The 2017 HBCU FOOTBALL THREAD

gldnone913

Integrity and Consistency
Daps
Reppin
VA
Pretty stupid decision by Hampton honestly breh:yeshrug: but best of luck to yall

I'm only worried about football and men's basketball. We'll do ok in the others

You know they gonna secure the bag first :heh: ...

but I feel what you're sayin' believe me... From a competitive standpoint, I'd much rather see an HBCU in the playoffs than a pointless bowl (pointless aside from the money of course :heh: ) that's barely a blip on the radar from an overall CFB standpoint... a&t coulda been a fairly high seed this year, too. Ideally, HBCU's would get a bag for the playoff game, but it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

With a&t doin the Celebration Bowl, now there won't be any HBCUs in the FCS playoffs this year if I'm not mistaken.

A few threads back we were talking about that there should be an HBCU football playoff with money involved.

:ohhh:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat... Had no idea.

Pros and Cons on both ends... Losin Hampton in the MEAC is a HUGE blow tho. Don't get it twisted.

it's a two year transition process right?

That's real. Any payday is a good one. I wonder what it's done from a recruiting aspect though. Hampton will probably start playing Big South schools next year, but 2019 for sure.

Battle of the Bay better continue :ufdup:

Oh, no doubt! We'll still make time to beat that ass :smugfavre:

MEAC gave up the auto bid to the FCS playoffs for the money. Plain and simple. And it was the right move:

-The MEAC and SWAC get at least $1 million each for the Celebration Bowl, plus national TV exposure and a great spot in Atlanta every year.

-On the flip side, the even with a #9 national ranking, A&T would have probably got to host a 1st round game, but would have to PAY $30,000 to host that game and likely would not make that money back on ticket sales PLUS the game isnt on TV. If not, they would have had a road game that no one would watch/ see. You trying to see them play Grambling or Furman?

A&T had the option to go into the FCS playoffs, but they made the right call.

I'm trying to see an undefeated A&T team play Furman. I'd love to see NCCU or whoever got second place play Grambling or whoever got second place in the SWAC :manny:. Point taken regarding the money aspect. I've heard a lot of older HU alums talking about the travel costs being a driving factor in the move, but I'm not sold. I think this year we went to Bethune, Savannah State and South Carolina State. That's tough. Cutting that Florida trip might save some bread. Just my opinion, but opting out of the playoffs for that bowl seems like short term thinking. The administration at Hampton must have seen something to push forward with this. I know it's been in the works, but time will tell what really drove that decision at this time.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Alabama State wins fourth straight SWAC Commissioner’s Cup

Anything else, peasant?
tenor.gif

Every other school is our son in the SWAC

Peasant :mjlol:
I tried to be polite but Bama state is a none factor in the SWAC especially football.
Nobody even knows you're there :sas1:
don't y'all have like two football Championships total?

Alcorn runs the East and it ain't gonna stop no time soon :youngsabo:

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
I'm only worried about football and men's basketball. We'll do ok in the others...

So you think the moving to the Big South was damn near a lateral move? I know that's what some alums there were saying...

I saw you mentioned A10 and CAA for the move... assuming you think those conferences are a notch above Big South?

gldnone913

Daps
Reppin
VA
So you think the moving to the Big South was damn near a lateral move? I know that's what some alums there were saying...

I saw you mentioned A10 and CAA for the move... assuming you think those conferences are a notch above Big South?

....I dunno about lateral move. The Big South will def be more competitive in basketball and football - I can't speak w/ certainty for the other sports. A10 and CAA are more noteworthy in basketball and football than the Big South, especially considering the past success of James Madison in football and Davidson and VCU in basketball. But....the CAA said naw lol, so here we are.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
....I dunno about lateral move. The Big South will def be more competitive in basketball and football - I can't speak w/ certainty for the other sports. A10 and CAA are more noteworthy in basketball and football than the Big South, especially considering the past success of James Madison in football and Davidson and VCU in basketball. But....the CAA said naw lol, so here we are.

I honestly think the CAA and A10 would have been a struggle competitively in the money sports.

And I don't think it's a lateral move, .... it's gonna be competitive in the Big South, and I do think it's a clearly evident step up.

Some seem to think it's a "marginal" step up as the columnist wrote and die hard HBCU/MEAC supporters saying.

...but I think it's a little beyond marginal. I believe y'all will be more competitive in the Big South than the other options that were on the table.

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter

gldnone913

Daps
Reppin
VA
I honestly think the CAA and A10 would have been a struggle competitively in the money sports.

And I don't think it's a lateral move, .... it's gonna be competitive in the Big South, and I do think it's a clearly evident step up.

Some seem to think it's a "marginal" step up as the columnist wrote and die hard HBCU/MEAC supporters saying.

...but I think it's a little beyond marginal. I believe y'all will be more competitive in the Big South than the other options that were on the table.

lol yeah, having to play James Madison, Richmond and them routinely? school of hard knocks

Schmoove

All Star
Daps
Bloody Monday! :sas2:

Coaching positions open at
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Arkansas Pine Bluff
Mississippi Valley State
Florida A&M
Hampton
Delaware State