SSN Breaking news-Microsoft to exit the gaming business if Gamepass is still mid by 2027

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
G8Fitm4.jpg

mj-cigar.gif

BBG

2014-2024
Daps

Violin on the Titanic Xbots are willing to go down with the obviously sinking ship but furious at me for escaping on the Sony life raft. Calling me a Sony Stan as if I had any other choice.

The further they sink, the sadder it becomes. Imagine being a middle-aged cheerleader for a failing game division that gives you all of zero reasons to support them in 2023. The cope is just pretending everything is fine and lashing out at those who won't die with them.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
100 mil subs? Not a snowball's chance in hell :pachaha:
If they open up cloud gaming to India, and get China to allow them through the Great Chinese Firewall, 100 million subs would be a piece of cake. Right now Xbox cloud gaming is in neither country.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I mean man, outside of Gears and Halo, they really didn't bring much the last twenty years and those titles fell off in regards to their consistency by not being able to produce great sequels. Not to mention other shooters like Call of Duty being the era's defining shooter games during those years.

The simple question though is, was anybody really needing an Xbox in the first place and even more relevant - do they now? When the Xbox dropped it was because of Halo, then the 360 dropped it was because of Gears. Nothing to note since then as the other big action games took over - back in 2007 which was more than 15 years ago.

Starfield this year was supposed to be that game, but it only now has barely outsold Final Fantasy XVI (which had a lot of protest) and still at best sits as the 5th highest selling title this year. That ain't moving the needle in the way they need. If that took 10 years to make, that's not a good sign if they need something in the next three years (2027).

They haven't been able to create any enormous exclusive console-must have FOMO since Gears of War and Halo to be honest. After the 360 generation, most FPS gamers went to PC straight up while relying on Playstation and Nintendo for all the other games. Sports games are basically PS-dominated and has taken a lot of people's needs for online team games. Nobody needs exclusive Microsoft shooters anymore.

Again, 2027 is three years away and they're going to need something big. At this point, I don't see it. They'll need to find something fast and easy to make that's groundbreaking. That kind of innovation doesn't come around often.

As a company, maybe Microsoft goes the Nvidia route and steps away from gaming to focus on AI and put more resources into ChatGPT as they may be starting to engage in an AI war with Google after they purchased OpenAI.

So that's three big competitors in different markets, 2 of which (Apple and Sony) they're getting out-gunned and the other (Google) is a monster when it comes to the internet and now they're basically direct competitors for internet search space. At this point they're spread thin and kind of, well, mid at everything except they got ChatGPT (and hopefully the acquisition of OpenAI don't end up like their other acquisitions).

Sometimes you got to learn you can't swim with fish and you may have to pull your resources because you're getting spread too thin.

If Microsoft does end up leaving the space, I'd personally love to see a Sony and Nintendo all out war.

Last edited:

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
Sony Stan’s can’t even read a simple graph. No way y’all work in tech :francis:

FY27 target is around 50m+. So they need to double their growth in 4 years.

What’s that around 10-12% each year?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!

50 ain't happening either is the point

They've been around 25 for a couple of years now... it's supposed to magically double in a few years?

Unless my theory of gamepass coming to Playstation happens. That's the only way

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps

Given the year-over-year growth of the entire gaming market, 10-12% a year is far from impossible. People forget, for every Non-gaming Silent Gen'er or Boomer who dies, a new gamer is born.