Strapped (1993) - directed by Forest Whitaker appreciation thread

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I believe you are right. Thing is i was confused why Bamboo turned on his homie that quickly - he was in an altogether better situation than he was before Bokeem's character started doing business with him.

(1) Making more money by getting his guns from Atlanta
(2) Bokeem didn't sell him out during the interrogation (homicide - killing the little girl)
(3) Bokeem only ratted on the white arms dealer, he never said anything about Bamboo (arms charges)
but bamboo didn't know that... he was sitting in a cell, saw his homie talking to the cops, giving a statement... then his homie goes free while he still locked up

what the hell you gonna think? regardless of who you tell on, you officially a snitch... and not that innocent bystander snitching either... so now WE gonna be snitches cause i'm rolling with you...

nikkas have been killed for less

Cheech&Chong

rip chinx
Daps
Reppin
Dope movie. Copped it off amazon a few years back. Best scene is when Bustas getting ready for the get back

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Dope movie and sooooooo 1993 lol. The music is :wow:. 1993 was my best year ever as a kid and I was living in NYC at the time, so the nostalgia is high when I watch this. Rocking Cross Colours and those wooly caps with the tail sticking out (whatever they were called). Good times. :mjcry:

I like Bokeem, but his acting is :mjlol: status at times. He wasn't bad in Dead Presidents, but I couldn't take him seriously as a preacher.

The scene with his mom when she discovers his money is pure unintentional comedy. First she tells him to get out the house, then in the next breath she says she ain't letting him leave. The "excuse grandma" part is hilarious.

The random clips with Bokeem dancing is funny as shyt too.

That notorious grocery store scene goes over some people's heads though. The reason Bamboo acted out the way he did was just a smokescreen because he was actually nervous about Ben's threats. You know how scared dudes sometimes behave over the top and try to display a false nonchalant or overly aggressive attitude to cover their fear. That's why as soon as he heard something drop, his knee jerk reaction was to pull the trigger and he ended up killing that little girl. Dude wasn't seriously ordering no damn sandwich. :heh:

I did NOT like that ending though. :martin:

Daps
but bamboo didn't know that... he was sitting in a cell, saw his homie talking to the cops, giving a statement... then his homie goes free while he still locked up

what the hell you gonna think? regardless of who you tell on, you officially a snitch... and not that innocent bystander snitching either... so now WE gonna be snitches cause i'm rolling with you...

nikkas have been killed for less

:ohhh: didn't clue in to that - so Diquan walked free and Bamboo stayed locked up afterwards for a lil bit huh?

:wow: with Bamboo's volatile ass, no wonder Diquan had booked that Greyhound outta Brooklyn.

Daps
Dope movie and sooooooo 1993 lol. The music is :wow:. 1993 was my best year ever as a kid and I was living in NYC at the time, so the nostalgia is high when I watch this. Rocking Cross Colours and those wooly caps with the tail sticking out (whatever they were called). Good times. :mjcry:

Can you post some pics? Maybe it's the lingo but I don't get what you mean here.

I like Bokeem, but his acting is :mjlol: status at times. He wasn't bad in Dead Presidents, but I couldn't take him seriously as a preacher.

i actually didn't like Bokeem before this movie. Wasn't a fan of his role in Dead Presidents. It's been a while since I watched the movie but I wasn't really convinced of his transition from Vietnam Veteran / borderline psychopath to a preacher. Plus nikka just looked goofy all around.

The random clips with Bokeem dancing is funny as shyt too.

Kinda digged the effect. Reminded me of the interesting interludes you see on animes right when they are about to break into a commercial or coming out of a commercial.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Can you post some pics? Maybe it's the lingo but I don't get what you mean here.

Cross Colours, the popular clothing brand from back then:

TheHundreds.com-The-Hundreds-X-Cross-Colours05.jpg

As for those caps, Treach always used to wear them like in this video:

bigrodthe1

The Kang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
7mile to SE & Uptown!
How the hell could he think he snitched on him when he ended up never getting charged?? :dahell:
Bamboo was just an idiot.

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
How the hell could he think he snitched on him when he ended up never getting charged?? :dahell:
You aint that naive fam:comeon:
You know the cops do that dumb shyt to fukk with muthafukkas
Watch Clockers

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
He snitched. If you a snitch you a snitch. It's only a matter of time. Plus I'm sure the cops told him some bullshyt too

nikkas doing crimes and facing murders don't have time to debate that type of shyt. You facing life or the needle and somebody is telling ANYTHING, he got to die