That time in 1993 where artists had to switch up and go hardcore

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It seemed gradual to me throughout the 90s. There was always some breakthrough acts and hip-hop seemed to get more and more mainstream throughout.

There still seemed to be that element of hip hop as “outsiders”, which has long gone away.
To be honest for this debate you need to separate hip hop and rap.

Hip hop culture was arguably mainstream in 1996

Rap music didn’t become mainstream until much later, circa early 2000s. Mainly due to the rise of Eminem etc

@Playaz Eyez @Ethnic Vagina Finder @gluvnast

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
Hammer, Vanilla, Kid N Play...they were crossover acts at a time when "crossing over" "selling out" "going pop" was frowned upon
Myself and all the other Hip Hop heads at school were militant FOH with that wack ass pop shyt. Instead we bumped Ice Cube, Brand Nubian, Cypress, PE, EPMD, Geto Boys...so many classics that at the time was just the dope shyt.
We didn't acknowledge pop chart selling artists. They didn't exist to us...but by the end of the 90s that's all anyone talked about (the jiggy era).
Hip Hop was underground before the video shows. Yo! and Rap City brought it worldwide, cuz before you had to listen to late night radio for hip hop shows and mixes.
I remember Greg Mack's Rap Attack came on Friday nights, a syndicated show. I'd record and listen the whole week til the next show. That was it, because 99 Jamz was straight R&B and Power 96 was Freestyle and commercial Bass.
But then we got 2 legendary shows, Hip Hop Shop on UM's station and Saturday Night Funk Box on the public station.
And of course the New Yorkers at school that went up to visit and came back with mixtapes and radio shows. I'll trade you Tony Touch # 23 for a Ron G blend tape. Oh you got Red Alert's Kiss FM mixshow? let me hold that in exchange for the latest Source mag.
That's how we stayed on top of shyt, a month behind and shyt

Pazzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
R&B artists like Jodeci & R. Kelly went from New Jack Swing to a "gangsta" image with g-funk samples.

DRS came out in 1993 with "Gangsta Lean" and were the first to really cuss like gangsta rappers as an R&B group.

They even had a song about them straight up committing rape:merchant:

Wow. This shyt is a real bad parody. That gangster shyt come to think of it now was embarrassing as hell but damn that showed that the last generation dropped the ball hard back then around the 80s and 90s. Weird how all that gangster shyt in the music got heavier after 92 when before that pro black shyt was fashionable right before. Odd enough, when that pro black shyt was the thing in rap, the murder rate was at its peak in the late 80s, early 90s.

EDIT: All the members of that group are locked up. :snoop:

Last edited:

br82186

Superstar
Daps
There's a reason why natural R&B acts flourished and got praised the way they did that year, too many acts mostly in hip hop abandoned their actual styles in favor of trying to be artists from Death Row Records

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There's a reason why natural R&B acts flourished and got praised the way they did that year, too many acts mostly in hip hop abandoned their actual styles in favor of trying to be artists from Death Row Records

the funny thing in the case of both fresh prince ("i'm looking for the one") and LL ("pink cookies," "backseat of my jeep") is that the best moments on their hardcore albums came when they stuck to their usual styles.

although will smith still tried to pull off the treach flow on "i'm looking..." :russ:

SAJ!!

Straight Shooter
Supporter
Daps
A lot of misinformation here. Discredit this bit by bit. For hip hop NOT to be mainstream until 1993, that means MC Hammer wouldn't have gone DIAMOND in 1990 or Vanilla Ice going 9 times platinum that year. What you are confusing is hardcore rap didn't hit mainstream airwaves until The Chronic. But commercial rap was indeed mainstream. Kid & Play's House Party blew up and they had a cartoon. Fresh Prince of Bel Air was a major hit. And then there's of course MC Hammer who was literally competing against Michael Jackson who was still in his prime. MTV literally have a video battle debut between 2 Legit 2 Quit versus Black & White where people could call in to pick who had the better video. To say hip hop wasn't mainstream in '93 is absurd. I could give you countless examples of how that's incorrect.

Saying hip hop didn't have a Grammy category until 1996 is ever more wrong and shows your own ignorance into hip hop history. The FIRST HIP HOP GRAMMY CATEGORY EVER was presented in the year 1988! It was for BEST RAP ARTIST OR GROUP. DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince were the winners, but they BOYCOTTED along with all of the hip hop artists with the exception of JJ FAD because the category wasn't going to be televised. Yo! MTV Raps even had a boycott party episode special hosted by the aforementioned Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince.

The NWA part is partially true but also a bit inaccurate, Straight Outta Compton had a full RADIO EDIT album for the album specifically for radio play. It was played on radio, but during the time of 1988 when hip hop WAS not commercial, most rap songs were played very late at time no black radio stations, and most of those radio stations were still mom & pop. Radio wasn't like how it is today. The 1996 Telecommunications Act changed the game and consolidated all the small radio stations to large conglomerates such as Clear Channel. NWA went platinum because of the word of mouth and the cease & desist letter by the FBI. Once news hit that MAJOR MEDIA was giving that group free promotion trashing the group and the music which had a reverse effect because teenagers were intrigued about what's the hype about with the album. The FBI letter was the greatest thing to happen for NWA and for gangsta rap as a whole to flourish.

The Chronic album, granted, was one the 1st hardcore record played on MTV outside of Yo! MTV Raps (who incidentally banned NWA). But Yo! MTV Raps wasn't the only televised show. Rap City was around since 1989. Ralph McDaniel's' Video Music Box pioneered it and was still going on. Miami based THE BOX (formally known as the Video Jukebox Network was jumping and pumping out all the underground rap videos. Access to hip hop was bubbling which also help propel the popularity of the culture through many regions.

Lastly, you are out of touch to the HISTORY of hip hop. RUN-DMC & the Beastie Boys were the FIRST RAPPERS to go platinum. SALT & PEPA were the first female group to go platinum. And this was back in the 80's. Rappers long were able to go gold and platinum. The DIFFERENCE IS those records were POP RECORDS. WALK THIS WAY was a POP RECORD. PUSH IT was a POP RECORD. Even ME, MYSELF & I which push DE LA SOUL to go PLATINUM was a POP RECORD and that group used to hate that record because it was a pop record. The hip hop community back in those days DID NOT CARE TO GET PLAQUES, they did it for the love and the respect and their names out there as one of them ones. The record sales were an afterthought, and many got screwed over their deals because of it.

Once The Chronic dropped, it changed everything. Now when major labels were averse to hardcore records, they want their own Chronic album. Many labels sought after the hardcore acts. And it been that way ever since.
That was Kool Moe Dee that performed at the Grammys. JJ Fad was at the Grammy Boycott Party.

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Wow. This shyt is a real bad parody. That gangster shyt come to think of it now was embarrassing as hell but damn that showed that the last generation dropped the ball hard back then around the 80s and 90s. Weird how all that gangster shyt in the music got heavier after 92 when before that pro black shyt was fashionable right before. Odd enough, when that pro black shyt was the thing in rap, the murder rate was at its peak in the late 80s, early 90s.

EDIT: All the members of that group are locked up. :snoop:

Smh