Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Blame that spy Abrams

Worse thing to happen to star trek.

Yup.

The original series movies NEVER needed a reboot and haven’t exactly been received very well by true Trek fans. Would’ve rather seen those resources allocated into another series. Thankfully that bozo will never touch another grain of Star Trek.

The show is extremely well thought out and doesn’t need to borrow from anyone. Gene birthed it obviously but it was almost necessary to nudge him off into the sunset so the franchise had the ability to grow.

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
As it should. I'm a huge fan of both, but Star Trek has a lot more going for it in this argument.
Star trek has the benefit of being a tv show so it has more time flesh things out and develop characters more. Star Wars had to pace itself in a way that gets right to the point.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Years ago, i would have told you Star Wars>Star Trek. Now I think it's the opposite. I really like Discovery and Strange New Worlds.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
Star trek has the benefit of being a tv show so it has more time flesh things out and develop characters more. Star Wars had to pace itself in a way that gets right to the point.
Nah bro Star Trek has covered a vastly broader array of topics, has better writing, characters, hell even the lore of Star Trek is just better. Star Wars has plenty of TV shows now too, as well as books and comics. The problem with Star Wars is they depend too much on the Skywalker's and characters associated with them to carry them instead of trying new well written shyt.

Granted the High Republic of Star Wars that I've been reading is really good(especially Phase 2) and I can see them rebooting Star Wars based off the lore and history they are creating there. I actually see this happening before too long given the backlash to how Disney has treated existing Star Wars lore and characters since they bought it. Honestly when Disney bought the Star Wars IP that's what they should have done was rebooted the franchise and fans never would of had any problem with what they were doing, now all Disney has done is left a sour taste in people's mouths.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Star Trek easily. You could create an entire cinematic universe just based on the shenanigans that take place in the Holodeck. The major flaw in Star Trek is they never address how mankind reigns in the power of AI. The borg is the closet idea to it. Never read the Dune books but my understanding is AI and advance computing is banned out of fear of it.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I've heard people say Richard Pryor isn't that funny. New face azz niqqas who don't know the history.

We are used to people who studied Rich and took his style a bit further, and by now we have generstions of comedians who studied those who studied Rich.

Pryor invented modern standup. All your favorite comedians are doing Pryor's style, but with the benefit of decades of others refining and pushing it.

And so with Star Wars. The OG movie invented the genre. Almost everything dope in Sci Fi sips off of Star Wars much like all comics sip off of Superman.

For that fact alone I put Star Wars at the top of the Sci Fi pile.

Star Trek predates Star Wars and has its own lane. But it's impact has never been the same.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

New shyt I just learned yesterday about Star Trek. It turns out that Nichelle Nichols was planning on leaving her role as Lieutenant Uhura, but Martin Luther King Jr. personally convinced her to stay on. Told her that she was the only Black woman on television who was playing a role that wasn't just a "black" role or a "woman" role, but an actual leadership role with command, and that she was a positive role model to Black families across the country.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
If I was a kid, it would be star wars. My great aunt was big into the next generation while my grandma had the Lucasfilm 3 pieces so I grew up with them. Getting older and watching the star trek series on streaming made me realize a few things. One the next generation looks fukking ridiculous quality wise streaming. I've considered buying the blu rays for it. Two the writing is stronger in the next generation and ds9, but a multiple season spanning series should have stronger writing. Third, it may be for nostalgia sakes, but the highs and lows for star wars are much greater than star trek to me. Sure enough I haven't seen anything nutrek beyond enterprise, but star wars has some massive fukking falloff with certain movies and required TV shows to pick up the slack. Not to mention that Jake alone is worth more than most of the black characters in star wars. Let's nor get into the smooth genocider in sisko.