Something that's never talked about in the black community is middle class kids that

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You falling for the same shyt black women fall for when they see a brotha with a white girl. That shyt immediately catches their eye and is logged into their memory so every one they see just reafirms to them that black guys are going for white chicks left and right when all the while they ignore the overwhelming majority of the black guys who walked past them with black women on their arms.

So for you when you see a black guy messing up and he has 2 parents and doesnt live in the hood you start questioning all those stories about how kids in 2 parent households in good neighborhoods are much better off. But then you ignore all the other kids who arent acting a fool. Go to an actual hood school then go to a black school in a better neighborhood, its fukkin night and day.

I'm talking about strictly what I seen with my own eyes. I'm not denying that a lot middle class dudes go on to do good things, but there are way too many nikkas that were given a heard start and got influenced by hood shyt and they never amounted to anything

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Yeah, but I think that goes on in white communities too. I grew up in predominantly white areas and many of those kids just sail through school not doing shyt despite their parents being fairly well-off.

Same with CACs.

My theory is this---years ago, it was lot easier becoming relatively well-off with just a high school degree or a bachelors from a shyt school in a Mickey Mouse subject. I know tons of boomers like this. They aren't the most intelligent people, but worked sufficiently hard (which really wasn't that hard on an absolute scale) and got decent >50k/year jobs.

In this economic environment, it isn't that easy. Their kids inherited their mediocre intelligence, don't want to work hard or only want to work as hard as their parents did in the past. That doesn't cut it in an America where the real unemployment rate is over 10% and where entry-level jobs require more hard skills compared to 10-30 years ago. As a result, you've got a large swath of kids who have amounted to shyt despite their middle class, and even upper-middle class upbringing. I graduated HS with a lot of kids who ended up this way.

CrossBones

Louder than words
Daps
Reppin
Vice City
Never amount to shyt.

I had a lot of dudes in my High school that came from two parent homes in good neighborhoods that started selling drugs, banging etc.

Same with the girl's so many of them got knocked up in high school

You got nikkas at college that walk around a acting tough, trying to fight at parties and shyt

We always harp on the hood nikkas that are doing bad, but it's a large percentage of non hood dudes that start doing dirt.

From what I seen rap music does a lot to influence these guys negatively

I got a friend who goes to fsu and said the same. kids are playdoh soft but wanna look like theyre thugging in a safe environment. its like theyre trying to prove their manhood at the same time theyre privileged. still, its stupid to me :stopitslime:

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Just because you are middle class and live in a good area with two parents doesn't mean that you have a good upbringing, your parents could still never motivate you to do anything and often be a very negative influence

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
If you don't think hiphop factors into to this then you're playing your self

it's not about hip hop, it's about a lot of middle class black kids straddling the line between the hood and middle class - they're at the same public schools with the super hood kids (that was my issue, which is why my parents made me go to a private HS - they saw me getting caught up), they grew up in communities where the hood wasn't too far away, and they got sucked into the life...or at least they tried to be about that life.

i got a friend like that now, went to the same catholic HS as me, went to elementary/middle school up in the hills (rich folks), got a scholly to morehouse, but found a way to fukk that up, came home and went further into the streets of east o and caught an attempted murder charge. that wasn't hip hop, that was him getting too involved with the streets because they were accessible

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
I'm talking about strictly what I seen with my own eyes. I'm not denying that a lot middle class dudes go on to do good things, but there are way too many nikkas that were given a heard start and got influenced by hood shyt and they never amounted to anything

Same thing with white kids though. The biggest druggy at my HS was a white kid who had a professor for a mom and a corporate manager type for a father.

A Chinese guy at my school was one of those stereotypical rice car driving, fake wanna be hood clowns and his pops was a dentist.

Some kids just gonna act a fool regardless of where they grow up, that goes for all races.

And lets be real, there arent too many schools where middle class black kids go and the "hood" kids dont also go. In the vast majority of the cases they go to the same school its just that the "hood" kids all stay in a small section of town people try to stay away from. So its not like the middle class kids who are prone to fukking up wont be exposed to that life.

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
Just because you are middle class and live in a good area with two parents doesn't mean that you have a good upbringing, your parents could still never motivate you to do anything and often be a very negative influence

:yes:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
At some point the kids have to take responsibility

My parents were strict as hell, but until I got to college I didn't do homework, cause I could coast by on tests w/o that shyt, and would rather spend my time rapping + doing what I wanted to do

I could have gone a lot farther if I applied myself 100%, and despite my parents efforts I still fukked up a bit. And I had 2 educated African (aka BUST THAT ASS) parents

Its not hip hop, its not parents, its not the school, its not friends... its the choices and kind of person the kid makes/is. Every advantage helps, but if the kid tries hard enough they can throw that all away.

Ramdam made a good point about kids being clueless to how hard it actually is for kids today, and how little they realize it.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
At some point the kids have to take responsibility

My parents were strict as hell, but until I got to college I didn't do homework, cause I could coast by on tests w/o that shyt, and would rather spend my time rapping + doing what I wanted to do

I could have gone a lot farther if I applied myself 100%, and despite my parents efforts I still fukked up a bit. And I had 2 educated African (aka BUST THAT ASS) parents

Its not hip hop, its not parents, its not the school, its not friends... its the choices and kind of person the kid makes/is. Every advantage helps, but if the kid tries hard enough they can throw that all away.

Ramdam made a good point about kids being clueless to how hard it actually is for kids today, and how little they realize it.

Breh, this is me to the letter. Even the African parents

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
I live in a Black middle class community and I see this sh*t all the time. But blaming Hip-Hop is a cop out. I would suggest reading John Ugbo's Black American Students in An Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement and to go back a bit further E. Franklin Frazier's Black Bourgeoisie. White collar middle class Black kids having issues with education goes way back.

Links...
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Bourgeo...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1339448886&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Black-American-Students-Affluent-Suburb/dp/080584516X

Nancy Trillosi

punch drunk l♥ve
Daps
Reppin
Southeast
I live in a Black middle class community and I see this sh*t all the time. But blaming Hip-Hop is a cop out. I would suggest reading John Ugbo's Black American Students in An Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement and to go back a bit further E. Franklin Frazier's Black Bourgeoisie. White collar middle class Black kids having issues with education goes way back.

Links...
Amazon.com: Black Bourgeoisie: The Book That Brought the Shock of Self-Revelation to Middle-Class Blacks in America (9780684832418): E. Franklin Frazier: Books

Amazon.com: Black American Students in An Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement (Sociocultural, Political, and Historical Studies in Education) (9780805845167): John U. Ogbu, With the Assist Davis: Books

These look like good reads. Definitely going to check these out.