Square says the Japanese market is no longer big enough for them

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
That aint enough. I'm thinking back to the days where they had games like Legend of Dragoon, Parappa and Genji on the systems. A Dragoon reboot/sequel made by Square veterans would be a good get for the PS5. Especially if they can run it in Decima or Unreal Engine 5. Game would be guaranteed to look and run well.

They gotta bring back Legend of Dragoon. Sony leaving money on the table.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Honestly, I hope they can stay independent. Studios never really do that great when Microsoft buys them. Sony seems to get a lot out of their dev teams, but I don't really care for their direction with Jim Ryan at the helm. Them being bought out by Nintendo means that we'll see all of their games limited by ancient hardware, so no thanks there. Out of those three, I'd guess I would prefer Sony, but I like the ability for them to have their AAA tier which they typically release on Sony machines first and then their lower budget titles which they usually release on Nintendo machines. I feel like the latter would disappear under Sony and they'd be relegated to AAA titles.

Would honestly be wack if Sony bought them for the simple fact that they wouldn’t really benefit from the Sony family-style system they use to share resources, tech, and ideas amongst each other. Studios under sony thrive because they have good management and theres a camaraderie amongst them. If square enix were bought it would be an entirely different division in a region they don’t really communicate with, like team Asobi, even though they have a French dude running the studio.

It would most likely be left to do what they already do and I dont see the benefit in spending money on that unless its to secure them from getting bought by Microsoft or another company that wouldn’t let them make deals.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This guy is a huge MAGA fakkit. Can't stand him at all.

Oh idk who he is, but the info he posted checks out. Nintendo also i said this years ago about the japanese market

Miyamoto (2016) on rising development costs and Japanese market.

"So our basic premise is to create software that will sell in the range of at least two million units. We simply couldn't recoup our costs if we only released games in Japan that had sales of around 300,000 units, so the global market is our standard."

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Japanese devs should've recognized this at least 15 years ago but them some stubborn ass nikkas