Super Mario Bros Movie (April 5th, 2023) starring Chris Pratt, Anya Taylor-Joy, Keagen-Micheal Key, Jack Black, and Seth Rogan 👑🍄

NOSaintsFan02

Superstar
Daps
As everyone said, a fan service movie, nothing more nothing less. Enjoyable if you love the game. No one should be going in expecting Goodfellas.

I do hope for the sequel they add more layers to the characters. But I can also see Nintendo being very hands on and wanting every movie to basically be bare bones like this one is.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
As everyone said, a fan service movie, nothing more nothing less. Enjoyable if you love the game. No one should be going in expecting Goodfellas.

I do hope for the sequel they add more layers to the characters. But I can also see Nintendo being very hands on and wanting every movie to basically be bare bones like this one is.

It was like watching a 90 minute Trix commercial

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
It was excellent, but extremely fast paced films are a super turn off for most critics. So, I see why this review poorly. The pace was absolutely insane and the details to grasp per second was kind of crazy.
But at the same time these kids ain't trying to sit there for 2 hours period. 90 minutes is exactly right for a flick like this.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
But at the same time these kids ain't trying to sit there for 2 hours period. 90 minutes is exactly right for a flick like this.
shyt me too. I was wiped out from the work week. Felt whoever wrote this film had a 2 hour 15 minute script and Had a coke binge weekend and crammed it down to 98 minutes without cutting a single scene. Lmao.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
shyt me too. I was wiped out from the work week. Felt whoever wrote this film had a 2 hour 15 minute script and Had a coke binge weekend and crammed it down to 98 minutes without cutting a single scene. Lmao.
DK and Mario fighting koopas and basically playing a level together definitely deserved 5 more minutes at least lol

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been a Mariohead my whole life, so I enjoyed it. They really went in with a lot of those easter eggs.

The pictures of Little Mac and all Punch-Out Boxers they had all over the wall in the pizzeria :banderas:
Foreman Spike :banderas:
The OG Mario voice actor hanging around the Pizzeria :banderas:
The GameCube ringtone :banderas:
Mario playing Kid Icarus in his apartment :banderas:
Cranky, Diddy, Dixie, and Chunky Kong cameos :banderas:
All the classic Mario enemies, levels and powerups :banderas:
All the classic leitmotifs from the different games (Mario 3, Mario World, Super Mario Kart, etc.)
The throwback to the Super Show theme song :banderas:

I love it when film adaptations are made by teams of people who actually care about the source material and don't come in thinking they know better than the OG's who created the characters.

Last edited:

taker597

Superstar
Daps
I can't help but wonder if Illumination has the staffing necessary to make a "Nintendo cinematic universe"..you'd have to at LEAST have a Zelda movie, Metroid movie, maybe a Kirby movie..and THIS movie is obviously getting a sequel. That's tough.
If you look at their slate of properties. It felt like their previous stuff has run their course and Universal is going all in on Nintendo IP. I would imagine that they'll shift gears.