SMU Mustangs
TCU Horned Frogs
Texas Longhorns
Texas A&M Aggies
Texas State Bobcats
Texas Tech Red Raiders
UTEP Miners
UTSA Roadrunners

i went to tx state and had the best 4 years of my life...working in the high tech industry right now

also , if you want a school with a large black population stray away from these schools :manny:

you are going to be the only breh in a lot of the classes and they make it a point to make you comfortable , just the facts breh

SouthernBelle

#Feyonce
Daps
tryna relocate to houston i need a good school... a school thats respected down there in terms of education, has a good amount of black people lol, near houston lol

been looking at ut austin

Personally, I would look into Rice.

Ranking wise, Rice is number 17 (just below Cornell), UT Austin is 46, and Baylor is 77.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Personally, I would look into Rice.

Ranking wise, Rice is number 17 (just below Cornell), UT Austin is 46, and Baylor is 77.

Rice is also very expensive and very exclusive. Lets not be delusional friends.

I went to Prairie View A&M and am doing very well for myself. Lets not get caught up in rankings and numbers friends.

Charlie Broadway

Greg Ward Jr. SZN
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The "best" school in the Houston area is Rice. It is expensive though as someone mentioned and the atmosphere is WACK af. It's small and 99% of the students are dungeons & dragons type of dudes if you get my drift. Unless you're a lame you will not enjoy Rice. A&M and Texas are great schools but you won't be living in Houston if you go there.

If you're trying to relocate to Houston to yourself a favor and pick UofH. Do a quick google search of Dr. Khator and see how much of a beast she is at what she does. She's only been at UofH for a handful of years or so but the strides the school has made in that time period are unbelievable. The experience that students are getting now is next level compared to my experience and I graduated less than 5 years ago. The growth on campus is nothing short of amazing to every alumnus I've talked to. When I went on campus not long ago it seemed like half of the buildings (academic buildings, dining halls, apartment style dorms, etc.) on campus have been built in the last 10 years and there is a ton of construction going on right now including the new football stadium (ready next year) and a metro light rail that will take from campus to downtown and other locations.

The school's academic rankings literally rise every year and under Dr. Khator UofH has been designated as a tier 1 research institution. This year I believe the school passed Texas Tech in terms of entrance requirements and is behind only UT and A&M in Texas public schools in that regard. 10 years from now it's possible that I wouldn't be able to get into the UofH out of high school.

Lastly you mentioned black people...when I was in school UofH was ranked as the 2nd most diverse student body in the country and I doubt that has changed too much. There are a lot of international students and people of every race you can think of including plenty of black people. If you like dating different races of women UofH is the place for you breh. Oh yeah, TSU is right around the corner if you want to get at even more black females.

SouthernBelle

#Feyonce
Daps
Rice is also very expensive and very exclusive. Lets not be delusional friends.

I went to Prairie View A&M and am doing very well for myself. Lets not get caught up in rankings and numbers friends.

We have NO idea what his grades are. Therefore, he may not be delusional (If I could go to university ranked with/above Rice, it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone else could too). Maybe it was out the realm of possibility for you though (however, he is not you).

Also, most universities in the Top 20 have adopted financial policies where students whose parents make less than a certain amount go virtually for free (they can do that because the endowments are through the roof unlike state schools).

Including housing and other fees, my undergrad cost more than $60,000 per year and the only reason I left with loans is because I decided to take summer classes that weren't covered. Everyone that I know who attended state schools have more debt than me.

Go for the best you can get/don't settle for less because someone else thinks it's impossible friends.

You don't know unless you try friends.

There's nothing wrong with rankings friends (esp when you are a minority)

Last edited:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
We have NO idea what his grades are. Therefore, he may not be delusional (If I could go to university ranked with/above Rice, it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone else could too). Maybe it was out the realm of possibility for you though (however, he is not you).

Also, most universities in the Top 20 have adopted financial policies where students whose parents make less than a certain amount go virtually for free (they can do that because the endowments are through the roof unlike state schools).

Including housing and other fees, my undergrad cost more than $60,000 per year and the only reason I left with loans is because I decided to take summer classes that weren't covered. Everyone that I know who attended state schools have more debt than me.

Go for the best you can get/don't settle for less because someone else thinks it's impossible friends.

You don't know unless you try friends.

