So Kick-Ass 2 flopped heavy (and the Butler cruised to 1st place) this weekend.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56066819/

The Weinstein Co.’s “Lee DanielsThe Butler” cleaned up at the domestic box office this weekend, over-performing with an estimated $25 million in three days, while Universal’s “Kick-Ass 2″ delivered a soft $13.6 million domestically, not strong enough even to claim second place.

Holding very well in its sophomore outing, Warner Bros.-New Line’s R-rated comedy “We’re the Millers,” down just 33%, outgrossed “Kick-Ass 2″ handily, with an estimated $17.8 million. The holdover continues its steady march to nine figures, coming nearly $70 million after only 12 days of release.

Tying with “Kick-Ass,” Sony’s “Elysium” fell a respectable 54% in its second frame, bringing the pic’s Stateside 10-day cume to nearly $56 million.

Total domestic B.O. stayed relatively flat with last year, when “The Expendables 2″ debuted with more than $28 million.

See Also: Film Review: ‘Lee DanielsThe Butler

The year-over-year hold virtually ensures summer box office will hit record heights, »

- Andrew Stewart

FTR, Wikipedia lists the Kick-Ass budget as 28 million.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Too many big budget summer blockbusters that all basically follow the same story beats. I actually liked the first Kick Ass film but I have no desire to see another one. Most the big budget films this year have been underwhelming to one degree or another. As critical as I was about Iron Man 3 that actually turned out ot be the best of the bunch and it at least had the balls to take some risks and mess with the formula a bit. Everything else this summer has been paint by numbers shyt and/or incredibly flawed.

I gotta give Marvel credit though for having the sense NOT to release Thor 2 during the summer. Because it's not dropping till fall it's probably gonna do numbers and not have much competition.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
I'm curious to see what it's about. I never could have predicted a sequel to that movie but I guess Hollywood will recycle anything successful.

I'll most likely wait for this to hit the net so those numbers are skewed. :smugfavre:

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
It cost 28 million to make it already made half that back .... How's that a flop?
If you want to talk about a flop talk about Percy Jackson it cost 90 mil to make and made like 10

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
They did it to themselves. What the fukk is the movie even about?

I know what it's about. I saw the first one. So I know the basic premise. But by watching previews, which is what most the world does to get interested in a movie..... You see NOTHING

Ok they are back, more people want to join up, and the son (I think) wants to kill them?? I know Jim Carey said he doesn't want to promote. Sooooo you don't promote him yourself? Show him in the previews doing Jim Carey shyt. He's still the 20 mil Hollywood star. Show him fighting. Doing some main villain shyt. Is he even the villain? Who's the villain? What's the plot? Where's this going?

Nothing I've seen has made me want to go run out and see this shyt. Not a single damn thing

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Too many big budget summer blockbusters that all basically follow the same story beats.
Yeah, shyt's ridiculous.

In another thread about big budget blockbusters, someone brought up how growing up, you'd have maybe 3-4 blockbusters. One Memorial Day, the 4th, and maybe on in between or closer to August. And maybe you'd have some surprise hits.

But now, it's way too many. You can't have 15-20 big budget movies in a year and not have some flop horribly.

2015 will be a fukking bloodbath.

Bond 24
Finding Dory (Finding Nemo sequel)
Avengers 2
Pirates of the Carribean 5
Ted 2
Inferno (DaVinci Code series)
Ant-Man
Superman v. Batman
Prometheus 2
Hunger Games 3
WarCraft
Assassin's Creed
Inside Out (Pixar film)
Terminator 5
Alvin and the Chipmunks 4
Smurfs 3
Fantastic 4 reboot
Star Wars Episode VII
Jurassic Park 4
Independence Day 2
Crimson Peak (Guillermo del Toro ghost movie)
Kung Fu Panda 3
Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun
Mission Impossible 5
American Sniper (Movie about Chris Kyle, starring Bradley Cooper directed by Spielberg)
American Crow (QT movie)

Last edited:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To be fair the second film is based on a comic book just like the first film was.

There was actually a sequel comic called "Kick Ass 2" which is supposed to show the growth and development of Kick Ass and Hit Girl. I never finished reading the comic because it seemed wack IMO, but it looks like the movie is definitely inspired by the second comic book series.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, shyt's ridiculous.

In another thread about big budget blockbusters, someone brought up how growing up, you'd have maybe 3-4 blockbusters. One Memorial Day, the 4th, and maybe on in between or closer to August. And maybe you'd have some surprise hits.

But now, it's way too many. You can't have 15-20 big budget movies in a year and not have some flop horribly.

2015 will be a fukking bloodbath.

Bond 24
Finding Dory (Finding Nemo sequel)
Avengers 2
Pirates of the Carribean 5
Ant-Man
Superman v. Batman
Prometheus 2
Hunger Games 3
WarCraft
Assassin's Creed
Inside Out (Pixar film)
Terminator 5
Alvin and the Chipmunks 4
Smurfs 3
Fantastic 4 reboot
Star Wars Episode VII
Jurassic Park 4
Independence Day 2
Crimson Peak (Guillermo del Toro ghost movie)
Kung Fu Panda 3
Adventures of Tintin: Prisoners of the Sun
Mission Impossible 5
American Sniper (Movie about Chris Kyle, starring Bradley Cooper directed by Spielberg)
American Crow (QT movie)

And the fukked up thing is NOBODY was clamoring for most of those movies.

Of the movies on that list the only ones people are really checking for are Bond 24, Avengers 2, Superman/Batman, Hunger Games, and Star Wars Episode VII.

As I said in my other post though, Marvel seems to know what they're doing with their films. They're not trying to release them all in the middle of the summer pack and they're willing to change up the formula to make their films stand out.

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
i prefer the comic book.

as a comic book fan i won't ever check out a movie inspired by Mark Millar's comics because that is all they are. Wanted was the biggest offender and kick-ass well if he is so ready to sell out more power to him i just won't waste my money again.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i prefer the comic book.

as a comic book fan i won't ever check out a movie inspired by Mark Millar's comics because that is all they are. Wanted was the biggest offender and kick-ass well if he is so ready to sell out more power to him i just won't waste my money again.

If you read though it again, the Comic book Wanted is based on isn't even all that good.

MIllar has definitely sold out, virtually everything he writes ends up having a movie in development for it. I loath to think what's gonna happen with Fantastic Four with him being a creative consultant.

The Great One

Swag Surfin
Daps

Bud Bundy

A Bundy never cares
Daps
If you read though it again, the Comic book Wanted is based on isn't even all that good.

MIllar has definitely sold out, virtually everything he writes ends up having a movie in development for it. I loath to think what's gonna happen with Fantastic Four with him being a creative consultant.

:manny: it is juvenile but his idea was original and was alot more interesting then what they came up with for the movie.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
It cost 28 million to make it already made half that back .... How's that a flop?
If you want to talk about a flop talk about Percy Jackson it cost 90 mil to make and made like 10

It's usually called a flop when a sequel makes less money than the original on its opening weekend. Plus the number they need to break even is a lot higher than 28 million.