So…Will Next-Gen Be All-Digital?

Will Sony and Microsoft Be All Digital Next-Gen?

• Yes (Both)

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • No (Both)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Only Microsoft

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Only Sony

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In light of this week’s news of the PS5 Pro, it seems Sony and Microsoft are trying to get physical up out of here sooner rather than later. This could very well be the last “traditional” console gen.

We started this gen with built in drives for both the PS5 and Series X with cheaper all digital options. Then in the same gen Sony phased out the OG with the built in drive with the slim line model with a detachable drive and a optional disk drive accessory, to then having their most premium model not even coming with the disk drive. Similarly, Microsoft introduced an all-digital Series X model without the option of even adding the drive and they’ve been pretty up front about their hopes to transition to all-digital.

They started this transition last gen and they’ve gone full throttle this gen. My PS4 + PS5 + Xbox One library is pretty much 90% digital but even I’m not comfortable with an all-digital console. I saw reports of Sony going into people’s libraries and deleting Concord. I can’t support stuff like that man.:francis:

UNATTACHED

OMG What happened to Virgil?
Daps
Ya'll physical media dudes are the minority now. I've been all digital since the xbone ps4 gen but I never thought that physical media would get phased out.

I don't think that they will completely get rid of physical media but I won't be suprised if disk drives end up having to be bought separately like the ps5 pro.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
i've been all digital for the past three gens, but i do like having the disc drive for movies in case i lose internet during a storm and can't stream anything.
Don't use the discs for gaming anymore though

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
i've been all digital for the past three gens, but i do like having the disc drive for movies in case i lose internet during a storm and can't stream anything.
Don't use the discs for gaming anymore though
Yeah Ive been solely digital since the end of the PS3 generation
and can still play all those games.
Im sorry I don't care. I don't buy CD's or Blu rays neither

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
Idk if it'll happen to both, but it's absolutely coming. I think it was last year that digital sales finally hit 50% or more of most counted sales. Younger kids don't know nothing about swapping discs with friends or trading in at gamestop.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Personally I would like an option for disc drives but I can see all digital being the move

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
If next gen is going to be all digital, then there’s needs to be multiple options for consumers to buy those games.

You can’t have these companies out here being a monopoly and able to control prices of digital games at their will.

The government is going to need to step in.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
:manny:
If they take away my options to go physical, I'm going full pirates/gamepass for most any game that isn't something I'd cop day/month 1?
I'm tired of arguing with musty cacs on social media about the importance of owning what you paid for over the 'ease' of downloading and playing under their terms, because the minute they get the chance, then the price goes up.
But unfortunately, the white gaming community is only concerned about Sweetbaby Inc and "woke" to fully usher this shyt in with no qualms.​

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
It will be all digital with optional disc drive for backwards compatibility. The numbers continue to grow in digital favor. It’s 75% right now and continuing to grow. It’s been gone as standard on laptops and desktops for years now. It’s over as standard

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
They should just make it modular and sell the disc drive as an accessory for those interested in it. Didn't sega do something like that back in the day?

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
In light of this week’s news of the PS5 Pro, it seems Sony and Microsoft are trying to get physical up out of here sooner rather than later. This could very well be the last “traditional” console gen.

We started this gen with built in drives for both the PS5 and Series X with cheaper all digital options. Then in the same gen Sony phased out the OG with the built in drive with the slim line model with a detachable drive and a optional disk drive accessory, to then having their most premium model not even coming with the disk drive. Similarly, Microsoft introduced an all-digital Series X model without the option of even adding the drive and they’ve been pretty up front about their hopes to transition to all-digital.

They started this transition last gen and they’ve gone full throttle this gen. My PS4 + PS5 + Xbox One library is pretty much 90% digital but even I’m not comfortable with an all-digital console. I saw reports of Sony going into people’s libraries and deleting Concord. I can’t support stuff like that man.:francis:
Music is all digital as well as PC (which people conveniently ignore)

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Nah they'll probably launch with digital being the main version and either have a disc version or have a disc attachment.

I think ps6 will be all digital with the option to buy the disc attachment for $100.

If their 100% digital, I wouldn't buy consoles again. I'm happy Nintendo is at least still using the cartridges