Something that's never talked about in the black community is middle class kids that

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Crimson Breh the hottest rappers out are dudes like drake. It seems every popular rapper either just wants Love(Drake) or Peace(Wiz).
So why isn't everyone non violent.:jawalrus:

I do know what you talking about tho I grew up with nikkas who had both parents but still wanted to bang. shyt I grew up in middle class. Mom was taking care of me and my two sister. She was making about 45,000 and thats with hella Ot every week. Every male on my pops side is GD, including my pops. It really just comes down to the parents middle class or not .

No offense, but this is really more like working class, or the very beginning of the range of middle class, if you're raising a family on this.

My mom made around this much money, and raising a family of three on this, I considered us very working class.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
No offense, but this is really more like working class, or the very beginning of the range of middle class, if you're raising a family on this.

My mom made around this much money, and raising a family of three on this, I considered us very working class.
Being that hes grown now, that 45K was prob a good 10-15 years ago, when it equated to much more money in today's terms. As an econ/finance dude you should know that...

The median American household income is currently ~36K... I think that is the definition of middle class :manny:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
you can be middle class and still live in the hood.

Caldlo

Rookie
Daps
Great thread.

I grew up and went to school in a predominantly white suburb where the median household income was ~$90k. The situation I saw w/ the blacks there was pretty unique, I think it would have been an incredible sociological study. From what I observed there, I think hip-hop plays a big part in the black middle class underachieving-- but it's only able to do so because of deficiencies in parenting and/or knowledge of black history.

I've never been able to come across any press on it, but the story was that a large percent of the black population in this suburb came in after the city of Atlanta tore down some projects to make way for the Olympics in 1996. Supposedly, the city of Atlanta wanted to do right for the people that were being displaced, so some arrangement was made so that these people would get some sort of subsidized housing and relocation to this affluent suburb w/ great schools.

As a consequence, there was a dynamic at the high school I went to where you had black kids whose parents were doctors and lawyers rubbing shoulders with black kids from single parent families w/ hoodish backgrounds. In addition, the black kids composed ~10% of the population of this HS that was ~70 if not 80% white...in a county that went for McCain by ~70% in '08.

I had black friends and classmates who ended up underachieving because they gave in to attacks on their identity both white people and other black people (I remember one of the black dudes from a less well-off background yelling "Black people steal! That's what we do!" in a locker room after getting caught stealing something from someone's locker). Luckily enough, I started reading about sociology & black history early enough to just get pissed off when some white kids suggested I was acting white by not acting out stereotypes. It was also infuriating to hear this from white proto-conservatives for a number of reasons.