Steph Curry gets credited with "changing the NBA", when it was really Mike D'Antoni

Gil Scott-Heroin

✊🏿
Daps
The Rockets were a really big deal because it was the first time you had a high usage star that could score AND pass at an extreme level and still build an elite offense with 'cheap' role players. Many people predicted Harden being an all-time scorer when he was still in OKC, but no one except Morey knew Harden could be THAT.

Have to remember that the stigma of the Suns was still a big deal at the time. Houston was showing the league how to create 3pt centric offenses that looked nothing like before. The Dwight Howard Magic and Nellie ball looked nothing like what Harden was doing. It's like they took the Dwight Howard lob threat idea and added an all time 3pt and foul drawing volume offense that the league could not deal with.
Without a doubt, the Rockets certainly popularized the heliocentric offense by using 3-pt spacing, but what I'm arguing is, when we were all talking about how the NBA changed, in real time, we all had Steph at the center of that discourse. He was the star of that show. He made everyone tune in to a new brand of play, which the Rockets didn't do. I understand the point of arguing about how the Rockets led a specific type of play around 3-pt shooting, but the 3-pt era isn't limited to just being that.

Changing the NBA is how folks see it and how they discuss it, after all, it's sports, and not something which is theoretically judged by some numbers off a stat sheet.

By in large, when the NBA has ushered in a new era thoroughout history, it's coincided with someone being the face of that, where they might not literally be the source of every change, they're just the frontman of it, and to me, that's Steph for the 3-pt era. Years from now, this period will be remembered for his 3-pt shooting and not the Rockets'.

That's just how I see it.

:hubie:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Without a doubt, the Rockets certainly popularized the heliocentric offense by using 3-pt spacing, but what I'm arguing is, when we were all talking about how the NBA changed, in real time, we all had Steph at the center of that discourse. He was the star of that show. He made everyone tune in to a new brand of play, which the Rockets didn't do. I understand the point of arguing about how the Rockets led a specific type of play around 3-pt shooting, but the 3-pt era isn't limited to just being that.

Changing the NBA is how folks see it and how they discuss it, after all, it's sports, and not something which is theoretically judged by some numbers off a stat sheet.

By in large, when the NBA has ushered in a new era thoroughout history, it's coincided with someone being the face of that, where they might not literally be the source of every change, they're just the frontman of it, and to me, that's Steph for the 3-pt era. Years from now, this period will be remembered for his 3-pt shooting and not the Rockets'.

That's just how I see it.

:hubie:
Truth. Nobody was deluded into thinking the D'Antoni teams were actually gonna win the title. We all knew they were fun teams that were going to eventually run into a buzz saw in the post-season. Steph and the Steve Kerr Warriors was the true "Damn...." moment, when we saw the changing of the guard and the birth of a new style. HELL! The big 3 era Heat and the "small ball" that Spo implemented by sending CB to the 5 and having Bron play the 4, could be seen as part of that wave. D'Antoni's style was never the style that other teams saw as a worthwhile attempted replicate.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
Don Nelson was doing some of this with the Mavs before Pringles.
:mjgrin:
Was doing it further back with run TMC.

But the volume of 3s is directly related to the success of Curry and the Warriors. D'Antoni and Nelson never won, so nobody really copied them.

Gil Scott-Heroin

✊🏿
Daps
HELL! The big 3 era Heat and the "small ball" that Spo implemented by sending CB to the 5 and having Bron play the 4, could be seen as part of that wave. D'Antoni's style was never the style that other teams saw as a worthwhile attempted replicate.
You cotdamn right.

I actually should amend my list and add the '10s Heat.

Bron and Miami started that heliocentric wave with 3-pt spacing, on a smaller scale (because he shared ball-handling duties with DWade), with him as the point surrounded by 3-pt shooting (Battier at the 4). There's all these varying sizes of increments that led to the 3-pt boom.

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
But the volume of 3s is directly related to the success of Curry and the Warriors. D'Antoni and Nelson never won, so nobody really copied them.

This has already been thoroughly debunked in this thread. Plenty of teams have copied the Harden Rockets and play like them, we listed those out already. Hardly anyone tried to copy the Warriors offense or Steph's style.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
You cotdamn right.

I actually should amend my list and add the '10s Heat.

