So, this generation we have the following younger brothas carrying movies

Are you confident in the next generation of black male dramatic actors?

• Yes, i like the movies they're putting out now or at least their performance in them

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Yes, and even more so, I like them as they become directors and producers and writers

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No, they're overrated and not on the level of the previous generation

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • We'll see...

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • osu sucks

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Good summary.

Group is probably better but 20-30 years ago was a better time to be in something culturally impactful for black people.

My question has been who will be the potential next Denzel of this generation. With Chad gone (who I felt like had the talent and exposure combo to be it), I’m not sure we have one. Maybe they’ll emerge later.

But I think the overall talent in black Hollywood is deeper but there are less opportunities and output to show it.

Edit: and I know the premise of the thread is focusing on actors but the second option talks about directors so I’m gonna shoutout peele
I don't think any of them will really go down Denzel's lane. But He really didn't start popping off until his mid-late 30s. And most of the brehs listed are early 30s, so plenty of time.

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
Yea I'm confident in the young male black actors in drama and action roles. I try to watch whatever I see them in.

Are there any younger rappers that made a big leap into acting? I can't remember many sticking with acting after awhile. The last that seems like they really made the leap and stuck with acting is Kid Cudi.

Also add Keke Palmer to the young black actress list. I enjoy watching her in stuff always charismatic and hilarious.

Edit: I enjoyed Taylour Paige in Zola and thought she was really good. I haven't seen anything else she's been in but I looked at her imdb and she's in 2 movies I was going to watch already. The next Beverly Hills Cop movie and The Toxic Avenger remake. Looks like since in a movie with Jonathan Majors called Magazine Dreams that was released at Sundance. There no trailer for that right now. She's probably most known for arguing with Kendrick Lamar on his last album but I think she's on the rise.

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Yea I'm confident in the young male black actors in drama and action roles. I try to watch whatever I see them in.

Are there any younger rappers that made a big leap into acting? I can't remember many sticking with acting after awhile. The last that seems like they really made the leap and stuck with acting is Kid Cudi.

Also add Keke Palmer to the young black actress list. I enjoy watching her in stuff always charismatic and hilarious.

Edit: I enjoyed Taylour Paige in Zola and thought she was really good. I haven't seen anything else she's been in but I looked at her imdb and she's in 2 movies I was going to watch already. The next Beverly Hills Cop movie and The Toxic Avenger remake. Looks like since in a movie with Jonathan Majors called Magazine Dreams that was released at Sundance. There no trailer for that right now. She's probably most known for arguing with Kendrick Lamar on his last album but I think she's on the rise.
how the hell am I just now hearing about this :skip:

whats next class of nukem high

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
In hollywood, we have the following men leading or having integral roles in dramatic parts, and all have hits they were a huge part of, as well as respected performances:

Jonathan Majors

Damson Idris
Damson-Idris-5-Things-SS-ftr.jpg

MBJ
Michael-B-Jordan.jpg

Daniel Kaluuya
Daniel-Kaluuya.jpg

John David Washington
John-David-Washington.jpg

Donald Glover
Donald-Glover.jpg

John Boyega
John-Boyega.jpg

Tyler James Williams
Tyler-James-Williams.jpg

Aldis Hoge
Aldis-Hodge.jpg

Oshea Jackson Jr
OShea-Jackson-Jr..jpg

Lakeith Stanfied
Lakeith-Stanfield.jpg

Winston Duke
WInston-Duke.jpg

Bryan Tyree Henry
Brian-Tyree-Henry.jpg

Trevante Rhodes
Trevante-Thodes.jpg

suggest others that I might have forgotten.

How would you compare this era of black dramatic actors, to those in the previous generation [like, larenz tate, cuba gooding jr, Omar Epps, wood harris, taye diggs, Mekhi Phifer, Bokeem Woodbine, Jamie Foxx, etc]?
I like these dudes, but i feel like we're missing the Will Smith of this era. A dude who can just star in a generic movie and carry it purely off his charisma. All of these guys are trying to either be the next Denzel or the next Wesley Snipes. I can't picture any of them carrying a more comedic action film like Will did. There all kinda serious.
Except Tyler James Williams, but i don't know if he's big enough yet to do a Men in Black type franchise or something like that.
Donald Glover seems like he could if he wanted, but seems like mostly is a supporting character in those big budget films.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Good summary.

Group is probably better but 20-30 years ago was a better time to be in something culturally impactful for black people.

My question has been who will be the potential next Denzel of this generation. With Chad gone (who I felt like had the talent and exposure combo to be it), I’m not sure we have one. Maybe they’ll emerge later.

But I think the overall talent in black Hollywood is deeper but there are less opportunities and output to show it.

Edit: and I know the premise of the thread is focusing on actors but the second option talks about directors so I’m gonna shoutout peele
I see it in Lakeith more than anyone. Majors just after. Lakeith is gonna get the right leading role and blow everyone away and get the best actor awards one day.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I like these dudes, but i feel like we're missing the Will Smith of this era. A dude who can just star in a generic movie and carry it purely off his charisma. All of these guys are trying to either be the next Denzel or the next Wesley Snipes. I can't picture any of them carrying a more comedic action film like Will did. There all kinda serious.
Except Tyler James Williams, but i don't know if he's big enough yet to do a Men in Black type franchise or something like that.
Donald Glover seems like he could if he wanted, but seems like mostly is a supporting character in those big budget films.
Its Donald Glover. But i dont think he wants that type of career.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Btw, i have more faith in this crop of actors than the previous, simply because i could see every one of them getting supporting and starring oscars and emmys already, based on their current acting abilities and performances, if they havent already, and are getting better.

Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tessa Thompson, Zendaya, Amandla Sternberg, Nathalie Emmanuel, Zoe Kravitz - had big little lies which was highly acclaimed on HBO, Yara is going to be tinkerbell, zazie beats, Laura harrier, kiersey Clemons, that storm chick - they’re all in big movies, tv shows or Oscar bait films. Secondly, no one was comparing who’s “really doing it” btwn the sexes, I was making the point that all of the young black actresses with any type of A-list profile are all mixed outside lupita (who, one, inst young anymore, and two, isn’t American black either…unambiguously black American actresses under 35 are not “on”/being cast right now)

Edit: and the chick from barbarian - Georgina Campbell - is starting to get booked in bigger roles
Are ya'll saying Storm Reid is mixed?She's full Black iirc.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
This. Unless a huge shift happens aint nobody getting anything new or Interesting to work with forreal.
I think the top of this generation, basically this list is getting pretty solid stories and scripts. I mean, Atlanta, Moonlight ( :dame:), get out, knives out, were all major hits with acclaimed writing and stories...and majors is boxoffice gold and steals the show with his acting. Black Christian Bale.

Now, outside of this list definitely needs more. Especially on the comedy side. Dramatically this list is probably fighting for the same roles, and anyone below is on Tubi