Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope” Update: Confirmed Blassic

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
RPG Developers are getting scared about what Larian is doing with this game. shyt is going to be goatee :banderas:

Everyone’s like chill with using Baldurs Gate 3 as a baseline for upcoming RPG’s, we ain’t built like that :hubie:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Good. These guys put much effort and care and they are reaping the benefits. They took the past decade of Western RPGs and moved it forward.

It’s crazy i was big into the kickstarter rpg revitalization era, i was funding everything, wasteland 2, Pillars, Divinity, battletech, etc. it’s crazy to see how big Larian has gotten since then. They are essentially making the GTA of CRPG’s now.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I thought it was just ok during early access, a lot of the growing pains divinity had carried into this.

Hopefully the final product is what it's cracked up to be. I already have it so I shouldn't have to pay anything extra on PC to play the official release, so in by default.

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
I’m interested in other AAA franchises having to step their game up because of this.

Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dragon’s Dogma are all on notice.

If their shyt ain’t poppin at least graphically :camby:

I already know they won’t have nearly 1/4 the customization and interaction

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
if you value true choice and freedom in your rpgs, i think this is really it.

DOS2 was a lot like ToTK in terms of player expression. If you think you could do something to break the game you usually could. Like teleporting a boss into a pit of lava. Or dropping crate of deathfog on a group of strong enemies and instantly killing them. Making things fight each other, by leading them out to another hostile territory. Filling a barrel of poison and throwing it at someone, shyt like that.

I’m interested in other AAA franchises having to step their game up because of this.

Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Dragon’s Dogma are all on notice.

If their shyt ain’t poppin at least graphically :camby:

I already know they won’t have nearly 1/4 the customization and interaction

Yeah, i think a lot of these 3rd person rpgs still have a very far way to go before they feel like actual D&D, make your own adventure type campaigns. The choices of Mass Effect and Dragon Age are kind of basic at this point

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

DOS2 was a lot like ToTK in terms of player expression. If you think you could do something to break the game you usually could. Like teleporting a boss into a pit of lava. Or dropping crate of deathfog on a group of strong enemies and instantly killing them. Making things fight each other, by leading them out to another hostile territory. Filling a barrel of poison and throwing it at someone, shyt like that.

Yeah, i think a lot of these 3rd person rpgs still have a very far way to go before they feel like actual D&D, make your own adventure type campaigns. The choices of Mass Effect and Dragon Age are kind of basic at this point
teleporting enemies into the death fog was my maneuver :lolbron:

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Some games are just fine with a streamlined approach. At least for me so ME and DA are good, I don’t really need do every possible action to have a good time. That’s why that first DA is still one of the goats. Some gamers get carried away when a rpg doesn’t let you do WHATEVER you want

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Some games are just fine with a streamlined approach. At least for me so ME and DA are good, I don’t really need do every possible action to have a good time. That’s why that first DA is still one of the goats. Some gamers get carried away when a rpg doesn’t let you do WHATEVER you want

But sometimes you just want a rpg that lets you truly dictate how you live and play in that world.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But sometimes you just want a rpg that lets you truly dictate how you live and play in that world.
Facts

I wasn’t speaking on you personally but others who look down on games that don’t let you run wild in their world like that is a new standard because it’s not and never willl be. And if that’s the case a lot of upcoming rpgs will be unfairly judged by a mechanic that just is going to be in all games moving forward so expectations should be tempered

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
...people was deadass on my head in our BG3 thread for talking about the scope and depth of the game,
but now the industry seen a glimpse and the bird app got people doing preemptive thinkpieces like 'they did some crazy, generational shyt; don't be looking at us like that:whoa:' and the game ain't even fukking out yet.

Had people calling me crazy for saying this was about to do some shyt beyond what these other studios are even trying. And nikkas was sending me messages calling me all sorts of dumbass.

:beli:
You can fastball-special goblins into other goblins. I may make a character solely around just tossing shyt around. Tables. Chairs. Party members.
What other game lets you weaponize a gnome bard and throw it at a troll for damage? Name another: I'll wait

Love to see Larian getting that attention :banderas: DOS and even DOS2 didn't get as much respect because contemporaries were starting the transition of the genre away from 'role playing' and more into action-with-leveling/loot and the Larian formula in its infancy looked like a dated homage the RPGs past at glance, when it was actually a progression. And the (hopefully fully-realized) fruits of that are on the way to release.

shyt finna be wild.