrier. Many African cities frequently experience power cuts and this could prove to be a big challenge for innovators wanting to venture in vertical farming business.

Faced with these challenges, entrepreneurs thinking of venturing into vertical farming in Africa need to put in more thought, creativity and innovation in their design and building methods.

They need to be less expensive to install and maintain. They also have to take into consideration the available local materials. For example, instead of depending on LED lighting system, African versions can utilise solar energy and use locally available materials such as wood. This means that entrepreneurs should begin small and use low-tech innovations to see what works.

As innovators locally figure out what works best for them, there will be further variations in the vertical farms between African countries.

African versions
In Uganda, for instance, faced with lack of financial resources to build a modern vertical farm and limited access to land and water, urban farmers are venturing into vertically stacked wooden crates units. These simple units consist of a central vermicomposting chamber. Water bottles are used to irrigate the crops continuously. These stacked simple vertical gardens consume less water and allow urban farmers to grow vegetables such as kale to supply urban markets. At the moment, 15 such farms have been installed in Kampala and they hope to grow the number in the coming years.

In Kenya, sack gardens represent a local and practical form of a vertical farm. Sack gardens, made from sisal fibres are cheap to design and build. One sack costs about US$0.12. Most importantly, they use local materials and fewer resources yet give yields that help farmers achieve the same outcomes as vertical farms in the developed world. As a result, many have turned into sack gardening. In Kibera, for example, over 22,000 households have farmed on sacks.
Also in Kenya, Ukulima Tech builds modern vertical farms for clients in Nairobi. At the moment it’s created four prototypes of vertical farms; tower garden, hanging gardens, A-Frame gardens and multifarious gardens. Each of these prototypes uses a variation of the vertical garden theme, keeping water use to a minimum while growing vegetables in a closed and insect free environment.

The continent has unique opportunities for vertical farms. Future innovators and entrepreneurs should be thinking of how to specialise growing vegetables to meet a rise in demand of Africa’s super vegetables by urban consumers. Because of their popularity, startups are assured of ready markets from the urban dwellers. In Nairobi, for example, these vegetables are already becoming popular.

Feeding Africa’s rapidly growing urban population will continue to be a daunting challenge, but vertical farming – and its variations – is one of the most innovative approaches that can be tapped into as part of an effort to grow fresh, healthy, nutritious and pesticide-free food for consumers.

Now is the time for African entrepreneurs and innovators to invest in designing and building them.

Africa needs its own version of the vertical farm to feed growing cities