Tech Industry Lies: "tHeReS sO mUcH mONey iN tECh. TeCH bReHs eATin GooD"

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Full Page Reload

TechCrunch is now a part of Verizon Media

The gap between the average salary offered to black tech professionals and what’s offered to white tech professionals is closing at a snail’s pace. According to an analysis by the job search firm Hired, in 2019 black tech professionals were offered an average of US $10,000 a year less than white tech workers. That’s slightly better than the 2018 gap of $11,000, but not much better.

Meanwhile, Hispanic tech professionals lag $3,000 behind their white counterparts, down from $7,000 in 2019. Asian tech professionals, having pulled ahead in recent years, continue to command a slight edge in average salaries over their white colleagues.

Black tech workers are the lowest paid in the industry

Hired also revealed that salaries for tech workers who are over 45 start to decline until retirement. Millennial job candidates between 20 and 34 ask for significantly less money than what they’re offered, but those over 35 tend to ask for more and get less

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Black and Hispanic Job Seekers Still Face Wage Gap in Tech

It was the fourth year in a row the company’s reporting found such gaps, Hired Chief Executive Mehul Patel said in an email.

“Ultimately, it’s going to take an industrywide commitment from all companies to achieve truly equitable salaries for all,” Mr. Patel said.

The wage gaps are emblematic of broader power imbalances within corporate offices and U.S. culture that have come under closer scrutiny since the killing of George Floyd in police custody in Minneapolis last month, said Peter Beasley, executive director for Blacks in Technology, a professional organization.

“You know to ask for less, because that’s your only option,” Mr. Beasley said. “It’s learned. It’s been taught.”

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
High-tech pay gap: Minorities earn less in skilled jobs

SAN FRANCISCO — Hispanics, Asians and blacks are not getting equal pay for equal work in the high-tech industry.

That's the finding of new research that shows Hispanics earn $16,353 a year less on average than their colleagues who are not Hispanic.

In the same high-skilled positions such as computer programmers and software developers, Asians make $8,146 less than whites and blacks $3,656 less than whites, according to the report from the American Institute for Economic Research.

"What this tells us is that race and ethnicity matter, and they matter a lot," said Nicole Kreisberg, the senior research analyst who conducted the research. "Simply increasing diversity is not enough. We also have to talk about money."

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I am in the field, and the worst thing you can do for yourself is not negotiate your salary and take the first offer. I have worked with people making 10-30k less than me doing the same job, but did not take the risk of saying no.

Exactly. make 65k when Cac McCac making 100k doing the same job

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I am in the field, and the worst thing you can do for yourself is not negotiate your salary and take the first offer. I have worked with people making 10-30k less than me doing the same job, but did not take the risk of saying no.

The issue is , black people most likely won't negotiate cuz they'd be lucky to even get a job interview, let alone get the actual job. We're in no position to negotiate shyt.

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Exactly. make 65k when Cac McCac making 100k doing the same job
I remember going to a bar with some people from my department and one of the guys (a white guy) got drunk and bragged that he told the hiring manager he would not take less than 80k. Everyone at the table got quiet because the lowest paid person besides him was getting 100k. After that he left soon after.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The issue is , black people most likely won't negotiate cuz they'd be lucky to even get a job interview, let alone get the actual job. We're in no position to negotiate shyt.

I understand where you coming from breh, but that's a mentality that will basically guarantee you will be underpaid for the rest of professional career. :francis:

Companies invest time in hiring people because they need a headcount. And when a manager finds a prospect that he really wants, he will push HR/Skip Levels to get you on board. Your manager usually doesn't decide the salary for the req.

The worst that can happen is that they say no.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Black and Hispanic computer scientists have degrees from top universities, but don't get hired in tech

Black and Hispanic computer scientists have degrees from top universities, but don't get hired in tech

One of the key problems: There are elite computer science departments that graduate larger numbers of African-American and Hispanic students, but they are not the ones where leading companies recruit employees. Stanford, UC-Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA and MIT are among the most popular for recruiting by tech companies, according to research by Wired magazine.

"That is the major disconnect," said Juan Gilbert, a professor of computer and information science at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

"The premise that if you want diversity, you have to sacrifice quality, is false," he said. His department currently has 25 African-American Ph.D. candidates. Rice University in Houston has a large number of Hispanic students.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Negotiation has never worked for me because it's still not normally enough to close the gap between white co-workers. They give you a raise and then turn around and give them an even bigger raise than what you got.

Job hopping is the only thing I've found that really narrows the wage gap.

Brehcepticon

Adeptus Brehstartes
Supporter
Daps
I remember going to a bar with some people from my department and one of the guys (a white guy) got drunk and bragged that he told the hiring manager he would not take less than 80k. Everyone at the table got quiet because the lowest paid person besides him was getting 100k. After that he left soon after.

jRyoQic.jpg

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
You can not go into a job interview from a position of fear. Know your skills, experience and what it commands in the market you are in, including where the job is. I had to school a woman who was in a similar position when it came to a promotion/department move, then once she got through the negotiations she got 10k more than what they offered.