So tablets really made toys obsolete for these lil' kids huh?

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I got to spend Christmas at home this year with my family, including my 5 year old niece. She had the most ballin Christmas ever...mini foosball table, mini air hockey table, Frozen dolls, Super Mario Party, and a $200 Barbie Dream House :huhldup:...the Barbie House had her attention for about 3 hours...then she spent the rest of the day playing games on the PBS kids app on her mom's iPad. Looked at mom that bought the house like

giphy.gif

When I was 5 I was strictly about Marble Mazes and action figures. It's a Brave New World out here man.

LwAv6.gif
My 5 year old still loves toys and he loves video games. But toys are def being replaced overall tho. That’s part of the parents fault to show kids the value of toys vs just handing them an iPad and letting them go about their business.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
My kids unwrapped hundreds of dollars worth of shyt, played with a few things for about an hour, then went right back to the tablets and laptops. This is the second year this shyt has happened...my wife can be mad if she wants to but I'm not buying them shyt next year but some clothes
shyt is disheartening. My son fortunately is into anything that morphes or transforms. He loves Transformers, Voltron, Pokémon, DBZ etc etc. So fortunately he’s still into toys.

Wildin

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Umm kids need higher tech. Drones and rc cars for the boys.

My Lil female relatives are all about LOL surprise.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
I know times change but it's still different to me. I have two neices that are 10 & 11 respectively. They'll beg for a sleepover, get together, go to opposite sides of the room, and be the ipads all day unless you actually make them put it down and interact with one another. :mindblown:

To them, that's fun. It is what it is. I have two daughters myself (4 & 2) and my 4 year old is already lowkey asking for one. Getting her one for her birthday and locking that shyt down heavy with the parental controls.

3WDPkQ.gif

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
My daughter is 3, she'll be 4 in March. My wife and I were always mindful of her screen time on phones early. Since she's been 3, we noticed how she was developing an addiction for YouTube.

Over the last 2 months, we cut down her phone time drastically. She only gets it when her mom is doing her hair or if we're grocery shopping... Which is a lot less now with COVID-19. She knows to not even ask us for our phones at this point because it's not happening.

For Christmas, she opened up her stuff and played with it all day. Her mom got her a kitchen set (which was a bytch assembling...had me questioning the manufacturer like y'all lazy muhfukkas really couldn't have put any of this shyt together before you shipped it, but I digress), she was cooking up orders all day... I bought Jenga, we played for like 2 hours... The box says ages 6 and up, but my lil girl was snatching them blocks out and stacking em like she knew what she was doing

I was legit like...
:ohhh:

What I'll say is, in a lot of ways, our kids emulate us. They do what they see us do. If are heads are down dug into our screens for hours and hours with them right next to us, they think that's what they should be doing too. We as parents have to be mindful and stop using technology as an out when it comes to dealing with our kids. It can be tiring, but I think it'll be worth it in the long run, because the applications and algorithms are designed to get us addicted to this shyt. It's already changed adults, now it's literally sculpting and molding a society full of introverted digital zombies

Boogie

Big Homie
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
My daughter loves her switch and tablet :francis:

I make sure she spends at least an hour doing something educational though

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
Yeah, my niece (who is 7) is always glued to her mom’s/my sister’s cell phone or tablet. Nothing crazy, she’s just always on YouTube Kids lol.

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Screens might command more time than before with regards to kids, but I find that they will still appreciate physical toys IF they are the type of toys the kid likes. My daughter still loves barbie dolls despite also loving gaming on her iPad. My son is a different story though