Albums SZA - SOS (Discussion Thread)

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

She's really gonna run much of next year too. Grammys, deluxe increasing sales, videos, features...it's gonna be wild. Probably gonna be the a superstar run we haven't seen in awhile from a black female artist not named Beyonce/Rihanna.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
She's really gonna run much of next year too. Grammys, deluxe increasing sales, videos, features...it's gonna be wild. Probably gonna be the a superstar run we haven't seen in awhile from a black female artist not named Beyonce/Rihanna.
She’s too good. I love how personal and introspective her music is.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
She’s too good. I love how personal and introspective her music is.

I was mixed on the album and still am. The good tracks are really good though. And I'll admit they (TDE) played this perfect. I figured she'd have a successful album despite the delays since she has such a knack for writing hits but I couldn't have imagined it would be THIS successful. Like, this album is on some classic, transformative level shyt in terms of the success. And she's doing all the other stuff that makes you a superstar. She got through the tour, she went overseas, came back and did some intimate shows, is doing all the behind the scenes shyt that you need to do for award nominations, and she might win a loooot of Grammys soon.

I also like that she's doing things you don't see most young-ish artists do anymore. Babyface and a host of other great writers helped her with the album. This is the type of shyt I've always been blown away that Drake doesn't do. He sticks in his lane with his producers, and only branches out to pick up whoever the hot producer of the moment is. And I think it's a major reason why he's been at such a stagnant level, growth wise. What does Drake sound like with Babyface in the studio to vibe and trade melodies with. Or James Fauntleroy. SZA has worked with both.

I'd imagine the next step of this process is gonna be more concentrated album crafting. SOS is pretty bloated and aimless IMO. I'd be curious how she'd work in a process where the goal is to make 12 tracks, all of which serve a purpose, create a mood/vibe, and are undeniable (hits or otherwise).

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I was mixed on the album and still am. The good tracks are really good though. And I'll admit they (TDE) played this perfect. I figured she'd have a successful album despite the delays since she has such a knack for writing hits but I couldn't have imagined it would be THIS successful. Like, this album is on some classic, transformative level shyt in terms of the success. And she's doing all the other stuff that makes you a superstar. She got through the tour, she went overseas, came back and did some intimate shows, is doing all the behind the scenes shyt that you need to do for award nominations, and she might win a loooot of Grammys soon.

I also like that she's doing things you don't see most young-ish artists do anymore. Babyface and a host of other great writers helped her with the album. This is the type of shyt I've always been blown away that Drake doesn't do. He sticks in his lane with his producers, and only branches out to pick up whoever the hot producer of the moment is. And I think it's a major reason why he's been at such a stagnant level, growth wise. What does Drake sound like with Babyface in the studio to vibe and trade melodies with. Or James Fauntleroy. SZA has worked with both.

I'd imagine the next step of this process is gonna be more concentrated album crafting. SOS is pretty bloated and aimless IMO. I'd be curious how she'd work in a process where the goal is to make 12 tracks, all of which serve a purpose, create a mood/vibe, and are undeniable (hits or otherwise).
I agree.
I always say the same thing about lil Wayne.
A lot of artists could benefit from that actually.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And just to put this into perspective, The Booth was talking about how crazy Taylor Swift's numbers were and wrote SZA off as finished. Well, Taylor dropped Modnights in October 2022 and has since gone 2X platinum. SZA dropped SOS in December 2022 and has sknce gone 3X platinum.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
And just to put this into perspective, The Booth was talking about how crazy Taylor Swift's numbers were and wrote SZA off as finished. Well, Taylor dropped Modnights in October 2022 and has since gone 2X platinum. SZA dropped SOS in December 2022 and has sknce gone 3X platinum.
You got a point, it worked out but doesn't mean she should have took that long to drop.

I mean look at it this way, she could have dropped 2 or 3 albums by now and had even more success if she dropped sooner. She is over 30 rn, 34 to be exact and was 28 when she dropped her debut and came into the game at 23 if her age on wiki is correct. Her prime years are going to pass her by if she doesn't get more consistent but it is what it is. Some artist rarley put out work like D'angelo but if it was TDE holding he back that sucks cause fans could have got more work from her and the label could have made more money.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
You got a point, it worked out but doesn't mean she should have took that long to drop.

I mean look at it this way, she could have dropped 2 or 3 albums by now and had even more success if she dropped sooner. She is over 30 rn, 34 to be exact and was 28 when she dropped her debut. Her prime years are going to pass her by if she doesn't get more consistent but it is what it is. Some artist rarley put out work like D'angelo but if it was TDE holding he back that sucks.

