Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, companies just refuse to take cybersecurity seriously until it's too late. It's a combination of ignorance, laziness and stupidity all wrapped into one.

It's like Boeing management thinking they could cut corners and not have planes fall out of the sky. That's what's happening in every company when it comes to cybersecurity.
Nah. That’s a very careless presumption though. It’s always good to be able to say “…only if we had this tool we would have prevented so and so breach…”. Always pointing to a distant “only if”. But these hacks have been happening too frequently to not be tied to open source liability.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
That is a big part of it.

It's one reason why Linus Torvalds was so much of an a$$hole when it came to building Linux. Dude didn't want people to screw it up with weaknesses because they didn't know what they were doing. It's not completely safe, but has a lot fewer vulnerabilities to exploit.

There are countermeasures to this stuff (open source does additionally mean more people can take a look at the issues), but the attacker always has the advantage.

Yeah and imo the Cybersecurity industry will probably see a Golden Age because of it.

If I were in that field and all these attacks start ringing off, I'd start testing the market.

If there's a tangible thing in most of software, a solid consistent, it's security. It doesn't have a shiny ceiling, but it's the main true floor raiser.

You can have the coolest app and tech in the world, but if your security is shyt, then it won't matter.

Dave's banking with this breach has basically given up their biggest asset - their trust. Now their stock is nosediving because of it.
Like @JT-Money said, it's the people at top making terrible decisions. A lot of decisions are made without truly understanding the impact. Someone will see an analyst/tech/engineer making 200k+ and think "Why are we paying them so much. Everything is working fine, we can replace them with someone cheaper." Then months later, they end up on the news and understand why they were paying that person so much. This isn't something that only happens in IT/Cybersecurity, but the impact is much more significant. Hell, we recently lost the manager of our incident response team almost a month ago and they are still looking to replace him. I've hit my network to see what opportunities are out there so that I can try to get out before the company get hits with something nasty. We don't even have a DR plan in place if something like that were to occur. I swear if I wasn't so passionate about this field/industry I would have jumped ship a long time ago.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Nah. That’s a very careless presumption though. It’s always good to be able to say “…only if we had this tool we would have prevented so and so breach…”. Always pointing to a distant “only if”. But these hacks have been happening too frequently to not be tied to open source liability.
Solarwinds isn't open source and it was one of the most devastating hacks we've seen recently. It has nothing to do with if the software is open source or not. If you have a proper cybersecurity program in your environment, you should have multiple layers in place that would prevent the impact these attacks have on your environment. Most companies do not have a proper patch management cycle, active monitoring, or even a DR plan in place. Open source software would be one of the last items on a list of reasons why these companies are being breached/hacked in my experience/opinion.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You really think Microsoft products are that much more secure?
:mjlol:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

As time passes "AI" is being exposed for the finesse it is

AI is just digital Indians. What do I mean?

Why are all these programs and apps dogshyt now? Because they've all been outsourced to Indians that make garbage really fast and cheaply. The fast cheap garbage is then constantly tweaked and repaired by Americans. This fixing may take 4 months or 4 years. That's the finesse. It's busy work, like most American jobs

AI is the same way. These AIs create this jumbled garbage that is then given to a team of people to fix. Digital Indians

It's all a finesse

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Big mistake I told my team was that I was going overseas two weeks for a vacation because they’ve been low key salty. Even though they have mad pto and make as much as me, if not more.
I noticed this my last vacation when my trip became the topic of a stand up meeting. I only told my boss but he told everyone :snoop:
I seem to take WAY better vacations then any of my coworkers and I'm not sure why. We are remote so everyone lives in different COL areas and people may have more responsibilities than me but it still feels weird. I'm just going fall back on sharing details

All these Tech YouTubers who quit their jobs a few years ago. But are now trying to get back into the job market at the worse possible time.
:francis:
yea this dude Press Kit - Anthony D. Mays was an engineer at google and he quit his job to do job prep consulting/YT vids pretty much right before the economy changed. Wonder if he regrets that move

I got into a debate with another black guy who basically was selling shovels during the gold rush and I told him once the job market changed it would be less value in selling that kind of content because so many consumers of that type of content were entry level people trying to get into tech. Once that got hard the majority of those people would just pivot to something else. He said I was wrong and that the job market getting tougher would mean more people consuming that content than ever. So far I think I have been more right, not only are boot camp type applicants falling back but some experienced people are looking to pivot OUT of tech. All those leetcode YTs that used to be in my algorithm have been ghost and many of them have had to get back to work like you said

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I noticed this my last vacation when my trip became the topic of a stand up meeting. I only told my boss but he told everyone :snoop:
I seem to take WAY better vacations then any of my coworkers and I'm not sure why. We are remote so everyone lives in different COL areas and people may have more responsibilities than me but it still feels weird. I'm just going fall back on sharing details
This happens to me all the time. It's like comments that are just dripping in sarcasm "were you over in Europe again" or "were you on another cruise" if I miss any meetings or have to take off for any reason.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

'Super desperate': Things are very, very bleak for jobless Bay Area tech workers​

Nina McCollum has been laid off so many times that the 55-year-old is basically an unofficial expert. That’s how she describes herself, at least.

The marketing writer, who went viral in 2019 for documenting how she submitted over 200 applications during her two-year unemployment period, eventually landed her dream job at a major human resources tech company in the Bay Area. But then, in March 2023, she was let go — and suddenly back at square one.