There's nothing wrong with rankings friends (esp when you are a minority)

For the record, i scored a 1350 on my SAT and graduated top 5% of my high school class, so yeah i'm certain I could have got into whatever IV league you went to friend. But being that Prairie view offered me a full ride and a stipend, i couldn't pass that deal up. And looking back, i'm very happy i did.

Secondly, blacks in top 20 institutions are the exception, not the rule. So lets not act as if every black person that applies to IV league schools gets in. Thirdly, if you do get accepted into IV league, many people end up being saddled with crippling school debt. Nothing wrong with going to a community college early on to save money, then finishing up at a four year school to obtain your degree. Its cool that your one of the rare students that graduated from a top tier private school with no debt, but again remember you are the exception, not the rule.

And rankings are for dummies friends, as it causes otherwise intelligent people to disparage institutions that they are otherwise very ignorant of.

Again, lets not put to much weight in school rankings friends as they ultimately have very little influence on how successful graduates can be upon leaving their institutions.

SouthernBelle

#Feyonce
Daps
For the record, i scored a 1350 on my SAT and graduated top 5% of my high school class, so yeah i'm certain I could have got into whatever IV league you went to friend. But being that Prairie view offered me a full ride and a stipend, i couldn't pass that deal up. And looking back, i'm very happy i did.

Secondly, blacks in top 20 institutions are the exception, not the rule. So lets not act as if every black person that applies to IV league schools gets in. Thirdly, if you do get accepted into IV league, many people end up being saddled with crippling school debt. Nothing wrong with going to a community college early on to save money, then finishing up at a four year school to obtain your degree. Its cool that your one of the rare students that graduated from a top tier private school with no debt, but again remember you are the exception, not the rule.

And rankings are for dummies friends, as it causes otherwise intelligent people to disparage institutions that they are otherwise very ignorant of.

Again, lets not put to much weight in school rankings friends as they ultimately have very little influence on how successful graduates can be upon leaving their institutions.

Again...due to changes in most of the Top 20s financial aid policies, students like me who attend and graduate with minimum debt are the rule now. Students whose parent make less than $60,000 can attend most IVYs and top 20s for free now (http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/college-planning/low-income-ivy-league1.htm). You can even check the schools' websites.

Also, just because you pay attention to rankings and saying one school is better than another (for whatever reason) is not shytting on the other universities and saying they are bad (I know I never said that).

I personally think that depending on your field rankings can have great influence on how successful you are (not saying you can't make it, but I'm not going to pretend that every college provides people with the same opportunities for success). That goes for all types of schools including K12 schools.

Finally, I absolutely never said that everyone who applies gets in. However, you can't get in if you never apply (which was my message). He asked about the best schools in Houston...Rice is the best school in Houston. You called the op/me delusional for even considering it a possibility (without knowing a damn thing about him academically). If I listened to people who called me delusional because I dreamt bigger than them, I would probably be working in someone's call center trying to pay back my student loans from my hometown university.

Kings County

Law III | Law XXV | Law XV
Daps
Reppin
The Roman Empire
Again...due to changes in most of the Top 20s financial aid policies, students like me who attend and graduate with minimum debt are the rule now. Students whose parent make less than $60,000 can attend most IVYs and top 20s for free now (http://money.howstuffworks.com/personal-finance/college-planning/low-income-ivy-league1.htm). You can even check the schools' websites.

Also, just because you pay attention to rankings and saying one school is better than another (for whatever reason) is not shytting on the other universities and saying they are bad (I know I never said that).

I personally think that depending on your field rankings can have great influence on how successful you are (not saying you can't make it, but I'm not going to pretend that every college provides people with the same opportunities for success). That goes for all types of schools including K12 schools.

Finally, I absolutely never said that everyone who applies gets in. However, you can't get in if you never apply (which was my message). He asked about the best schools in Houston...Rice is the best school in Houston. You called the op/me delusional for even considering it a possibility (without knowing a damn thing about him academically). If I listened to people who called me delusional because I dreamt bigger than them, I would probably be working in someone's call center trying to pay back my student loans from my hometown university.

:whoa: stop fighting yall lets get back to the topic on hand

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rice is a good school but you need to have the grades to get in. Last I heard, they only have about 3-4k ungrad students. I hear the admission process if pretty brutal and you haven't said what your grades look like. Go to UH. It's a great school and is only getting better. They also have UH campuses in downtown and Clear Lake.