That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
I know this came out a couple of years later...but how the fukk did Chubb Rock go from making all them new jack swing raps in the 80s to making gangsta/street shyt in the 90s?

And no lie, I actually prefer Chubb's gangsta shyt over his stuff with Hitman Howie Tee and I love both of that stuff.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
jeezus christ...don’t forget LL...even named the album ‘14 shots to the dome’ (double entendre but still lol)...on everything this album almost ruined his career cuz this shyt was absolutely not his lane...he did bounce back after this album tho...here was a lead track...the song wasn’t bad but it just wasn’t his image

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it’s crazy cuz it wasn’t just the industry either...on the streets everybody was tryna look/act hardcore...nikkas went the rest of the decade w/o smiling lol...this is why '93 til infinity (album) was such a breath of fresh air for me

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Masta Ace INC. poked fun at the gangsta makeovers but at the same time overhauled their sound to fit the super grimy aesthetics of the day. Paula Perry & Lord Digga both gullied up Ace’s party.

Naughty By Nature & Onyx were leaders of the over the top grimy.

LONS got grimier sounding on TIME

Erick Sermon has Keith Murray with the razor blade in his mouth.

Black Moon & Wu happen.

Akinyele kicked some raps that would make Kool G Rap blush.

Rap was a lotta fun back then. Life was terrifying but the music was amazing.

Threnody

Superstar
Daps
93' was :francis:

Good music is good music so it def was some standouts/exceptions but

I wasn't feeling that shift at all

It reflected the streets tho....nikkas was dancers with flat tops in 92' wearing zoot suits

year later had baldies and was talking tough :russ:in army fatigues and timbs

hip-hop really lost something when it wasn't cool to dance no more

Bondye Vodou

Proud practitioner of the "High Science"
Daps
Even cube was guilty of this. He was never a soft rapper by any means, but he went from a political rapper to super gangster. I think 2pac and Monster kody called him out on it.

fukk u talkin bout?

How 2pac gon call cube out, 2pac is guilty of switching his style up from political/conscious rapper to fake super dupper thuggin. Y'all nikkas kill me

this is cube in 1988

:gucci: