Albums SZA - SOS (Discussion Thread)

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
i think a lot of people are just used to speaking the same old vapid talking points. sza will put out deep ass conversations about herself and her industry and it goes over heads.

her: i dont like it here and i don't like my music, i see three mental health professionals :ehh:
so called fans: hurry up and mush bytch.... get these sales :damn:... something something summer walker...

:dead:
She also blamed Punch and the staff at TDE for delaying her projects and not allowing her to put out work, let's not forget that lol.

I think that's a gimmick for them at this point.

Daps
She also blamed Punch and the staff at TDE for delaying her projects and not allowing her to put out work, let's not forget that lol.

I think that's a gimmick for them at this point.

when someone admits they are insecure above anything else, you think you would take that comment with a grain of salt but like i said..... over people's heads :hubie:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
All great points, I've always said SZA is a dope artist, sexy and her and her camp writes great songs. In fact many of these female rnb singers bite from her imo. Still feel it is a risky strategy imo though because while it worked for Sza that was the exception and not the rule.

Look at Jay Rock again, he lost momentum doing that waiting a long time shyt that tde likes to do. For Sza it worked, however there is a chance she could have dropped an album that sounded dated if she didn't continue to work and make new tracks. All that waiting and sitting on music kills an artists creativity and it doesn't work for every artist. You don't want to over saturate and a year or two wait is cool but to take too much longer than that for most artist and it could hurt your career.

True but I think certain artists have won over fans (hardcore and casual fans) to such a degree that the wait doesn't matter. You've got to be a superstar or on the cusp of it to pull that off though, so we're talking...Rihanna for instance. Or say if Drake didn't release an album for a long period of time, he'd still dominate. Kendrick waited 5 years and still went plat and had a 110mil grossing tour without a hit song. CTRL was such a smash hit, and SZA resonates with so many chicks that I def felt like she'd be fine. She can effortlessly write hit records and her production is always good.

For regular artists I agree, 2-3 is the max you can disappear. Jay Rock is about to bomb due to this, as is Q. We've gotten what, 4 singles for Jay Rock since the summer and now it looks like his album won't even drop until 2024. And given how labels work that may mean spring 2024, since those early months are typically dead for releases. They completely fukked up his rollout for no logical reason. They'll do the same to Q next year, I bet. Q will always be able to tour and do festivals so he'll be straight.