Suicide Squad (Official Thread)

AkaDemiK

I Love Hip-Hop
Daps
original.jpg

eddielong31.jpg

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
:ohhh:

Trailers parked out on a side street a couple of blocks north this evening...

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
As much as I like Ayer for writing the fukk out of Training Day, his directing is always shotty. End of Watch was another great film, but besides being outside his wheel house in this one, it looks like he doesn't understand the characters. He wrote SS as well, so I know it will have the Sabotage and or Street Kings vibe to it (first person camera, kicking in doors swat-style scenes) so he'll sell the gun-play/emotion to a scene, but I don't think he'll deliver an understandable cast.

Too much backstory to dive into them anyway, but it feels like a cheap money move than anything else. Will Smith as Deadshot? C'mon.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
As much as I like Ayer for writing the fukk out of Training Day, his directing is always shotty. End of Watch was another great film, but besides being outside his wheel house in this one, it looks like he doesn't understand the characters. He wrote SS as well, so I know it will have the Sabotage and or Street Kings vibe to it (first person camera, kicking in doors swat-style scenes) so he'll sell the gun-play/emotion to a scene, but I don't think he'll deliver an understandable cast.

Too much backstory to dive into them anyway, but it feels like a cheap money move than anything else. Will Smith as Deadshot? C'mon.
I so don't get when people say stuff like this. All of these super-hero movies are money grabs. No one makes these as high art. They are made with the intention of generating insane amounts of money at the box office and through merchandising.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

I guess you didn't watch Fury.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I guess you didn't watch Fury.

It was about one man more than it was about the team, as Ayer usually does well in. Yes he also gives shine to the supporting cast (Whitaker in Street Kings, Hawk in Training Day) but ultimately, he's no Whedon, he really can't do anymore then one character per scene. His degradation of said character(s) is always excellent but he's biting off more than he can chew.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I so don't get when people say stuff like this. All of these super-hero movies are money grabs. No one makes these as high art. They are made with the intention of generating insane amounts of money at the box office and through merchandising.

What's not to understand? Yes movies make money, yes the studio wants to get paid, but still, in this day and age, directors say no to scripts, writers say no to studios and so forth. And hey guess what, you can actually have both, a piece of art and money grab (Batman Trilogy). As for any of it being "high art", lets not dive into that, art is undefined, leaving it at that, since we'll more than likely go meta on the subject.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
you think studios thought watchmen was going to make insane amounts of money?

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
you think studios thought watchmen was going to make insane amounts of money?

To be fair, and accurate, it started off that way, if it has to do with Joel Silver, its about making tons of cash on trash. They wanted Arnold, Tom Cruise, Sigourney Weaver and damn near every fukking other A lister from the early 90's, which was a facepalm moment for me. Then Snyder eventually got it, and he probably did the best casting job in film history (excluding Malin Akerman). When he brought Dave Gibbons in I knew he wanted something serious. And while Alan "unibomber" Moore hated everything, he gave props to David Hayter for writing the best script adaptation, since you know, he likes playing the martyr and when literally asked to write and co-direct the film with Snyder, he said no.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
To be fair, and accurate, it started off that way, if it has to do with Joel Silver, its about making tons of cash on trash. They wanted Arnold, Tom Cruise, Sigourney Weaver and damn near every fukking other A lister from the early 90's, which was a facepalm moment for me. Then Snyder eventually got it, and he probably did the best casting job in film history (excluding Malin Akerman). When he brought Dave Gibbons in I knew he wanted something serious. And while Alan "unibomber" Moore hated everything, he gave props to David Hayter for writing the best script adaptation, since you know, he likes playing the martyr and when literally asked to write and co-direct the film with Snyder, he said no.

To be fair in the Director's Cut/Ultimate Cut Silk Spectre II's part is a bit more fleshed out and Malin comes off decent. But yeah, still the worst cast member by a lot.
And Alan Moore has said specifically that story is very specific to the comic book genre, it isn't meant to be a film. If you read the book and know about the double meanings in regards to text vs picture panels you see his point.
But I do think Snyder did as good as anyone could possibly do with the source material. Solid effort.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
an R rated superhero flick with characters the average individual had never heard of? :leon:
That they gave an over $100 million budget. You don't spend that type of money and not have expectations that you are going to get a nice return on it.
It was a miscalculation on their part but to think WB didn't go into it expecting that the movie would be a money maker is flawed thinking.