Bron and Miami started that heliocentric wave with 3-pt spacing, on a smaller scale (because he shared ball-handling duties with DWade), with him as the point surrounded by 3-pt shooting (Battier at the 4). There's all these varying sizes of increments that led to the 3-pt boom.
And CB, actually becoming a 3-point shooter in that offense. A 3-point shooting Center. Playing traditional 5's off the floor.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
To the Victor go the spoils.
So steph is credited with something that steoh did not usher in.

the pistons before they became the badboys. actually were rhe ones who played in this manner first.
In zeke second and third year if remember exactly right.

It is talked about in the badboys documentary.

Later after theat experiment failed.
Loyola Marymount is who the style morphed to.
Then run tmc had it at the same time in the pros.
Then Don nelson of celtic small ball championship pedigree and fame amalgamated it and lost because of no big.
Yet those gimmicks only work.
All because the rule changes.
eroded the quality of the game.
B y taking away illegal defense with the defensive rule changes.

All that bullshyt got exposed.
when they really hooped.
now the rule changes have the nba into. Luxury ball from a white country club now.

Lucky zion was down here to watch. or the nba would be a non watch for me daily.
It would be just like before Mike sent the fax.
.huff as fukk.

Art Barr

Art Barr

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've said this before: Steph, Lillard and Harden all three started upping the three point attempts in the same season (2012-2013), basically all using the same idea, but Steph was able to up his attempts quicker the next few seasons because he is the better shooter.
But as a team, it was definitely Morey and the Rockets who changed the way the NBA thought about this more than the Warriors. People were mocking and denouncing the Rockets for it for several seasons but then turned around and started copying them anyway.

Last edited:

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
To the Victor go the spoils.
So steph is credited with something that steoh did not usher in.

the pistons before they became the badboys. actually were rhe ones who played in this manner first.
In zeke second and third year if remember exactly right.

It is talked about in the badboys documentary.

Later after theat experiment failed.
Loyola Marymount is who the style morphed to.
Then run tmc had it at the same time in the pros.
Then Don nelson of celtic small ball championship pedigree and fame amalgamated it and lost because of no big.
Yet those gimmicks only work.
All because the rule changes.
eroded the quality of the game.
B y taking away illegal defense with the defensive rule changes.

All that bullshyt got exposed.
when they really hooped.
now the rule changes have the nba into. Luxury ball from a white country club now.

Lucky zion was down here to watch. or the nba would be a non watch for me daily.
It would be just like before Mike sent the fax.
.huff as fukk.

Art Barr

Art Barr
I think Rick Pitino's Knicks were the first team to spam threes in NBA

In 88-89 season Knicks shot over a thousand total threes in a regular season. Almost three times more than championship Pistons.

They had a few guys like Mark Jackson, Johnny Newman, etc. who were attempting over 3 three pointers per game which was obviously a lot back then.

I don't know any other team that shot over a thousand threes in a single regular season before them.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I think Rick Pitino's Knicks were the first team to spam threes in NBA

In 88-89 season Knicks shot over a thousand total threes in a regular season. Almost three times more than championship Pistons.

They had a few guys like Mark Jackson, Johnny Newman, etc. who were attempting over 3 three pointers per game which was obviously a lot back then.

I don't know any other team that shot over a thousand threes in a single regular season before them.

Efficiency standards were also lessened to allow this.

To become a winning formula.
Taking away illegal defense and hand checking hurt the nba.
Before that change.

A guy like pitino and his wildcat offense and traps were exposed. Where he got ran back to the college ranks asap.

Art Barr

Daps
Don Nelson started the change.

Mike Dan Tony took it a little further.

Steph will get the credit because he impacted a generation of players JUST NOW entering the league, both WNBA and NBA. He impacted the way players play, not just how other coaches coach. Feels like most male and female players under 30 love Steph and Kobe. Those are their icons.

MJ is more a Gen X and older Millenial (80s babies) icon. LeBron isn't an influence because no one can really mimic his style of play. He's in the same category as Wilt. Just absolute freaks that defy physics and gravity.

premier58

All Star
Daps
Back in the ~06-2012 timeline, analytics were known but only a few teams like Houston (Morey) really employed it. All the big sports betting people already knew about stuff like the 4 factors of basketball and were just printing money.

It's funny looking back, but the amount of terrible GMs and Front Offices that tried to emulate GS, failed, and then finally figured out Steph is 1 of 1 is comical. I remember people comparing Trae Young to Steph and I realized most people have no clue what Steph really is.