Sony introduces the world to Next Gen

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Now, people are saying this demo isn't achievable since they'd have to add enemies and AI. Did you even pay attention to the demonstration? This demo makes it so that adding enemies and focusing on AI will be EASIER. Enemies, AI and other gameplay elements won't detract from the visuals. That is the beauty of this engine and why it's considered revolutionary. Xbots are pressed that Sony got this win.

:mjlol:
To be so ignorant and so sure of yourself:wow:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
As clever as this rendering tech may be, polycounts were already on the way out as a limitation for game assets—it sounds awesome that billions of polygons can be used, but it it doesn't mean we're going to be able to render film-quality environment scans with ease. To get results like you see in the tech demo you'll need some good hardware, but it is within reach of today's gaming PCs.

"A number of different components are required to render at this level of detail," says Sweeney. "One is GPU performance and GPU architecture to draw an incredible amount of geometry. You're talking about a very large number of teraflops being required for this. The other is the ability to load and stream it efficiently."

Would this demo run on my PC with a RTX 2070 Super? Yes, according to Libreri, and I should get "pretty good" performance. For comparison, the PlayStation 5 GPU the demo video was captured on achieves 10.28 teraflops, while the RTX 2070 Super hits just over 9 teraflops.
Unreal Engine 5 tech demo uses 'film-quality' assets, runs on today's hardware | PC Gamer

Current high end PCs are able to run this demo. Still impressive and looks much better than RDR 2 imo. But read the red bolded. Anyone saying this demo was mostly due to SSDs or that SSDs are "true next gen" is out of their minds.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Unreal Engine 5 tech demo uses 'film-quality' assets, runs on today's hardware | PC Gamer

Current high end PCs are able to run this demo. Still impressive and looks much better than RDR 2 imo. But read the bolded. Anyone saying this demo was mostly due to SSDs or that SSDs are "true next gen" is out of their minds.
Hold on, that's not accurate.

The end scene specifically when she drops down the canyon was largely based on the SSD streaming so fast.

The other parts before not necessarily but this part was due to the SSD.
The whole quote says that:
"A number of different components are required to render this level of detail, right?" offers Sweeney. "One is the GPU performance and GPU architecture to draw an incredible amount of geometry that you're talking about - a very large number of teraflops being required for this. The other is the ability to load and stream it efficiently. One of the big efforts that's been done and is ongoing in Unreal Engine 5 now is optimising for next generation storage to make loading faster by multiples of current performance. Not just a little bit faster but a lot faster, so that you can bring in this geometry and display it, despite it not all fitting and memory, you know, taking advantage of next generation SSD architectures and everything else... Sony is pioneering here with the PlayStation 5 architecture. It's got a God-tier storage system which is pretty far ahead of PCs, but on a high-end PC with an SSD and especially with NVMe, you get awesome performance too."
He didn't say just a RTX 2070 and you're good with a HDD. The SSD is needed to stream all that data near the end. This is from the devs, not random people.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

The end scene specifically when she drops down the canyon was largely based on the SSD streaming so fast.

He didn't say just a RTX 2070 and you're good with a HDD. The SSD is needed to stream all that data near the end. This is from the devs, not random people.
Im
Not even sure why hes bringing up pcs in this :dwillhuh:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

I know. SSDs was for the flying part. But I'm talking about the WHOLE demo. I'm seeing lots and lots of fanboys online saying high end PCs/Xbox Series X cant replicate this due to that Sweeney quote.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I know. SSDs was for the flying part. But I'm talking about the WHOLE demo. I'm seeing lots and lots of fanboys online saying high end PCs/Xbox Series X cant replicate this due to that Sweeney quote.
To be fair I don't really see much people (here) saying that. "fanboys" will say anything. There's like 1 or 2 dudes on here that might've said that but :mjlol: I don't take ramblings from uninformed people on Twitter or youtube comments. I wish they would drop the demo for this so people can try it out on their current rigs especially on HDDs.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
To be fair I don't really see much people (here) saying that. "fanboys" will say anything. There's like 1 or 2 dudes on here that might've said that but :mjlol: I don't take ramblings from uninformed people on Twitter or youtube comments. I wish they would drop the demo for this so people can try it out on their current rigs especially on HDDs.