So I just started getting into Dragonball Z (documenting my running thoughts as I watch as well)

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Goku is a lot more interesting if you've seen the OG Dragonball, IMO. (Especially the King Piccolo Saga).

Speaking of OG Dragonball, I recommend checking out that series if you ever have the time.
I would say that the peak of Dragonball/DBZ as a whole really starts when Tien shows up around the 80 episode mark and lasts all the way through the end of Namek (although the Android/Cell saga had it's moments).

And yes, Vegeta's Namek run is legendary. :banderas:
Yeah, to me, you have to start from the beginning. That's 153 episodes/17 manga volumes worth of story and relationships you're missing out on by skipping it. Totally agree with the prime years, too. The 22nd Tournament - hell, I'd go as far as Tao showing up in the RR arc too - is when the tonal shift really begins.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, to me, you have to start from the beginning. That's 153 episodes/17 manga volumes worth of story and relationships you're missing out on by skipping it. Totally agree with the prime years, too. The 22nd Tournament - hell, I'd go as far as Tao showing up in the RR arc too - is when the tonal shift really begins.

Mercenary Tao :whew:

On top of that, the OG Dragonball gives a lot of insight on Goku's relationships.
You see how integral Bulma really is to everything, since her inventions kick off the whole series.
You see why Goku and Krillin are so tight, and how they came up together as kids. (Agreeing with OP that he doesn't get enough props)
Roshi was one of the most thorough characters--you'll see how he trained Goku, how he did work in the tournaments, and his :sitdown: antics with Bulma.
You'll learn about Goku's grandpa Gohan :to:
You'll see how savage Tien and ESPECIALLY Piccolo used to really be back in the day.
Even Yamcha got to throw hands with the best of them a couple of times :wow:

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
The Funimation Dub is the way to go and the first Season of Dragon Ball Z is where to start. You can always go back and watch Dragon Ball...and then Kai and Super...other dubs and all that other shyt if you become a superfan. People can say all they want about voices, pacing, music, subtitles...whatever the fukk. But when it comes to having discussions with people about this show...the majority of people who are fans, the majority of videos online and youtube come from The Funimation Dub...thats the easiest way to get into this show...facts.
For example...if someone mentions Vegeta's Speech and you decide to search for it on Youtube...the first 10+ results is gonna be The Funimation Dub

with the Vegeta and Goku voices most DBZ fans associate them with and beautifully complex soundtrack from Bruce Falconour that we've all come to love.

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
The Funimation Dub is the way to go and the first Season of Dragon Ball Z is where to start. You can always go back and watch Dragon Ball...and then Kai and Super...other dubs and all that other shyt if you become a superfan. People can say all they want about voices, pacing, music, subtitles...whatever the fukk. But when it comes to having discussions with people about this show...the majority of people who are fans, the majority of videos online and youtube come from The Funimation Dub...thats the easiest way to get into this show...facts.
For example...if someone mentions Vegeta's Speech and you decide to search for it on Youtube...the first 10+ results is gonna be The Funimation Dub

with the Vegeta and Goku voices most DBZ fans associate them with and beautifully complex soundtrack from Bruce Falconour that we've all come to love.

All of this is a fallacy. The reason why the dub is discussed first here is because that's the version that American fans saw growing up, and as you and it's defender keep showing, y'all are nostalgic for it. But the series would've blown up if it actually received good treatment too, like it did literally everywhere else around the world.

You can't call yourself a true fan and not be familiar with the original version considering how much changes are in the original dub. And with all of the shytty voice acting and corny dialogue in the Frieza and Android sagas it's a train wreck to try to watch as a grown ass man whose unfamiliar with the show.

And telling somebody NOT to watch the beginning of the show until later is fukking ludicrous. Funis treatment of the show and starting with Z fukked y'all up. The Kid and Adult Goku eras are arbitrarily divided in the anime but if you want the whole story you have to start from the beginning, as you would with any story. You wouldn't tell somebody to start watching Breaking Bad at season 3, right? Or a Naruto fan to start with Shippuden?

Last edited: