Strapped (1993) - directed by Forest Whitaker appreciation thread

Daps
DVD_cover_of_Strapped.jpg

Obligatory video

Just watched this for the first time. Apparently it was a HBO direct-to-video movie. Considering it was direct-to-video I was expecting some really low production values on the par of Killa Season but the entire movie was great. Set in Brooklyn and Bokeem Woodbine's first film. Didn't know that as well.

What were y'alls favorite scene, and how come I never hear this mentioned when hood films are talked about? The soundtrack btw is piff :ohlawd::ohlawd: Lots of Onyx cuz Fredro Starr is a lead, but damn there were lots of other good ones that I'd have to rewatch to identify because I don't think any soundtrack was released with the movie.

Daps
bamboo was a psychopath

I believe you are right. Thing is i was confused why Bamboo turned on his homie that quickly - he was in an altogether better situation than he was before Bokeem's character started doing business with him.

(1) Making more money by getting his guns from Atlanta
(2) Bokeem didn't sell him out during the interrogation (homicide - killing the little girl)
(3) Bokeem only ratted on the white arms dealer, he never said anything about Bamboo (arms charges)

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This was BET movie of the week for about a year in the late 90's, like 1998. I watched this half a dozen times...Powerful when I was 13, though it shows it's age and limits in Woodbine's acting, but a poignant movie in it's way. Favorite scene is probably towards the end as Fredo deconstructs.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
:wow::wow::wow:
This takes me back - I watched this at my aunt's crib in Queens when we visited that summer.

Lowkey this film might be the reason I became #TeamBokeem :ohhh:

Daps
They aired it on HBO before it hit video. I had a vhs tape of it I recorded. Haven't watched it in 20 years though.

Didn't know HBO was dropping that heat way back when. Does it feel funny re-watching after such a long hiatus? I get that feeling sometimes watching movies I'd last seen 10+ years ago. Can't imagine 20.