Tales Of Berseria. January 24th

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
There hasn't been a 'bad' tales game in almost a decade.

Mediocre? Sure. But it shares the JRPG crown with Persona right now.

Not really. There are abundance of Tales games but they didn't exactly dominate the scene. Zestiria is a prime example.

They just happened to be benefactors because the competitions that used to kick their ass (Suikoden, Breath Of Fire, Wild Arms, etc.) have disappeared into oblivion. They are like the Klitchskos of JRPGs.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
They just happened to be benefactors because the competitions that used to kick their ass (Suikoden, Breath Of Fire, Wild Arms, etc.) have disappeared into oblivion. They are like the Klitchskos of JRPGs.
Tales managing to stay around while those other series died off says something.

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
Tales managing to stay around while those other series died off says something.

Not really. I'd rather have 3 or more masterpieces than 10 decent-mediocre sequels. Tales series couldn't even come close to the legacy of Suikoden II, even if they tried. And Sony for unknown reason dropped their support for JRPG devs.

Managing to stay around isn't really that hard if you have to resources to capitalize. Capcom and Konami were just being an ass with their IPs. Namco manage to hit a lucky shot with Vesperia and they rarely compromise their IPs outside Klonoa & Ridge Racer. Tekken and Soul Calibur still continues to have a sequel even if they were :trash: as long as it earns them money.

Last edited:

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
when did suidoken 2 come out

and resources? hmm - how else do you get those other than doing numbers?

people keep talking about masterpieces and shyt.... there's no such thing. nothing is a masterpiece. just make good games and sell them. its so easy? ask the wild arms crew

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
when did suidoken 2 come out

and resources? hmm - how else do you get those other than doing numbers?

people keep talking about masterpieces and shyt.... there's no such thing. nothing is a masterpiece. just make good games and sell them. its so easy? ask the wild arms crew

Look up majority of top 10 JRPG GOATs and you will see Suikoden II on the list frequently. It may not be as popular as Tales, but it is highly regarded by both critics and fans alike.

Tales is actually the epitome of JRPG cliches and anime tropes. While Suikoden is being compared to Game of Thrones and shyts due to its deep lore and very engaging emotional storyline.

It's easy to tell "sell them" when executives are being impossible with their demands, expecting sales bigger than the fanbase when they completely compromised its marketing and promotions.

Tales never had that problem since almost all of the titles had anime adaptions and heavy advertising.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
And Sony for unknown reason dropped their support for JRPG devs.

Managing to stay around isn't really that hard if you have to resources to capitalize. Capcom and Konami were just being an ass with their IPs. Namco manage to hit a lucky shot with Vesperia and they rarely compromise their IPs outside Klonoa & Ridge Racer. Tekken and Soul Calibur still continues to have a sequel even if they were :trash: as long as it earns them money.
The reasons aren't unknown. Jrpgs are a niche genre. They always were outside Japan. Don't let Final Fantasy VII fool you. The Tales games still exist because they make money. The other series are dead because they couldn't make profits.

Console gaming is an afterthought in Japan. Those other series you listed are pretty much dead and gone. Tales still manages to stay around and most of the games are decent.

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
The reasons aren't unknown. Jrpgs are a niche genre. They always were outside Japan. Don't let Final Fantasy VII fool you. The Tales games still exist because they make money. The other series are dead because they couldn't make profits.

Console gaming is an afterthought in Japan. Those other series you listed are pretty much dead and gone. Tales still manages to stay around and most of the games are decent.

Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga managed to sold over 10 Million copies of their records.

Sales record =/= quality

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga managed to sold over 10 Million copies of their records.

Sales record =/= quality
So you're pretending like they weren't making games in all those series on the PS2? The PS3 was the death of a lot of Jrpg series. Tales managed to flourish on it as a series that's been around since the Playstation days.

Suiken

What time it is?
Daps
Reppin
PH
So you're pretending like they weren't making games in all those series on the PS2? The PS3 was the death of a lot of Jrpg series. Tales managed to flourish on it as a series that's been around since the Playstation days.

Quality have nothing to do with it. Most japanese devs have hard time programming on the PS3 hardware. And cost for development were pretty expensive, it's the reason why most JRPG devs have became indies or turned to mobile and handhelds.

I'll repeat, Tales have enough resource to capitalize and they used to have an MMO in Japan which was probably the source for their budget.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think the Tales series are decent but they've always felt like B grade JRPGS to me. I played Tales of Destiny 1 and 2, Symphonia, Vesperia and then skipped them entirely after that.I might check this one out.

Honestly Tales games nowadays look like "check it out if you have time" whereas other JRPGS like Trails of Cold Steel, Persona 5, FFXV are must plays.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Q1 2017 is shytting on Q3/4 of this year.:damn:

I think the Tales series are decent but they've always felt like B grade JRPGS to me. I played Tales of Destiny 1 and 2, Symphonia, Vesperia and then skipped them entirely after that.I might check this one out.

Honestly Tales games nowadays look like "check it out if you have time" whereas other JRPGS like Trails of Cold Steel, Persona 5, FFXV are must plays.

That's true but B tier JRPG's aren't so bad themselves.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

The Tales series is the McDonald's of JRPGs. It exist because it has a place and it works. It serves it's function fine.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Q1 2017 is shytting on Q3/4 of this year.:damn:

That's true but B tier JRPG's aren't so bad themselves.
they're not bad but when there's so many other games out, I'd rather pour 50 hours into a bigger game.

The Tales series is the McDonald's of JRPGs. It exist because it has a place and it works. It serves it's function fine.
There's like 20 tales of games right? Are they even that much different each iteration? I'd feel like there'd be massive burnout playing games that look the same each iteration.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
they're not bad but when there's so many other games out, I'd rather pour 50 hours into a bigger game.

There's like 20 tales of games right? Are they even that much different each iteration? I'd feel like there'd be massive burnout playing games that look the same each iteration.
Lately they've been recycling everything they can. the dungeons are just mostly wide open spaces with several rooms. Tales is the kind of game people play for the battle systems and the character interactions and not for the story. It's like Final Fantasy in that there are a ton of games but the battle systems have variations between them.