Dunno about that. I feel like some artists get to a point where their age doesn't really matter until they actually look or sound old. Nobody knows or cares that Beyonce is 42. She's Beyonce. Nobody cares about Rihanna's age. And I think SZA is clearly in that ballpark when it comes to superstars. On the rap end does anyone really care about Drake, Cole, or Kendrick's age in the grand scheme of things? Each one continues to be current or "cool" in a way that say...50 Cent isn't, in 2023. Drake/Cole/Kendrick can still exist within this era, they don't sound "old" and they aren't out here stumbling around on some "hello fellow kids" vibes. Same with Future. Does anyone ever think about his age?

So I don't think there was any need for an album between CTRL (2017) and SOS (2022). If anything, the anticipation for a follow up is partially why this album was so successful. And she delivered after a long hiatus, which is rare. Remember when Solange's album came out and the hoes were mad that she didn't give them the hoe anthems they expected/wanted?

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Dunno about that. I feel like some artists get to a point where their age doesn't really matter until they actually look or sound old. Nobody knows or cares that Beyonce is 42. She's Beyonce. Nobody cares about Rihanna's age. And I think SZA is clearly in that ballpark when it comes to superstars. On the rap end does anyone really care about Drake, Cole, or Kendrick's age in the grand scheme of things? Each one continues to be current or "cool" in a way that say...50 Cent isn't, in 2023. Drake/Cole/Kendrick can still exist within this era, they don't sound "old" and they aren't out here stumbling around on some "hello fellow kids" vibes. Same with Future. Does anyone ever think about his age?

So I don't think there was any need for an album between CTRL (2017) and SOS (2022). If anything, the anticipation for a follow up is partially why this album was so successful. And she delivered after a long hiatus, which is rare. Remember when Solange's album came out and the hoes were mad that she didn't give them the hoe anthems they expected/wanted?
I hear you but even you have to admit, it was risky to wait that long and most people don't deliver after a hiatus like that. I say why take all that risk and leave extra money on the table and as far as her aging it may or may not affect her, time will tell. Though I don't think it's wise as a label to stall during your artists prime creative years.

It would be one thing if SZA was the only artist on TDE waiting years between albums but they do that with every act except Reason. It worked for SZA but look at Ab-Soul's career by comparison as well as Jay Rock.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I hear you but even you have to admit, it was risky to wait that long and most people don't deliver after a hiatus like that. I say why take all that risk and leave extra money on the table and as far as her aging it may or may not affect her, time will tell. Though I don't think it's wise as a label to stall during your artists prime creative years.

It would be one thing if SZA was the only artist on TDE waiting years between albums but they do that with every act except Reason. It worked for SZA but look at Ab-Soul's career by comparison as well as Jay Rock.

If I was the label and sitting on these tracks, many of which were obviously gonna be hits? I would have been fine with waiting lol. Like I said I'm not big on the album but it was immediately obvious this would be a massive album based off one listen. Multiple undeniable hit records. And I'd imagine they were even more confident having listened to the albums her contemporaries released beforehand. Summer Walker's album was successful, it sounded ok from what my girl played but...it ain't this. On any level. So not only did they know they had a hit in the chamber, they knew it couldn't possibly be rendered old or outdated. Summer Walker and everyone else basically stuck to the same downtempo trends. Meanwhile SZA had straight up pop jams on her album alongside some rapping and acoustic guitars.

Guvnor

Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
If I was the label and sitting on these tracks, many of which were obviously gonna be hits? I would have been fine with waiting lol. Like I said I'm not big on the album but it was immediately obvious this would be a massive album based off one listen. Multiple undeniable hit records. And I'd imagine they were even more confident having listened to the albums her contemporaries released beforehand. Summer Walker's album was successful, it sounded ok from what my girl played but...it ain't this. On any level. So not only did they know they had a hit in the chamber, they knew it couldn't possibly be rendered old or outdated. Summer Walker and everyone else basically stuck to the same downtempo trends. Meanwhile SZA had straight up pop jams on her album alongside some rapping and acoustic guitars.
All great points, I've always said SZA is a dope artist, sexy and her and her camp writes great songs. In fact many of these female rnb singers bite from her imo. Still feel it is a risky strategy imo though because while it worked for Sza that was the exception and not the rule.

Look at Jay Rock again, he lost momentum doing that waiting a long time shyt that tde likes to do. For Sza it worked, however there is a chance she could have dropped an album that sounded dated if she didn't continue to work and make new tracks. All that waiting and sitting on music kills an artists creativity and it doesn't work for every artist. You don't want to over saturate and a year or two wait is cool but to take too much longer than that for most artist and it could hurt your career.

Last edited:
Daps
Crazy how so many people on here wrote SZA off because of the gap between albums. Arm chair Coli A&R's struck again and yet again were wrong.

i think a lot of people are just used to speaking the same old vapid talking points. sza will put out deep ass conversations about herself and her industry and it goes over heads.

her: i dont like it here and i don't like my music, i see three mental health professionals :ehh:
so called fans: hurry up and mush bytch.... get these sales :damn:... something something summer walker...

:dead: