Essential The Africa the Media Doesn't Tell You About

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
The security situation in Nigeria is at a serious tipping point. The regional governors if they band together can ensure that their states are making serious strides by promoting regional Economic development.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Pretoria out of control today. Anti-immigration march organized by local municipality had locals and African migrants (mainly Somalis, Nigerians, Zims) in heavy clashes.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Pretoria out of control today. Anti-immigration march organized by local municipality had locals and African migrants (mainly Somalis, Nigerians, Zims) in heavy clashes.

They're always wiling :gucci:

Are South Africans the most violent people towards other Africans :patrice:

Obviously there is xenophobia everywhere and some places do get violent but I have never seen it occur with such regularity and viciousness.

Nigeria, Somalia, Zimbabwe can be prosperous places in their own right but fukk shyt at home means they have to do what they have to do.

This mf Mugabe hanging on at 92 and Zimbabwe will probably be very unstable after his death. The death of long-term dictators never end well for nations.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Well I cant say too much because Nigeria had it's 'Ghana Must Go Moment' but man, SAcans stay with the complaining.

Let's keep it a buck, SA is only so prosperous because if a lot of the systems set up during arpatheid. Before Mandela SA was pretty much an Anglo-Dutch country that just so happened to be in Africa.

Let's keep it 100.

I still wanna visit there though. Just waiting on 2018 to get this US Passport and make my international travel easier. Heard them Xhosa women are something serious.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well I cant say too much because Nigeria had it's 'Ghana Must Go Moment' but man, SAcans stay with the complaining.

Let's keep it a buck, SA is only so prosperous because if a lot of the systems set up during arpatheid. Before Mandela SA was pretty much an Anglo-Dutch country that just so happened to be in Africa.

Let's keep it 100.

I still wanna visit there though. Just waiting on 2018 to get this US Passport and make my international travel easier. Heard them Xhosa women are something serious.
Well obviously who would debate that? The problem is that wealth coexisted with extreme apartheid which country hasn't nearly recovered from. Beyond the economics they also inherited the deep xenophobia from crazy border policies of that era too I suspect.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They're always wiling :gucci:

Are South Africans the most violent people towards other Africans :patrice:

Obviously there is xenophobia everywhere and some places do get violent but I have never seen it occur with such regularity and viciousness.

Nigeria, Somalia, Zimbabwe can be prosperous places in their own right but fukk shyt at home means they have to do what they have to do.

This mf Mugabe hanging on at 92 and Zimbabwe will probably be very unstable after his death. The death of long-term dictators never end well for nations.
What's lost in this often is that SA is one of the most violent country on the continent. Xenophobia is an extension of this and extreme inequality as well. Not to mention its apartheid legacy and current politicians helping stoke it to shift the resentment of SA'ns in townships to easier targets.

But yeah it's deep.Theres tons of SAns on twitter and you get sense the whole resentment to foreigners goes beyond poor in townships. Idea that most foreigners are criminals and unsavoury seems widespread. Crazy part that people who are very close to SAns in terms of culture/ethnicity also get it too like Mozambicans.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
What's lost in this often is that SA is one of the most violent country on the continent. Xenophobia is an extension of this and extreme inequality as well. Not to mention its apartheid legacy and current politicians helping stoke it to shift the resentment of SA'ns in townships to easier targets.

But yeah it's deep.Theres tons of SAns on twitter and you get sense the whole resentment to foreigners goes beyond poor in townships. Idea that most foreigners are criminals and unsavoury seems widespread. Crazy part that people who are very close to SAns in terms of culture/ethnicity also get it too like Mozambicans.

That's the thing, it extends to Southern Africans as well. I remember when the last pogrom happened and a lot of the people fleeing were Zimbabweans. As far as the violence, my cousin left the UK to work in SA and he told me hands down Zulus etc are the most violent people he has ever countered. They get it cracking at the drop of a hat. He works in a hospital and so he sees mad wounds daily..not even robberies...just like two cousins in a house will argue, one breaks a bottle and gives the other that work and he has to stitch them up. And that's normal. No hard feelings :russ:

Large sections of the highways you don't stop for no one. You see a traffic light? Better keep it moving

1306720430001.gif

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV

Bro, please expand on this

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's the thing, it extends to Southern Africans as well. I remember when the last pogrom happened and a lot of the people fleeing were Zimbabweans. As far as the violence, my cousin left the UK to work in SA and he told me hands down Zulus etc are the most violent people he has ever countered. They get it cracking at the drop of a hat. He works in a hospital and so he sees mad wounds daily..not even robberies...just like two cousins in a house will argue, one breaks a bottle and gives the other that work and he has to stitch them up. And that's normal. No hard feelings :russ:

Large sections of the highways you don't stop for no one. You see a traffic light? Better keep it moving

1306720430001.gif
Zulus are the most well known South African ethnic group, but its not just them its a nation-wide thing. For example today the march was in Pretoria and the majority of South Africans there are these people: Pedi people - Wikipedia

The thing about an ethnicity focused understanding of this, is that many have shared ties to Zim/Bostwana/Mozambique and you dont see violence at similar rates in those countries. Heck some of the exact same groups live in their neighbouring countries and they still are victims of xenophobia. Thats what makes it clear that its a product of South Africas history in particular.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Zulus are the most well known South African ethnic group, but its not just them its a nation-wide thing. For example today the march was in Pretoria and the majority of South Africans there are these people: Pedi people - Wikipedia

The thing about an ethnicity focused understanding of this, is that many have shared ties to Zim/Bostwana/Mozambique and you dont see violence at similar rates in those countries. Heck some of the exact same groups live in their neighbouring countries and they still are victims of xenophobia. Thats what makes it clear that its a product of South Africas history in particular.

Nah he said Zulu because he was working in Kwazulu Natal so that's pretty much all he saw in the hospital.