Taboo - Tom Hardy/FX Series (Official Thread)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
@TheGodling

Explain this 1st episode to me plz

What do you need explained?

Delaney (Hardy) returns from Africa where he was believed dead after shipwreck to attend his father's funeral. He finds out the East Indian Company has been aggressively pursuing his sister to buy a piece of land (Nootka Sound) his father possessed in America, but in the will it is stated that all his possessions go to Delaney. Delaney's father bought Nootka Sound of the native Americans for ten dollars, presumably because he also wedded one of their tribe (Delaney's mother was a Native American, but they hid this fact because it would be seen as a scandal to marry an Indian "savage"). Delaney has his father's corpse investigated and it is revealed that he was poisoned, by who is of course still a mystery. Delaney meanwhile takes charge of his father's abandoned shipping company, now housing a brothel, and pays his dues to the man he left in charge with raising his b*stard son, who he has no intention on having contact with.

In the meeting with the East Indian Company, they make their deal that the land is valuable to the East Indian Company because of the war between America and Britain and Nootka Sound is a vital landing spot on the West Coast. Delaney however has somehow possession of a knowledge that no one but the East Indian Company has. There are secret peace talks going on, and if peace were to be made, each piece of land would go to the person most entitled to it. Nootka Sound is only a small piece of Vancouver Island, but as the rest of Vancouver Island is unclaimed, the person who has rightful possession over Nootka Sound would gain full possession of the entirety of Vancouver Island.

More importantly, Nootka Sound already has immense value as its position on the west coast makes it the gateway to China, and is thus a vital position for the trade market between America and China, which is the reason the East Indian Company wants to have it.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Bad pilot....I'll check one or two more episodes, this was near unwatchable. Great production value, costumes, setting, but just a lifeless, dull, cliched, tired, ugly show.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I loved the pilot. This show is gonna be a hit. And Tom hardy and Steven Knight are planning for more seasons, just like I said :blessed::ohlawd:

‘Taboo’ EP Steven Knight On Working With Tom Hardy & Future Of ‘Peaky Blinders’

KNIGHT: Not certainly in this first eight hours, but we have plans — well, certainly I have plans — if we get given the green light for more. The plan is that there would be three seasons, and, as with Peaky Blinders, I have had a destination in mind from the beginning, because I think it helps as a writer. The destination in mind is that James Keziah Delaney sets foot on Nootka Sound. But that’s a long way off.