"Spy", 2015 action comedy film Melissa McCarthy, Rose Byrne, Jason Statham, Jude Law; from Paul Feig

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
shyt is mediocre. I walked out of it with the same feeling I walked out of Bridesmaids. If it wasn't for the 'women empowerment' agenda critics would tear this juvenile shyt apart. I mean, it's kinda funny at times but Melissa McCarthy is literally just a female Kevin James who happens to do R-rated jokes, there's absolutely no other difference whatsoever and it's a joke critics are propping her up for making the same movies they normally tear apart.

Anyway, like in Bridesmaids it's actually Rose Byrne who steals the show again while McCarthy is just doing her loudmouth pig act. Statham provides a couple of good jokes too and 50 Cent has a semi-decent cameo.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This wasn't half as great as most of the reviews would lead you to believe (It's sitting at 95% on RT). It wasn't terrible either. There were some decent laughs, and I actually laughed out loud twice. However, not all of the jokes worked, and there was something really forced about trying to incorporate McCarthy's usual slapstick style humor into a real spy drama flick. This probably could have worked better if they had they tried to just let the plot play out naturally. The premise that McCarthy would be put out in the field as a CIA operative after spending years in the 'basement', is funny in itself. I think they could have trusted the audience a little more with finding the humor instead of forcing it down our throats in contrived ways. However, seeing the usual spy-types like Jason Statham, poke fun at their cool image and spy movies in general was really fun and balanced out some of McCarthy's over-the-top/try-hard jokes.

Overall, I'd say this is McCarthy's best picture in a long, long time, and the plot is interesting, so it's worth at least a DVD rental.

6 out of 10. :ld:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
For a movie at 95% most reviews ive read watched listened to have been pretty mixed. I also dont think ita gonna do amazing at the box office like some do either

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It was OK.. a bit overlong though and not everything worked.

in the 3rd act it seemed to overdo the profanity for no reason at all

Statham was great for the most part and i always love allison janey

Rose byrne tho :ohlawd: she's never looked better

Last edited:

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
I have never watched a Melissa McCarthy movie but seeing her make bank doing Chris farley's schtick makes me miss him

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
For a movie at 95% most reviews ive read watched listened to have been pretty mixed. I also dont think ita gonna do amazing at the box office like some do either
my mom and dad went to see this i was like :dwillhuh: i was trying to get them to go see mad max so i could go again

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Shyt wasn't that bad at all. It got funnier as it went on because it was kinda meh in the beginning but once she got out in the field, it found its footing. Statham was HILARIOUS though. Like easily the funniest part of the movie, along with Rose Bryne. Melissa did her thing and was her usual foul mouthed self. Good action, good comedy, kinda long and tedious at spots but did the job. Solid B/B-

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
shyt is mediocre. I walked out of it with the same feeling I walked out of Bridesmaids. If it wasn't for the 'women empowerment' agenda critics would tear this juvenile shyt apart. I mean, it's kinda funny at times but Melissa McCarthy is literally just a female Vince Vaughn who happens to do R-rated jokes, there's absolutely no other difference whatsoever and it's a joke critics are propping her up for making the same movies they normally tear apart.

Anyway, like in Bridesmaids it's actually Rose Byrne who steals the show again while McCarthy is just doing her loudmouth pig act. Statham provides a couple of good jokes too and 50 Cent has a semi-decent cameo.

Fixed.