So nobody cares that the Supreme Court stealth killed the voting rights act?

Commander in Chiefin

Passing blunts and bills $$$
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Green Party
:mindblown:

I dont understand how people cannot have an ID in this day and age. Most states, if not all, have a law on the books that requires people to have ID on them at all times. It amazes me when I come across people that dont have one and they say some dumb shyt like "I just never got around to it" :what:

Lucky_Lefty

Dreams Are Colder Than Death...
Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
This majority of our generation disgust me. Tried to set a google hangout with some peeps on Twitter last night but all nikkas wanted to talk about was the Catfish ep. shyts just tiring trying to get people to give a fukk.

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
:mindblown:

I dont understand how people cannot have an ID in this day and age. Most states, if not all, have a law on the books that requires people to have ID on them at all times. It amazes me when I come across people that dont have one and they say some dumb shyt like "I just never got around to it" :what:

:merchant: where do you live? 1930s Nazi Germany??

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
Whats Wrong With Requiring Id To Vote.? :dahell:

It's not only that, these states can basically change the voting times rule to anything that disadvantages minority voters. Like Florida....they can now have voting times on Tuesday from 9am to noon. Because there is only a certain segment of society that is able to vote at those times. But the good thing about this that maybe minorities will get angry enough to keep voting in big numbers. The Republicans tried to pull this bullshyt last election and minorities came out in full force.

ltheghost

Payin Debts.... N40
Daps
Reppin
Japan, but from the 989
the best breakdown of it is in the NYTs...

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...reme-court-decision-on-voting-rights-act.html

Section 4 was ruled unconstitutional...Section 2 which protects minorities was upheld. Pretty much the Justices ruled that section 4 was irrelevent in this day and age given a change of the times. Here's an excerpt...

Overall I never bought the left-wing siren blaring, hand ringing idea that ID requirements to vote was ever "racist" or classcist in any sense. It's just a ridiculous argument, and I don't think any comprehensive study has been known to support that.

On th flip side the right-wing claim of "voter fraud" hasn't been proven either. And they've lost quite a few cases in court claiming so.

"which leaves Congress the opportunity to draft new rules"--- and there is the rub. Do we expect THIS Congress to draft any new rules? And please lawd don't let Obama say he is favor of new laws. The fukkers in Congress (especially the House) will come out with new VRA section that only applies to white landowning males.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The same day many of the states restrained by it before are already gonna implement voter ID laws. I swear I just heard that in North Carolina they wanna push through a triple whammy and reduce early voting, get rid of Sunday voting, and same day voter registration. All those are clearly targeted at reducing the minority vote.

Ashamed to be from NC. Ever since the repub's won shyt has gone back to 1955 :to:

little4209

All Star
Daps
It's very disappointing

It's also shocking to me when I talk to my coworkers and they have no idea what's going on in the world..they dont ever vote, never watch or read the news...I don't know if it's generational/cultural but they're in their 40s/white/smaller towns...I'm in my 20s and use the internets regularly...but sometimes it's just odd how some people just don't have the interest in knowing what's going on in the world around them...

Lucky_Lefty

Daps
Reppin
Purgatory
It's very disappointing

It's also shocking to me when I talk to my coworkers and they have no idea what's going on in the world..they dont ever vote, never watch or read the news...I don't know if it's generational/cultural but they're in their 40s/white/smaller towns...I'm in my 20s and use the internets regularly...but sometimes it's just odd how some people just don't have the interest in knowing what's going on in the world around them...

Dog I work in Policy and either these fools are oblivious to what's going on in the world around them or they just truly don't give a fukk. They're more concerned w/ trying to maneuver themselves a job on K Street than humanity and decency as a whole. That's why I'm trying to bounce from this area. It's more about career progression and being completely void of compassion towards their fellow man