Steve Ditko Dead At 90

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
Ditko is a LIbertarian not a neo con or conservative.
One of my favorite writers.
His Mr. A comics were some of my favorites.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Much like bob Kane, he gave credit once other people started speaking up and he couldn’t keep denying stuff or dodging it.
Did Bob Kane ever give credit to Finger?
Stan gave credit early on (Marvel Bullpen was pushed into the limelight along with superheroes) but his "Hollywood" interviews usually cited him as the lone creator because he was the face of Marvel and he just never corrected them.
With Kane, back them creators didn't get credit but Kane struck a deal to get his name as the sole creator. I believe he even actively stopped Finger from getting credit

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, it even went as far that Stan Lee barely wrote books himself and would just give simple outlines (Spider-Man encounters a mad scientist called Doctor Octopus, the Fantastic Four travel back in time!) to Ditko or Kirby who then had to fill in the entire story himself.

No one can deny that Stan was a great "idea man" who put his stamp on things, but almost all of the execution fell on the artists. He was basically the Steve Jobs of comics.

Either way, RIP to one of the GOATs.
Stan definitely did the writing (fill in the word balloons). His voice is all over the first 100 or so issues of the Fantastic Four, early Amazing Spider-Man, and a few more. Kirby's writing style is a bit more unrefined and is a clear difference between his and Stan's. Stan writes the way he talks.

Besides the initial creation (idea) of some characters and their backstory, I believe the artist came up with 80 to 90 percent of the issues most of the times under the Marvel way when Stan was writing and editing

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Did Bob Kane ever give credit to Finger?
Stan gave credit early on (Marvel Bullpen was pushed into the limelight along with superheroes) but his "Hollywood" interviews usually cited him as the lone creator because he was the face of Marvel and he just never corrected them.
With Kane, back them creators didn't get credit but Kane struck a deal to get his name as the sole creator. I believe he even actively stopped Finger from getting credit

Kane did on his deathbed or close to his deathbed. But it took DC longer to do it. Just like it took them a long time to give the Schusters their money for Superman

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kane did on his deathbed or close to his deathbed. But it took DC longer to do it. Just like it took them a long time to give the Schusters their money for Superman
Wasn't sure if Kane did but it sounds about right for him to wait till he is a second from death to give credit.

Two books that I read that gives some insight of Marvel during the early years that I think are worth reading if you want to know what was going down are:
Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe and Tales to Astonish by Ronin Ro

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Wasn't sure if Kane did but it sounds about right for him to wait till he is a second from death to give credit.

Two books that I read that gives some insight of Marvel during the early years that I think are worth reading if you want to know what was going down are:
Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe and Tales to Astonish by Ronin Ro

I’ll check them out