Stimulus & Bailout Watch Thread

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It's dumb to sit here and complain about how much money is going to Boeing or how much money is going to the airlines, etc.. That was always going to happen no matter what. Trump is President and the GOP controls the Senate. There were going to be concessions no matter what.

Dems had some leverage but not as much as you think. The difference between a Republican and a Democrat is a Democrat will stay home.. Democrats and I don't mean the actual politicians I mean the people, mostly.. are too smart for their own good. They see clearly with 20/20 vision and it sours them on candidates.

The Republicans could have let everyone in this country die and in many ways they already have, do you think that means Trump supporters are no longer going to be Trump supporters? Nope. They will still show up in November regardless.

So yes, Dems had to make that deal and they got as much out of it as they could with the little leverage they had. If people are serious about changing things then they need to show up to the polls and vote.

Bernie has some nice ideas but where's the turnout? Somehow 77-year old Joe Biden has more people inspired.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don't view the leverage from that perspective. DC politics have more to do with the players on the field (politicians) than support back home (voters). In this case, the bill was started in the senate in large part because Trump hasn't talked to Pelosi in months. They passed the bill and were ready to go home (recess). If Pelosi had passed her own bill and sent it back to the senate, McConnell could have simply said fukk you and gone home. It's a game of hot potato, and this time it happened to land on Pelosi. Personally I thought Pelosi would win this, at least on the monthly payments+cash amount, because Trump likes big numbers.

Basically when you have the presidency and the senate, you have the leverage. But even if you just have the presidency...you have the leverage because ultimate the president is the one who signs shyt. If you remember, there were countless cases where the House couldn't get their far right shyt passed, Obama made threats and John Boehner (republican Speak of the House at the time) would end up forcing republicans to eat a shyt sandwich and pass whatever needed to be passed.

Here's what will likely happen next: People will get their checks...after April 1st (ie rent day), people will still be desperate, people will still be losing jobs, and things will continue to get ugly. They're gonna be forced to send out another round of checks...and if they don't, suddenly you have Biden and democrats running on a monthly check stimulus bill proposal. Is Trump gonna just say fukk it and do nothing? Given how he operates in terms of greasing wheels, I gotta think he will relent and propose some type of monthly relief. If not it's electoral poison for republicans. This is why those conservative thinkers balked in the days leading up to the vote. They know this opens the door for more government aide, and they know democrats are far better at that shyt than republicans. They've set a precedent that will bite them in the ass the next time there's a democrat president and house or senate. Because once you turn on the faucet it's hard to turn it off. This is why they still haven't been able to get rid of Obamacare. People like that shyt...

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
So citizens get a one time payment of $1200 and hope to qualify for unemployment?
the delay in passing this stimulus bill did not implement a form of UBI or offer citizens a needed relief like government paying our monthly bills for the rona affected months

Complete waste of time and resources, but folks will still vote based off of rhetoric, not results

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
So citizens get a one time payment of $1200 and hope to qualify for unemployment?
the delay in passing this stimulus bill did not implement a form of UBI or offer citizens a needed relief like government paying our monthly bills for the rona affected months

Complete waste of time and resources, but folks will still vote based off of rhetoric, not results

Disagree

If the results are bad enough then they will vote on that. Trump knows this thats why he wants most everywhere to open up in 2 weeks

If they didnt structure unemployment right then people are really gonna wig out

I see it like this:

1. Its your weekly benefit x 26 for your cap. then extra 600 on top of that until you exhaust "pre 600" cap. Which in my case id run out in around 5 weeks
2. Its the pre bonus cap plus an extra 13 weeks of the pre bonus cap in which case id run out in 7 or 8 weeks
3. Its the pre bonus cap. Weekly benefit plus 600 until cap is hit. Then an extra 13 weeks of just the $600
4. They will factor in the 600 to your weekly benefit then times that by 39 for cap. In that case id be rolling in dough. Like really rolling in dough.

I cant imagine its #3 or #4

Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia

Wrong thread bro, you're supposed to be telling us how this won't be a big deal in the other thread