Steve Stoute: "The older generation didn't care about lyrics. That's why Illmatic took 5 years to go Gold. G Rap never got rewarded for lyrics"

Sweet Pea

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
Yeah, the tiers for rap in the mid-90s

Tier 1: Snoop and Bone Thugs (white people and hispanics LOVED Bone Thugs and all that melodic shyt). Also Fugees in '96. Quadruple platinum+, even dorky white people know their shyt
Tier 1.5: Biggie, Pac. This was tough :pachaha:
Tier 2: Ice Cube, LL, Dogg Pound, Wu-Tang as a collective, '96 Nas. Double platinum level
Tier 3: Outkast, Busta, Warren G, AZ, Scarface, A Tribe Called Quest - Platinum artists, but still firmly below the glass ceiling. Their region does a lil bit of lifting, but not as much as tier 4
Tier 4: Redman, Mobb Deep, 94-95 Nas, '96 Jay, Goodie Mob, Too Short, DJ Quik, Spice 1, Kool G Rap, etc...basically all of the acts that were big in their region but not really nationally outside of a hit or 2. Gold
Tier 5/Lords of the Underground: Boot Cam Clik, UGK, DITC, Jeru, Gang Starr, etc.

Edit: Actually might have to
This list is all fukked up. Too Short was going platinum every year. Warren G in 94 sold more than Nas in 96 and had bigger singles. You left out Coolio who was undeniably big in the mid 90’s. Cypress Hill should be tier 2. G Rap’s a legend but he was not going Gold in the 90’s.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
This list is all fukked up. Too Short was going platinum every year. Warren G in 94 sold more than Nas in 96 and had bigger singles. You left out Coolio who was undeniably big in the mid 90’s. Cypress Hill should be tier 2. G Rap’s a legend but he was not going Gold in the 90’s.
Yeah I meant to move Too Short up but didn't get around to it. I was largely going off memory so I know I left some folks out

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
welp west coast shytted on it

white girl didn't serch no good feedback :russ:

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
IMO, The Source made that album the "classic" that it is now.

Cause I wouldn't have been at Tower Records that Tuesday Morning without it.

Also, I see a lot of cats from "Up North" talk about Gangstarr, Tribe, Nas, Wu Tang - like they was playing that on the radio everywhere in the country.

I can tell you they was not playing Jeru the Damaja in Dallas, Houston, New Orleans, etc for the Hot 7 at 7.

You wasn't gonna play the wall and have some chick grind on you to Mobb Deep.

All that stuff outside of the tri-state/Boston was UNDERGROUND.

Backpacks and Adidas.

Cats in hot ass Texas wearing Timbs and Fatigues, and couldn't tell you where the L train stopped.
That statement is something that no one ever believes on here. I've said the same thing many times. The Bay got wayyy more love than all east coast rappers in Texas at that time. Our radio stations may have played the "big hit" from Biggie or someone from NY but for the most part you were not going to hear those guys on the radio in Texas especially in the mid 90s. We flew the Westcoast flag heavily. In the summer of 95 you know what eastcoast guys got the most play on K104?
AZ- Sugarhiil
Biggie-one more chance remix
Method Man- your all I need.
None of those songs got more play than E-40 songs in Texas

Nas wasn't on the radio in Dallas til 96 with "if I ruled the world" and that was on the strength of Lauryn Hill being red hot at the time.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People forget a lot of times that Rap Music is music, lol, it's not "Lyrics"...that's battle rap. The average rap fan wouldn't even make it through watching a battle before deciding they're never sitting through this shh!t again, lmao, aint no music. Us "care about lyrics" type nigs are a minority in this...should be obvious. Back in the day lyrics were more fashionable and held in higher regard tho, imo.

Daps
Reppin
RENO, Nevada
Is Illmatic flopping exaggerated?

60K first week and going Gold in a year and a half is pretty good for a debut
Doggystyle sold 800k 1st week

Stone

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He gave Young MC as an example but where is he now?

Also I would argue that the bar for rap was higher back then so people didn’t really have to care about lyrics if that makes any sense

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Nas wasn't on the radio in Dallas til 96 with "if I ruled the world" and that was on the strength of Lauryn Hill being red hot at the time.

You feel me!

Like It Was Written got to platinum because 1M people really was into lyrics?

They didn't buy Organized with Stray Bullet, and when Nas bit it for I gave you Power - they still wasn't buying his album to hear that...

He, like some, realized that lyrics really don't sell.

And Nas was never some type of Lyrical Miracle, billion metaphors and similes, constant punchlines, battle rapper. He could do that Live at the BBQ for instance - but that's not why folks love Nas)

Singles sell records.
Videos sell records
Radio spins sell records
Club spins sell records.

Cats want something to ride to.
Pull up at the car wash and bump something
Something to smoke to.
Something to hear at the clubs
Something to mob with your boys and get hype (Ante Up by MOP = Down 4 My Ninjas by C-Murder/Magic/Snoop)
Females want something to dance to, get buck to, throw they ass in a circle to..

And I'm the first one to tell folks my favorite mc's include E-Rule and Godfather Don.

If you was "underground back then", you'd bump UNLV AND Wu Tang. But 12:30 Am, you at the club, we not hearing GZA do an extended metaphor with Labels.