Someone please explain the economics of mattress stores

Daps
Every time I go past a mattress store there are only one or two cars in the parking lot and the only person I see through the windows is the lone employee. Obviously, the stores get customers or else they wouldn't be in business, but what time do people shop for mattresses? How many mattresses do these stores have to sell in a month to make money?

@PS4, can you shed some light on this?

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Believe it or not they make a lot of money through a section 8 type of program, they sell furniture on the cheap to poor people and get government compensation, that's why you see so many furniture Stores in the hood

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
You ever checked out the prices of some of these mattresses... some of these shyts go from $3-5k just for a mattress/boxspring.

they don't really need to sell that many to make money... they get alot of business off the fact that kids grow up, people move out, and sleeping on 20 year old mattresses aint wavy

for most people it's:

- i need a mattress, i have X amount to spend, and i'll buy the most comfortable one i can for what i have to spend.

not too much to it,unless you're really gonna drop big money into a tempurpedic.

Family Man

Banned
Daps
Every time I go past a mattress store there are only one or two cars in the parking lot and the only person I see through the windows is the lone employee. Obviously, the stores get customers or else they wouldn't be in business, but what time do people shop for mattresses? How many mattresses do these stores have to sell in a month to make money?

@PS4, can you shed some light on this?

My cousin had the bright idea to open up one a couple of years ago. That shyt folded in less than six months and pretty much bankrupted him and his family. I used to hang out with him a lot in his store and got an idea of what the challenges were in running a mattress store. It was a stupid idea from the start but no one in the family had the balls to explicitly tell him how dumb it was.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Believe it or not they make a lot of money through a section 8 type of program, they sell furniture on the cheap to poor people and get government compensation, that's why you see so many furniture Stores in the hood

You're talking about rent to own furniture, not shyt like a Bassett or Ashley store.

them fukkers are predatory lenders, the same reason you never see Rent-to-own furniture stores in nice areas is the same reason you only see check cashing spots in the hood.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
My cousin had the bright idea to open up one a couple of years ago. That shyt folded in less than six months and pretty much bankrupted him and his family. I used to hang out with him a lot in his store and got an idea of what the challenges were in running a mattress store. It was a stupid idea from the start but no one in the family had the balls to explicitly tell him how dumb it was.

Out of all the types of businesses he could have opened, why did he choose a mattress store?

Takerstani

Extraterrestrial
Supporter
Daps
Government front business like Radio Shack.

Expound? :ohhh:

Everyone home I've ever been in has a mattress in it, so the economics of it isn't a mystery to me. Now how Arby's is staying open needs to be investigated. :mindblown: