So we running with the “DaveChapelle is for white ppl” narrative now?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
no we're not. that's just the strawman you keep trying with :unimpressed:
reality is his tv show resulted in him gaining popularity with EVERYONE. that's fair
if your argument is he had black fans before then, ok then what's the point of even talking about core audiences. I'm a hannibal burress fan, i'm black. I wouldn't say his core audience is black just cause i like him :mjtf: cause i literally never hear black ppl i know reference or act like they care about his comedy. it is what it is. i don't even know what the problem is with admitting that dave had a niche, mostly white, audience back then. it's like his black fans get offended with being lumped in with cacs or something.

edit: maybe "core audience" is the wrong way to frame this cause it's not about 99% of your fans being black, more so whether or not you have any relevance in black pop culture. as mentioned people like pryor, paul mooney, etc had plenty of white fans but also plenty of relevance among black people. dave simply didn't have that to a large degree in the late 90s/early 2000s
The late 90s/early 2000s is when he blew up with everyone though. His rise amongst white paralleled with his rise amongst blacks. But when it comes comedy and pop culture, if you don’t come up in the Chitlin circuit or in exclusively black rooms, then you didn’t come up with a “black” fan base. It’s basically the idea of “paying your dues”. Comedians can be real petty about other comics who didn’t “pay their dues” so to speak. And Dave’s quick rise as an “everybody comedian” is probably why this narrative was put in the air at the time. But when it came to comedy fans, it was never either or back then. If you were black, you could fukk with Chappelle and fukk with Kings Of Comedy or ComicView. His style of comedy(while brilliant) wasn’t something that black ppl by large “just couldn’t get with”. He just had more access to these white spaces. He could play either room. It’s not like black people found out about him and only started fukking with him after Chappelle Show. Yes he became more popular with black people, but he also gained a bigger white audience just based on its popularity and how good it was.

:yeshrug:
Is Dave married to a black woman ?

Does Dave have black kids ?

Where does Dave live at ? What are the demographics ?

Dave spends a lot of time talking about the struggles of poor people. Where did he grow up ? What did his parents do for a living ?

He counts Kanye West as one of his close friends ? What do you think about Kanye ?

He counts Joe Rogan as one of his close friends ? What do you think about Joe Rogan ?

Didn't Neal Brennan use to work with Dave ? What do you think about Neal Brennan ?
@Nostalgic :mjlol:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York

This is dumb as fukk. White people love The Boondocks just as much as Chappelle's Show. Uncle Ruckus is like an icon to some of them. :mjpls:

Yep

Although Boondocks is hilarious I've always gotten the vibe that Aaron McGruder don't like black people and Boondocks was his vehicle to finger wag

Added with his blatant worship of Asian culture in the show he's looks funny in the light

On the other hand, I don't agree with this.

Imagine shows like Fresh Prince, Martin, Wayans Bros, and Everybody Hates Chris in animated form. That's what The Boondocks was. Discussing the aspects of black culture in a way that was over-the-top and exaggerated, while being satirical. No different from what a show like South Park does.

It's just under a microscope because it's a predominantly black animated series. Even in 2021, we don't have a lot of those. It's why people have called out The Proud Family for reinforcing colorism, to the point where the creator has been interviewed about it. We're going to be fixated on images of us because we don't see a lot of them. When Family Guy or South Park makes a joke about black people, it's like :yeshrug:. When Boondocks makes a joke about black people, it's like :ohhh:. Guys like Aaron McGruder come around.......when do they come around?

That's why I don’t know how that Boondocks reboot is going to work. Not just because of the John Witherspoon situation, but the show was raw and visceral in a way that easily makes people uncomfortable in 2021. It came out during a time where the market was fresh and that kind of show could thrive. Nowadays, I don't think people are going to understand what the show's trying to do. Especially since satire can easily be misinterpreted by idiots.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
But Nutty Professor was only 3yrs after Robin Hood Men In Tights. They weren’t that far apart. You always had comedians who could vacillate between the two rooms and two audiences. Again, how many comedians who are uncomfortable with black rooms, gonna get spot on Def Comedy Jam in the 90s? And yes, I get it, Def Comedy Jam wasn’t his vehicle to stardom. But he still made it on there.

I'm not implying he's uncomfortable with black rooms at all, just that he was introduced to white audiences earlier and in a much more dynamic way than a his Def Jam sets or those smaller roles did.

Imagine swapping out Dave for one of the 'Kangs'. Which one? Steve Harvey maybe? He's the least funny but he was the MC. DL? Or do you just add him to the lineup? Who's the closer? Dave or Bernie?

Everybody coming out to soul music, Dave come out to Wu Tang (another creative black entity 'for white people' according to some) :laugh:

iu

Now even at that point, he was a better comic than all of those guys besides maybe Bernie but he would have stood out like a sore thumb in that lineup.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Yep

Although Boondocks is hilarious I've always gotten the vibe that Aaron McGruder don't like black people and Boondocks was his vehicle to finger wag

Added with his blatant worship of Asian culture in the show he's looks funny in the light
Lowkey I kinda agree. :patrice:

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I'm not implying he's uncomfortable with black rooms at all, just that he was introduced to white audiences earlier and in a much more dynamic way than a his Def Jam sets or those smaller roles did.

Imagine swapping out Dave for one of the 'Kangs'. Which one? Steve Harvey maybe? He's the least funny but he was the MC. DL? Or do you just add him to the lineup? Who's the closer? Dave or Bernie?

Everybody coming out to soul music, Dave come out to Wu Tang (another creative black entity 'for white people' according to some) :laugh:

iu

Now even at that point, he was a better comic than all of those guys besides maybe Bernie but he would have stood out like a sore thumb in that lineup.
You right! :hubie:

He might could hold his own and survive, but I couldn’t imagine any of the 4 being swapped out for Dave. :picard:

Couldn’t imagine Dave playing EWF on stage.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Imagine shows like Fresh Prince, Martin, Wayans Bros, and Everybody Hates Chris in animated form. That's what The Boondocks was. Discussing the aspects of black culture in a way that was over-the-top and exaggerated, while being satirical. No different from what a show like South Park does.

It's just under a microscope because it's a predominantly black animated series. Even in 2021, we don't have a lot of those. It's why people have called out The Proud Family for reinforcing colorism, to the point where the creator has been interviewed about it. We're going to be fixated on images of us because we don't see a lot of them. When Family Guy or South Park makes a joke about black people, it's like :yeshrug:. When Boondocks makes a joke about black people, it's like :ohhh:. Guys like Aaron McGruder come around.......when do they come around?

That's why I don’t know how that Boondocks reboot is going to work. Not just because of the John Witherspoon situation, but the show was raw and visceral in a way that easily makes people uncomfortable in 2021. It came out during a time where the market was fresh and that kind of show could thrive. Nowadays, I don't think people are going to understand what the show's trying to do. Especially since satire can easily be misinterpreted by idiots.
It's not a misinterpretation nor is it recent. I've felt this way for years

I'm not saying the Boondocks is without it's merits but there are definitely glimpses of Mcgrueder feeling like he's God's gift to nikkas

It's a vibe I admittedly can't articulate completely but definitely believe when I notice it. But look at something like Chris Rocks "Black People vs Nikkas". That joke came from the type of personality I'm getting at.(Rock eventually said he regrets this joke for what it's worth)

I feel the same way about Drake and Donald Glover. Quietly look at black folks like :scust:but make their bread selling black culture

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

iu

Good point :jbhmm:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The late 90s/early 2000s is when he blew up with everyone though. His rise amongst white paralleled with his rise amongst blacks. But when it comes comedy and pop culture, if you don’t come up in the Chitlin circuit or in exclusively black rooms, then you didn’t come up with a “black” fan base. It’s basically the idea of “paying your dues”. Comedians can be real petty about other comics who didn’t “pay their dues” so to speak. And Dave’s quick rise as an “everybody comedian” is probably why this narrative was put in the air at the time. But when it came to comedy fans, it was never either or back then. If you were black, you could fukk with Chappelle and fukk with Kings Of Comedy or ComicView. His style of comedy(while brilliant) wasn’t something that black ppl by large “just couldn’t get with”. He just had more access to these white spaces. He could play either room. It’s not like black people found out about him and only started fukking with him after Chappelle Show. Yes he became more popular with black people, but he also gained a bigger white audience just based on its popularity and how good it was.

:yeshrug:

@Nostalgic :mjlol:

What’s also being forgotten in this discussion is he started comedy at 14. So he had cut his teeth as a local comedian for four years playing mostly black rooms in black ass DC. Same places Martin, Tony Woods and later Donell Rawlings would hone their craft.

Daps
Reppin
The Caribbean
This is dumb as fukk. White people love The Boondocks just as much as Chappelle's Show. Uncle Ruckus is like an icon to some of them. :mjpls:

It's ironic that they're proping up the Boondocks when arguably there is more satire about the black community than anything Chapelle Show has done. Hell, Huey and Riley are caricatures of the dichotomy between the Hotep and Pookie/Ray Ray. Literally the basis of the Boondocks is to make fun of all the ignorant shyt about the black community from the R. Kelly episode, MLK being brought back to life, their depiction of BET and Oprah. The worst thing I really remember about Chapelle Show that depicted black people in a negative light was the reparations checks skit

White people love Uncle Ruckus. He literally is the main thing they remember from the Boondocks

Last edited:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
:mjlol:

I don’t know who y’all were hanging around, but I went to the theaters with my black friends to watch Hal Baked.

Then I watched Killing em Softly on HBO with my black friends.

Just cause he had universal appeal early in his career doesn’t mean he wasn’t popular with a black audience. He was a prodigy who broke into mainstream rooms without having to spend years proving himself in black only rooms. Same thing happened with Eddie and Chris. They found success early.
Exactly… but look at this though.. most of the black comedians killing it when Chappelle was coming up fell the fukk off for some reason. There’s tons of black comedians that are underrated even in the black community. Chappelle killed in most of his movies. I never cared about his early tv shows, I always liked his comedy though. The man got started with Ed McMahon and Star Search. Of course there would be crossover ability with that. Man Earthquake, Tony Roberts, Arnez J, Lavelle Crawford are some of the funniest people out here yet they’re not up there with Ced, Steve Harvey, etc… why is that?:ohhh:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I meant he is for everybody in the sense that although he isn't doing black comedy, black people still fukk with him. A breh like Hannibal Buress doesn't do black comedy, but black people still don't fukk with him. Dave isn't that.
Yeah he would fit more in with a white audience than black, but I wouldn't call him a comedian majority of black people look the other way at
Hannibal Burress sucks. I heard a bit from him and my lips did not turn once.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly… but look at this though.. most of the black comedians killing it when Chappelle was coming up fell the fukk off for some reason. There’s tons of black comedians that are underrated even in the black community. Chappelle killed in most of his movies. I never cared about his early tv shows, I always liked his comedy though. The man got started with Ed McMahon and Star Search. Of course there would be crossover ability with that. Man Earthquake, Tony Roberts, Arnez J, Lavelle Crawford are some of the funniest people out here yet they’re not up there with Ced, Steve Harvey, etc… why is that?:ohhh:
Most black comedians biggest problem is they do the same 15 minute set/one hour special for 15 fukking years

Nikkas using jokes they did on Comicview in the 90s in 2014 type shyt

And Arnez J got ran out of comedy for stealing jokes

Lavell has had a decent career. Earthquake has been touring with Kevin Hart but he's definitely one that surprises me for not being bigger. Earthquake is a legit GOAT

Creflo ½ Dollar

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
no we're not. that's just the strawman you keep trying with :unimpressed:
reality is his tv show resulted in him gaining popularity with EVERYONE. that's fair
if your argument is he had black fans before then, ok then what's the point of even talking about core audiences. I'm a hannibal burress fan, i'm black. I wouldn't say his core audience is black just cause i like him :mjtf: cause i literally never hear black ppl i know reference or act like they care about his comedy. it is what it is. i don't even know what the problem is with admitting that dave had a niche, mostly white, audience back then. it's like his black fans get offended with being lumped in with cacs or something.

edit: maybe "core audience" is the wrong way to frame this cause it's not about 99% of your fans being black, more so whether or not you have any relevance in black pop culture. as mentioned people like pryor, paul mooney, etc had plenty of white fans but also plenty of relevance among black people. dave simply didn't have that to a large degree in the late 90s/early 2000s

It’s funny that you making very true and logical points but people going overboard to make it seem like you just saying some ridiculous shyt. The Coli be hell sometimes. Too much hero worship nowadays.