So, this generation we have the following younger brothas carrying movies

Are you confident in the next generation of black male dramatic actors?

• Yes, i like the movies they're putting out now or at least their performance in them

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Yes, and even more so, I like them as they become directors and producers and writers

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No, they're overrated and not on the level of the previous generation

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • We'll see...

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • osu sucks

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
In hollywood, we have the following men leading or having integral roles in dramatic parts, and all have hits they were a huge part of, as well as respected performances:

Jonathan Majors

Damson Idris
Damson-Idris-5-Things-SS-ftr.jpg

MBJ
Michael-B-Jordan.jpg

Daniel Kaluuya
Daniel-Kaluuya.jpg

John David Washington
John-David-Washington.jpg

Donald Glover
Donald-Glover.jpg

John Boyega
John-Boyega.jpg

Tyler James Williams
Tyler-James-Williams.jpg

Aldis Hoge
Aldis-Hodge.jpg

Oshea Jackson Jr
OShea-Jackson-Jr..jpg

Lakeith Stanfied
Lakeith-Stanfield.jpg

Winston Duke
WInston-Duke.jpg

Bryan Tyree Henry
Brian-Tyree-Henry.jpg

Trevante Rhodes
Trevante-Thodes.jpg

suggest others that I might have forgotten.

How would you compare this era of black dramatic actors, to those in the previous generation [like, larenz tate, cuba gooding jr, Omar Epps, wood harris, taye diggs, Mekhi Phifer, Bokeem Woodbine, Jamie Foxx, etc]?

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Ehhh... so far from what I've seen they all seem to good at picking their roles.

Boyega mis-stepped but I think he will get back on track

They might pick good roles but young writers/directors aren't giving them the material previous generations got to work with

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Needs more light skin

i kid…

edit: now that I think about it, all the young ”black“ actresses in big films are mixed aside from lupita :francis:
I dunno about that :patrice:

The only three young mixed actresses I can think of...
Zendaya is the only one really starring in a bunch of big flicks.
Zoe Kravitz outside of The Batman is mostly in indie stuff
Yara Shahidi is tv stuff

But.. outside of Zendaya and Storm Reid, none of the young black/or mixed actresses are really doing it like the young brothas.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I dunno about that :patrice:

The only three young mixed actresses I can think of...
Zendaya is the only one really starring in a bunch of big flicks.
Zoe Kravitz outside of The Batman is mostly in indie stuff
Yara Shahidi is tv stuff

But.. outside of Zendaya and Storm Reid, none of the young black/or mixed actresses are really doing it like the young brothas.
Tessa Thompson, Zendaya, Amandla Sternberg, Nathalie Emmanuel, Zoe Kravitz - had big little lies which was highly acclaimed on HBO, Yara is going to be tinkerbell, zazie beats, Laura harrier, kiersey Clemons - they’re all in big movies, tv shows or Oscar bait films. Secondly, no one was comparing who’s “really doing it” btwn the sexes, I was making the point that all of the young black actresses with any type of A-list profile are all mixed outside lupita (who, one, inst young anymore, and two, isn’t American black either…unambiguously black American actresses under 35 are not “on”/being cast right now)

Edit: and the chick from barbarian - Georgina Campbell - is starting to get booked in bigger roles

Last edited:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
They might pick good roles but young writers/directors aren't giving them the material previous generations got to work with
Good summary.

Group is probably better but 20-30 years ago was a better time to be in something culturally impactful for black people.

My question has been who will be the potential next Denzel of this generation. With Chad gone (who I felt like had the talent and exposure combo to be it), I’m not sure we have one. Maybe they’ll emerge later.

But I think the overall talent in black Hollywood is deeper but there are less opportunities and output to show it.

Edit: and I know the premise of the thread is focusing on actors but the second option talks about directors so I’m gonna shoutout peele

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Tessa Thompson, Zendaya, Amandla Sternberg, Nathalie Emmanuel, Zoe Kravitz - had big little lies which was highly acclaimed on HBO, Yara is going to be tinkerbell, zazie beats, Laura harrier, kiersey Clemons, that storm chick - they’re all in big movies, tv shows or Oscar bait films. Secondly, no one was comparing who’s “really doing it” btwn the sexes, I was making the point that all of the young black actresses with any type of A-list profile are all mixed outside lupita (who, one, inst young anymore, and two, isn’t American black either…unambiguously black American actresses under 35 are not “on”/being cast right now)

Edit: and the chick from barbarian - Georgina Campbell - is starting to get booked in bigger roles
I get your point