So we running with the “DaveChapelle is for white ppl” narrative now?

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
It's not a misinterpretation nor is it recent. I've felt this way for years

I'm not saying the Boondocks is without it's merits but there are definitely glimpses of Mcgrueder feeling like he's God's gift to nikkas

It's a vibe I admittedly can't articulate completely but definitely believe when I notice it. But look at something like Chris Rocks "Black People vs Nikkas". That joke came from the type of personality I'm getting at.(Rock eventually said he regrets this joke for what it's worth)

I feel the same way about Drake and Donald Glover. Quietly look at black folks like :scust:but make their bread selling black culture

I'm not saying what you feel is invalid or you're looking at things the wrong way. The Boondocks wasn't a perfect show. It admittedly became less earnest over time, focusing more on Riley, Granddad, and Uncle Ruckus than Huey. Season four felt to me like exactly what you're describing. That's when the show became a parody of itself and some of what it did was legitimately uncomfortable ("Early Bird Special," "Freedomland").

But I actually look at The Boondocks similar to that Chris Rock joke. Criticism of the black community within the black community is something that black people inherently understand. The criticism can be valid. But when it crosses over to white people, they ignore the context and nuance and just say, "See, these Negros are stupid! Aaron McGruder/Chris Rock/Dave Chappelle said so!" It's not for them to understand, and then the comedy gets used as an example of internalized racism when that wasn't the original point.

I'm just saying that there's a reason why The Boondocks worked so well in the 2000s, and why it probably wouldn't work so well in the 2020s. There are definitely people out there that wouldn't get it and want it out of here, like what's happening with Chappelle.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not saying what you feel is invalid or you're looking at things the wrong way. The Boondocks wasn't a perfect show. It admittedly became less earnest over time, focusing more on Riley, Granddad, and Uncle Ruckus than Huey. Season four felt to me like exactly what you're describing. That's when the show became a parody of itself and some of what it did was legitimately uncomfortable ("Early Bird Special," "Freedomland").

But I actually look at The Boondocks similar to that Chris Rock joke. Criticism of the black community within the black community is something that black people inherently understand. The criticism can be valid. But when it crosses over to white people, they ignore the context and nuance and just say, "See, these Negros are stupid! Aaron McGruder/Chris Rock/Dave Chappelle said so!" It's not for them to understand, and then the comedy gets used as an example of internalized racism when that wasn't the original point.

I'm just saying that there's a reason why The Boondocks worked so well in the 2000s, and why it probably wouldn't work so well in the 2020s. There are definitely people out there that wouldn't get it and want it out of here, like what's happening with Chappelle.
I agree with everything you just said.

That still don't change my views on McGruder:russ:

I think Atlanta is possibly top 3 most accurate portrayals of blackness I've ever seen, but I still think Donald Glover don't like black people

The reason I mentioned Black People vs Nikkas is because in these types of discussions it's one way aggression on the hood without the criticizers acknowledging their role in shyt being fukked up(running from the hood instead of building it up and so on)

Last edited:

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
If I went on TV and preached the importance of two parent homes I bet a lot of right wing people would also agree with me, does that mean my point is wrong?

Cancel culture is a load of bullshyt that doesn't help black people (especially straight men) in any shape or form. It just so happens that right wing cacs also hate it. Stop being so binary and mindfukked.

Right. If anything its those sissy liberals and blue check mark faggits that want to end him

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Most black comedians biggest problem is they do the same 15 minute set/one hour special for 15 fukking years

Nikkas using jokes they did on Comicview in the 90s in 2014 type shyt

And Arnez J got ran out of comedy for stealing jokes

Lavell has had a decent career. Earthquake has been touring with Kevin Hart but he's definitely one that surprises me for not being bigger. Earthquake is a legit GOAT
Arnez J stole jokes? I never heard of this. I haven’t seen him in a long time. Too many guys have too similar jokes so i wouldn’t be surprised

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly… but look at this though.. most of the black comedians killing it when Chappelle was coming up fell the fukk off for some reason. There’s tons of black comedians that are underrated even in the black community. Chappelle killed in most of his movies. I never cared about his early tv shows, I always liked his comedy though. The man got started with Ed McMahon and Star Search. Of course there would be crossover ability with that. Man Earthquake, Tony Roberts, Arnez J, Lavelle Crawford are some of the funniest people out here yet they’re not up there with Ced, Steve Harvey, etc… why is that?:ohhh:

Chris and Neal Brennan were joking about how Hollywood had a unwritten rule of allowing only one hot black comedian at a time. Neal told the story of HBO telling Dave, “we got Chris, what do we need you for?” before Dave even made that video shytting on Comedy Central for selling his show to HBO

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
It's not a misinterpretation nor is it recent. I've felt this way for years

I'm not saying the Boondocks is without it's merits but there are definitely glimpses of Mcgrueder feeling like he's God's gift to nikkas

It's a vibe I admittedly can't articulate completely but definitely believe when I notice it. But look at something like Chris Rocks "Black People vs Nikkas". That joke came from the type of personality I'm getting at.(Rock eventually said he regrets this joke for what it's worth)

I feel the same way about Drake and Donald Glover. Quietly look at black folks like :scust:but make their bread selling black culture

This probably deserves it's own thread if hadn't been done before.

My sister is really into that show and after watching 3 episodes I started wondering if it was satire or a thin veil for contempt :patrice:.

The sadder part was that I use to enjoy the comic strip which was way different than the show (at least the little bit I saw).

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Imma start saying shyt on here thats gonna upset some people.

The people who say shyt like that are nikkas that like dumb nikka shyt.

The nikkas that chris rock was talking about to be specific lol

The nikkas that really can only associate with other nikkas so they NEED a forum like this lol

The nikkas that keep our stereotypes alive.

That the nikkas that get upset about the chris rock bit, because ironically, they are the ones chris is talking about.

And if you dont think thats 50% of thecoli then i got some bad news for you lmao

You dont have a predominantly black forum without some nikkas that gravitate here because they cant really associate with anyone else.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

My sister is really into that show and after watching 3 episodes I started wondering if it was satire or a thin veil for contempt :patrice:.

The sadder part was that I use to enjoy the comic strip which was way different than the show (at least the little bit I saw).
I've struggled with it for years because the show is hilarious and does try to make points but it is a THIN ass line

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps

Smart man, you get it.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

If you look around...black people have plenty of fukking contempt for each other in real life. The Boondocks is uniquely 'black' in exposing and addressing that, largely through Ruckas and Huey (c00ns and 'conscious' brothas). The two groups of people who usually have the most contempt for 'black culture' for different reasons.

Imagine drill music being a thing while the Boondocks was on....I'm sure if they had addressed it, it would have come off contemptuous and RIGHTFULLY SO.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I think that since He is close friends with Kanye, the c00n of c00ns, and Joe Rogan, a white supremist sympathizer, I don't care that he is friends with Talib and Mos Def.

Talib got an interview where you already know what time it is with him talking about how he wasn't much of a fan of Joe Rogan but then they drank and smoked weed at a party and I guess they cool now. So yeah, not biting.

For the record I don't fukk with Dave cause virtually every white person I know that scores higher than a 4 on the racist scale LOVES dave chappelle.

Same white dudes who argue they should be able to proudly wave the confederate flag if they want are the same white dudes asking me if I watched his last stand up special on netflix and then proceed to tell me about all the tranny jokes like i give a fukk.
At least you’re being honest.