The 2017 HBCU FOOTBALL THREAD

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
Maaan, us leaving the MEAC hurt, breh. :to:

It hurts more that we're going to the fukking Big South instead of the CAA or A10. Still don't understand why the MEAC decided to give up that automatic playoff bid. So now you have a team like A&T that plays in that bullshyt bowl game instead of the playoffs. I bet HU won't be the last to bolt....I could see NCCU rolling out soon

Pretty stupid decision by Hampton honestly breh:yeshrug: but best of luck to yall

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
So now you have a team like A&T that plays in that bullshyt bowl game instead of the playoffs...

You know they gonna secure the bag first :heh: ...

but I feel what you're sayin' believe me... From a competitive standpoint, I'd much rather see an HBCU in the playoffs than a pointless bowl (pointless aside from the money of course :heh: ) that's barely a blip on the radar from an overall CFB standpoint... a&t coulda been a fairly high seed this year, too. Ideally, HBCU's would get a bag for the playoff game, but it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

With a&t doin the Celebration Bowl, now there won't be any HBCUs in the FCS playoffs this year if I'm not mistaken.

A few threads back we were talking about that there should be an HBCU football playoff with money involved.

man thats dope as fukk to see that crowd. never seen that at a HBCU before.
Too bad they wont be able to do that at the bowl against Gram tho

Aggie/Eagle has ALWAYS been big shyt in NC.

As well as Aggies v. Winston-Salem St. ... when they played yearly. :to:

Hampton leaving MEAC for the Big South Conference.

:ohhh:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat... Had no idea.

Pros and Cons on both ends... Losin Hampton in the MEAC is a HUGE blow tho. Don't get it twisted.

it's a two year transition process right?

Last edited:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Seriously :comeon:

Alabama State wins fourth straight SWAC Commissioner’s Cup

Anything else, peasant?
tenor.gif

Every other school is our son in the SWAC

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Battle of the Bay better continue :ufdup:

Good read here >>>> Norfolk State needs to think boldly about its future following Hampton's departure from MEAC

Check it out if you haven't already. Column advocates for NSU to leave the MEAC as well... but leave to drop back down to the CIAA.Said they'd continue the rivaly.

The announcement was bad news for Norfolk State, which followed Hampton into the MEAC two decades ago, and for the league, which plays its basketball tournament at Scope...
Clearly, losing Hampton is a big blow athletically. The Pirates have won five MEAC football titles, six men’s basketball tournaments and nine women’s basketball titles.

Although NSU will be the MEAC’s only school from Virginia , athletic director Marty Miller said the Spartans are happy where they are. They have been competitive in the MEAC, winning 10 of the past 13 Talmadge Layman Hill men’s all-sports trophies .

That’s a pretty good track record, even if a much of their success has come in sports other than football and basketball.

Nonetheless, I suggest NSU officials do some soul-searching. With Hampton gone, is the MEAC still the best place? I don’t know the answer , but I raise the question because I’ve heard from many NSU fans who long to rejoin the CIAA, the league the Spartans left in 1997.

That would mean moving back to Division II, a subject NSU officials didn’t want to broach on the heels of losing their archrival. Miller said he hasn’t given the option of dropping down “any thought.”

Yet, re-kindling rivalries with Virginia State, Virginia Union and Elizabeth City, plus nearby Chowan, is something they should consider, especially given the empty seats in recent seasons at dikk Price Stadium.

Moving down also would reduce costs for an athletic program that has dipped into reserves to make ends meet in recent years. It also would put the Spartans back into the nation’s most successful HBCU basketball tournament. The CIAA sells out the Charlotte Coliseum and has a fervent following, including many NSU alumni.

It would also mean a much-diminished athletic profile. And taking a step down, even if it makes financial sense, would be difficult , especially for a university trying to become more prominent.

Perhaps staying put is the right choice. I expect that’s the conclusion they’ll come to. If so, the Spartans will continue to win championships here and there, and eventually will get back to the NCAA basketball tournament.

Losing Hampton isn’t the end of the world for the MEAC or Norfolk State. The Pirates pledged to continue their rivalry with NSU, especially in football, and that’s good news.

But it’s a blow that Spartan officials need to take that into consideration as they ponder the future.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta

charknicks

All Star
Daps
Maaan, us leaving the MEAC hurt, breh. :to:

It hurts more that we're going to the fukking Big South instead of the CAA or A10. Still don't understand why the MEAC decided to give up that automatic playoff bid. So now you have a team like A&T that plays in that bullshyt bowl game instead of the playoffs. I bet HU won't be the last to bolt....I could see NCCU rolling out soon

MEAC gave up the auto bid to the FCS playoffs for the money. Plain and simple. And it was the right move:

-The MEAC and SWAC get at least $1 million each for the Celebration Bowl, plus national TV exposure and a great spot in Atlanta every year.

-On the flip side, the even with a #9 national ranking, A&T would have probably got to host a 1st round game, but would have to PAY $30,000 to host that game and likely would not make that money back on ticket sales PLUS the game isnt on TV. If not, they would have had a road game that no one would watch/ see. You trying to see them play Grambling or Furman?

A&T had the option to go into the FCS playoffs, but they made the right call.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
MEAC gave up the auto bid to the FCS playoffs for the money. Plain and simple. And it was the right move:

-The MEAC and SWAC get at least $1 million each for the Celebration Bowl, plus national TV exposure and a great spot in Atlanta every year.

-On the flip side, the even with a #9 national ranking, A&T would have probably got to host a 1st round game, but would have to PAY $30,000 to host that game and likely would not make that money back on ticket sales PLUS the game isnt on TV. If not, they would have had a road game that no one would watch/ see. You trying to see them play Grambling or Furman?

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
If that happened, then what teams would fill the void SWAC and MEAC void?

Tennessee State, Georgia State, maybe Tusgekee. Ideally the schools struggling would move to D2 and a HBCU super conference would form. But with the creation of the Celebration Bowl, thats not happening. Plus there arent too many HBCUs west of the Mississippi besides the Texas schools, Langston U in Oklahoma and UAPB. Plus Central State is located all the way in Ohio, so a we would have to form a conference where the schools would be somewhat close to each other to cut down on travel cost.

been trying to tell folks that. I was against the CB bowl in the beginning and I was all for sending the conference champ to the playoffs, but some old heads put me on game. The FCS dont respect us. A HBCU would damn near have to beat every team they play 77-0 to even sniff the playoffs, and they would probably be a low seed at that.

So the FCS made it hard and didnt really want to include us, so fukk em. We'll get that check from Disney/ABC/ESPN while they lose money to host and travel to playoff games with no fans in the stands and no tv coverage.

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee State, Georgia State, maybe Tusgekee. Ideally the schools struggling would move to D2 and a HBCU super conference would form. But with the creation of the Celebration Bowl, thats not happening. Plus there arent too many HBCUs west of the Mississippi besides the Texas schools, Langston U in Oklahoma and UAPB. Plus Central State is located all the way in Ohio, so a we would have to form a conference where the schools would be somewhat close to each other to cut down on travel cost.

I really like that idea... but the travel cost tho as you said... :to: